The Student Room Group

worried about missing grades and uni offer

I'm worried about missing my grades and not getting into uni and it is coming in the way of my revision all I can think about is that.

Scroll to see replies

What is your offer and your uni?
Reply 2
Original post by ProRoadman
What is your offer and your uni?

ucl and A*AA
I think it’s best to just focus on you exams right now. Keep your expectations low and forget about you offer. Your exams come first. Don’t forget to think positive thoughts.
Reply 4
I think it’s best to just focus on you exams right now. Keep your expectations low and forget about you offer. Your exams come first. Don’t forget to think positive thoughts.

Yeah I'm trying but when an exam doesn't go well it automatically comes to mind.
Keep this in mind. If you are stressed, you are more likely to do worse. Calm down and don’t focus on any negative thoughts.
Reply 6
Keep this in mind. If you are stressed, you are more likely to do worse. Calm down and don’t focus on any negative thoughts.

thanks for the advice :smile:
I will try to do that but I'm really stressed about what my options are if I do not meet my grades. I go to a grammar school so only very few people miss out on their grades and that worries me not knowing what I will have to do incase I do miss my offer
I'm in the same situation with UCL. Everybody else thinks I'll get the grades, but I'm actually being realistic, not pessimistic, when I say I'm not. However, do you trust yourself? I trust myself that, no matter what my grades, I'll get into uni. Whether that means a slightly different uni or a foundation year, who knows. But I know that wherever I end up going to uni, I trust myself to be happy and succeed there, and if I'm not happy, I trust myself to maybe transfer or work hard to do my Master's elsewhere.
Good luck! Hope to see you there!
Original post by dartagnankillian
I'm in the same situation with UCL. Everybody else thinks I'll get the grades, but I'm actually being realistic, not pessimistic, when I say I'm not. However, do you trust yourself? I trust myself that, no matter what my grades, I'll get into uni. Whether that means a slightly different uni or a foundation year, who knows. But I know that wherever I end up going to uni, I trust myself to be happy and succeed there, and if I'm not happy, I trust myself to maybe transfer or work hard to do my Master's elsewhere.

Dw. Just focus on your exams. It’s best to forget about your offer for now and focus on the exams. Hope my advice helps.
Reply 9

Thanks that really did make me think in a positive way. Everyone thinks I'm being negative but it just I do want to prepare myself for the worst and so I that point it doesn't seem like its the end of the world, but I think sometimes I think too much about that and it hinders me in my revision
good luck to you too and I too hope to see you there! what course are you applying for ?
At the grades you are likely to get even if you miss ucl's offer you will get into other excellent universities. There are likely to be many places available through clearing at aab for most subjects except medicine. Every year there are russell groups in clearing for nearly every subject. There is also the possibility that ucl will take you with a dropped grade.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/clearing/11032272/Top-universities-in-Clearing-last-year.html
Original post by student004
Thanks that really did make me think in a positive way. Everyone thinks I'm being negative but it just I do want to prepare myself for the worst and so I that point it doesn't seem like its the end of the world, but I think sometimes I think too much about that and it hinders me in my revision
good luck to you too and I too hope to see you there! what course are you applying for ?

Yeah I get you. And thank you! Hopefully I'll be doing Civil Engineering, how about you? Also it's tragic because at UCL (for Civil Eng at least) they're bringing in contextual offers... for NEXT year... which I would 100% qualify for lmao. Just my luck :colonhash: Also I think I get stressed out because I'm always comparing myself to people who appear better than me, and I focus on them rather than realising that I'm actually doing pretty well; not that acknowledging it is actually helping me though. Oh well, just three weeks and then it's over! :smile:
Reply 12
Forget Uni offers at the moment and concentrate on your exams. If you don't get the grades it's not the end of the world. If you have to go into clearing then you may be pleasantly surprised. I didn't get my grades, went into clearing and ended up in university in London. A place I didn't even consider. Had the best time of my life and loved it so much, stayed on to do a PhD.

Honestly - things will work out for a reason. Funnily enough I ended up as a post doc at UCL!

Good luck ... and don't worry! ☘️😘☘️
Original post by Ezzy19
Forget Uni offers at the moment and concentrate on your exams. If you don't get the grades it's not the end of the world. If you have to go into clearing then you may be pleasantly surprised. I didn't get my grades, went into clearing and ended up in university in London. A place I didn't even consider. Had the best time of my life and loved it so much, stayed on to do a PhD.

Honestly - things will work out for a reason. Funnily enough I ended up as a post doc at UCL!

Ah honestly I like stories like this, thank you :smile: where'd you go in the end?
Yeah I get you. And thank you! Hopefully I'll be doing Civil Engineering, how about you? Also it's tragic because at UCL (for Civil Eng at least) they're bringing in contextual offers... for NEXT year... which I would 100% qualify for lmao. Just my luck :colonhash: Also I think I get stressed out because I'm always comparing myself to people who appear better than me, and I focus on them rather than realising that I'm actually doing pretty well; not that acknowledging it is actually helping me though. Oh well, just three weeks and then it's over! :smile:

true just three weeks left
and Ah I see. I am applying for theoretical physics and it seems like for the next year they've lowered the grade requirements so I get you. Its just I don't want to have to take a gap year because I feel I wouldn't get much done and I'll also get out of the habit of studying and especially maths, unis don't like it when physics students take a gap year and Idk if they will accept resits so it will be inconvenient but we'll see.
Original post by Ezzy19

Hearing about other people is infact inspiring and it keeps me going
Original post by student004
true just three weeks left
and Ah I see. I am applying for theoretical physics and it seems like for the next year they've lowered the grade requirements so I get you. Its just I don't want to have to take a gap year because I feel I wouldn't get much done and I'll also get out of the habit of studying and especially maths, unis don't like it when physics students take a gap year and Idk if they will accept resits so it will be inconvenient but we'll see.

I get you, I REALLY don't want to take a gap year either for basically the same reason. So I'd probably do a foundation year or something instead, as I really wouldn't want to stay at my school for another year.
But as I said, trust that you'll be able to make it all work out in the end; the only person who is going to determine where you end up is yourself, after all :smile:
I get you, I REALLY don't want to take a gap year either for basically the same reason. So I'd probably do a foundation year or something instead, as I really wouldn't want to stay at my school for another year.
But as I said, trust that you'll be able to make it all work out in the end; the only person who is going to determine where you end up is yourself, after all :smile:

all we can really do now is just study and then after that deal with later
Lancaster, Leeds, Kings, Cardiff all offer AAB so you will certainly have options which hopefully you wont end up needing.
Original post by swanseajack1
Lancaster, Leeds, Kings, Cardiff all offer AAB so you will certainly have options which hopefully you wont end up needing.

I did want to stay in London. Kings is A*AB/AAA so there isn't much fall back

Quick Reply

Latest