The Student Room Group

Why do I feel like I've wasted my life when I'm only 18

I was never the popular person in school. I was quiet and reserved but still had a great group of friends and enjoyed school in general. However, we never went out on the weekends or half term so I never really had a social life outside of school. Before I started sixth form I'd hope it would get better but things are still the same, really. I always feel like I'm missing out because on Facebook and Snapchat there's people my age going out every weekend and they look like they're having the time of their lives and I've never really had that? I spend most of my time reading, writing and revising and I just feel like I'm wasting my youth. This probably sounds really stupid but it's starting to get me down :frown:
uni is the place to do it... forget school...uni changes u.
I just realised how s hit my social life has been outside school times, I wish I could go back and fix that by going out and do stuff that ive missed out on, anyways how are things setting out for you?
DUDE!!!!!!!! i literally just went through the exact same feeling/phase!!! im only 17 but let me tell you now ive always felt like a bit of a loser ... my friends were not much of the type to go out outside of school to have fun or at least not with me ...:frown: even when i suggested many things they would always find excuses and turn me down. and so far all ive been feeling is that my life is boring and stuck in this dying routine of school, revision, home, eat and sleep .. i dont have time to find myself or do things i genuinely enjoy. honestly, it's just about realizing what you really want to do and not wasting life doing things just for the sake of it . because life is SHORT !!! stop making excuses and prioritize yourself for once! give yourself at least one kind of cheat day a week where you go out and find a place or thing to do/go. things and places won't change you or your circumstances YOU WILL!!! i thought the same thinking when i become 16 ill have fun and things will be differnet.. but nothing changed and then i said when i get to sixth form things will be different.. but nothing changed .. you know why? because things don't change your life YOU DO ! you have to make a conscious decision to have fun. you could leave your house right now and even go for a walk or visit your local library, go to a local cafe ... etc.. anything that's a change of atmosphere. and the main thing i learned is to stop comparing yourself to others ! because it only makes you feel bad for something you don't have which is out of your control, you are your own person, you have your own separate experiences. just organize one thing with your friends or even family - even something small you don't necessarily need money for going out and having a good time .... then from there slowly build your way up to do more adventurous things. even going out and doing things you enjoy even at home by yourself you will find is extremely enjoyable. G ood luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask me !
Original post by Imzy010
DUDE!!!!!!!! i literally just went through the exact same feeling/phase!!! im only 17 but let me tell you now ive always felt like a bit of a loser ... my friends were not much of the type to go out outside of school to have fun or at least not with me ...:frown: even when i suggested many things they would always find excuses and turn me down. and so far all ive been feeling is that my life is boring and stuck in this dying routine of school, revision, home, eat and sleep .. i dont have time to find myself or do things i genuinely enjoy. honestly, it's just about realizing what you really want to do and not wasting life doing things just for the sake of it . because life is SHORT !!! stop making excuses and prioritize yourself for once! give yourself at least one kind of cheat day a week where you go out and find a place or thing to do/go. things and places won't change you or your circumstances YOU WILL!!! i thought the same thinking when i become 16 ill have fun and things will be differnet.. but nothing changed and then i said when i get to sixth form things will be different.. but nothing changed .. you know why? because things don't change your life YOU DO ! you have to make a conscious decision to have fun. you could leave your house right now and even go for a walk or visit your local library, go to a local cafe ... etc.. anything that's a change of atmosphere. and the main thing i learned is to stop comparing yourself to others ! because it only makes you feel bad for something you don't have which is out of your control, you are your own person, you have your own separate experiences. just organize one thing with your friends or even family - even something small you don't necessarily need money for going out and having a good time .... then from there slowly build your way up to do more adventurous things. even going out and doing things you enjoy even at home by yourself you will find is extremely enjoyable. G ood luck and if you have any questions feel free to ask me !

Only if I went through this phase when I was 17. I would be a different person rn, I guess 19 aint that bad though.
You haven't wasted it yet, but there is still time.
Reply 6
Because you're only 18 and you don't know any better YET. It's normal but you need to snap out of it. Do some deep thinking and reason/convince yourself that 18 is far too young to have wasted your life. Heck when I was 18 I felt similar, but then I thought well most of my life up to this point I was under 10 years old. Your lifetime to this point has been 18 years, most of which you were a child, in another 'lifetime' of 18 years you'll be 36, which still isn't old. Ask yourself what you can do in 18 years from now. Say, you haven't got good grades from school, go to college, get necessary grades (2 years), do a college course (2 years), go to uni (4 years), now you're 26, get a good job and you've still got 10 years left to spare in that 'lifetime' before you hit 36. Set goals, accomplish them, or sit and wait to die. Up to you.
Original post by Anonymous
Only if I went through this phase when I was 17. I would be a different person rn, I guess 19 aint that bad though.

don't get me wrong . I've realised how to change and what i need to do to change but i still have much to learn and actually do. right now im at the point of realization and i still am discovering what to do with my life since i dont have many or any hobbies or a clue what i wnat to do in my life career and passion-wise... but i have told myself that after A levels which for me will be when im 18 is when i will start to make changes on what i want to do as i will have more free time and wont have to worry about studying :P right now im still stuck :smile:

some things just take time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending