The Student Room Group

What is your opinion on the North of England?

Just curious.

I'm from there, to be specific West Yorkshire.

Thoughts? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Lovely beer from the north, such as Timothy Taylors.
Terrible train service- the Transport Secretary should be sacked
Two good cricket teams
Beautiful countryside
Only one good football team in Yorkshire, Huddersfield.
Reply 2
Original post by DSutch
Lovely beer from the north, such as Timothy Taylors.
Terrible train service- the Transport Secretary should be sacked
Two good cricket teams
Beautiful countryside
Only one good football team in Yorkshire, Huddersfield.

I can't say much about the beer as I do not drink.
I've heard about the train service, however, have never been on a train.
Not really into football or cricket.

But I do agree with you only the countryside, it's beautiful, I used to go there all the time when I was little, however, I live in the city.
Some nice places, some not so nice places, a lot of people who are a bit 'look at me I'm a northerner.'

Mostly OK though.
Reply 4
Original post by Wilfred Little
Some nice places, some not so nice places, a lot of people who are a bit 'look at me I'm a northerner.'

Mostly OK though.

I guess those people are just proud where they're from, and I guess you can hear it from their strong accents.
ur from oop north

Mostly OK though.

I think that's due to the North being a unique identity, something which makes us stand out a bit, which in all honesty the South somewhat lacks
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
ur from oop north

Yep. I don't speak with a strong accent though.
I’m from West Yorkshire as well !! And I agree with what someone else has already said, some areas are nice some are not so nice. However this is the case, no matter where in the world you go
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by LibertarianMP
I think that's due to the North being a unique identity, something which makes us stand out a bit, which in all honesty the South somewhat lacks

I don't think 'The North' stands out any more than 'The South'. Northerners probably just think it does.
I don't think 'The North' stands out any more than 'The South'. Northerners probably just think it does.

Yeah, but more emphasis is put on the identity of the North, and I've never heard someone from the South described by the prefix Southerner. Shows like geordie shore also emphasise these differences

We literally have a giant statue to celebrate our identity
Yeah, but more emphasis is put on the identity of the North, and I've never heard someone from the South described by the prefix Southerner. Shows like geordie shore also emphasise these differences

Northerners just care more about it. Southerners don't. Hence my 'look at me I'm a Northerner' comment.

& I've heard people described as southerners loads. You've never heard of southern fairies?
I like it that the North has an identity - the 'South' is a bit of an amorphous thing.

The countryside is very beautiful in places like N. Yorks.

People from cities like Manchester seem to have a strong sense of their own culture and are proud of it, which I admire.

'Geordie shore' was inspired by The Only Way is Essex, surely?

And most Northerners label anybody from anywhere near the M25 as being 'cockneys', even if that is factually incorrect.

I hear 'Londoners' all the time also?

Oh and people from up North have a strange definition of 'Southerner', they think that people from Norfolk are 'Southern', which is weird because the top of Norfolk is just as Northern as Nottngham.

As for West Yorkshire... its alright, better than East Yorkshire but not as nice as North Yorkshire. South Yorkshire is a dump, but its got a bit of the Peak District in it.
Original post by BritishJew
Oh and people from up North have a strange definition of 'Southerner', they think that people from Norfolk are 'Southern', which is weird because the top of Norfolk is just as Northern as Nottngham.

This is true but the reverse is also true for southerners.
Original post by Cod3tte
Just curious.

I'm from there, to be specific West Yorkshire.

Thoughts? :smile:

i live in oldham which is okay i guess but its pretty deprived. thats so peak coz if oldham wasnt as shiz as it sounds, its a pretty okay area to live in. you literally have the country side on one side (15 mins drive from where i live) and then you have manchester city centre on the other (takes 20 mins on the tram) so yeh wudve been nice if it had better economy basically.
'Geordie shore' was inspired by The Only Way is Essex, surely?

And most Northerners label anybody from anywhere near the M25 as being 'cockneys', even if that is factually incorrect.

I hear 'Londoners' all the time also?

As for West Yorkshire... its alright, better than East Yorkshire but not as nice as North Yorkshire. South Yorkshire is a dump, but its got a bit of the Peak District in it.

Norfolk is in East Anglia? I don't think most people would place it in the North, but it's debatable if E. Anglia is part of the 'South'.

The Peak District is in Derbyshire, not Yorkshire.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Norfolk is in East Anglia? I don't think most people would place it in the North, but it's debatable if E. Anglia is part of the 'South'.

The Peak District is in Derbyshire, not Yorkshire.

That's what I'm saying.... A Londoner things Nottingham is 'North', but somebody from Manchester doesn't think Nottingham is North enough.

Its subjective.

This map is probably fair...

Attachment not found
(edited 5 years ago)
That's what I'm saying.... A Londoner things Nottingham is 'North', but somebody from Manchester doesn't think Nottingham is North enough.

Its subjective.

It's not subjective. Nottingham is in the Midlands.
It's where Londoners think poor people and Brexit voters live.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending