The Student Room Group

Are feminists really an issue?

I see sooo many posts on TSR of people(predominently men) bashing on "feminists". I'm not trying to start an argument, I genuinely want to know your opinion because I'm not sure if most of these people actually know what feminism is when they're ripping it apart, and often the term gets confused with "feminazis", which despite having a similar name, are not related in the slightest. Would you avoid dating someone for instance if they told you they were a feminist(male or female)?
Yes they are an issue.

The thing is almost everyone in this country believes in equality but yet only 5% say they are feminists so the question is why does feminism exist when people already agree on equality and have laws that reinforce that? Because feminism isn't about equality.
Reply 2
Feminism is utterly pointless in the UK and the West as a whole as man and women are legally completely equal here. So I don't see the need for feminism here.
Original post by Anonymous
Yes they are an issue.

The thing is almost everyone in this country believes in equality but yet only 5% say they are feminists so the question is why does feminism exist when people already agree on equality and have laws that reinforce that? Because feminism isn't about equality.

I mean, feminism is literally described as "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.", but in my opinion the problem lies with those who call themselves feminists but really aren't, and are instead advocating women's rights on the grounds that women are more powerful and deserve more rights than men. Most people who do this probably don't mean to but it is really damaging to those like myself who call themselves a feminist because although in the eyes of the law(most laws anyway), we are equal, we aren't always in society. But things are changing! Thanks for your input
Original post by marveldinosaur
I mean, feminism is literally described as "the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes.", but in my opinion the problem lies with those who call themselves feminists but really aren't, and are instead advocating women's rights on the grounds that women are more powerful and deserve more rights than men. Most people who do this probably don't mean to but it is really damaging to those like myself who call themselves a feminist because although in the eyes of the law(most laws anyway), we are equal, we aren't always in society. But things are changing! Thanks for your input

Just because it is described as that, it does not mean it IS that. Example all religions say they are "the religion of peace" and yet do the exact opposite especially when the religion is in control of the country.

If you actually read into the original people who came up with feminism and read their books, you will see what their true intentions are hell they even advocate for paedophilia for crying out loud.
Original post by ilem
Feminism is utterly pointless in the UK and the West as a whole as man and women are legally completely equal here. So I don't see the need for feminism here.

I understand that, thank you for your input:smile: Whilst we are mostly equal on all levels, sexual harassment and catcalling is just one example of why I believe we still need feminism. I went in to my local town center recently and was called a "whore" and a "hoe with a squeezable ass"(which is a weird "compliment" in my opinion?) by two different men, both of which were old enough to be my father. I've speculated issues like this are usually caused by the older generation, meaning it will eventually die out, but unfortunately some horrible people our age still think it's appropriate.
Just because it is described as that, it does not mean it IS that. Example all religions say they are "the religion of peace" and yet do the exact opposite especially when the religion is in control of the country.

If you actually read into the original people who came up with feminism and read their books, you will see what their true intentions are hell they even advocate for paedophilia for crying out loud.

Care to enlighten me with the source of this information? I don't disbelieve you but I just want to make sure these claims are true and factual before I do believe you as I don't want to spread fake sh*t.
Reply 7

Entire religions can't speak for themselves, given that most don't have a current spiritual head. Peaceful followers of religions will call their religion the religion of peace. Terrorist nutjobs won't.
Care to enlighten me with the source of this information? I don't disbelieve you but I just want to make sure these claims are true and factual before I do believe you as I don't want to spread fake sh*t.

There has been plenty of information on here but you can still read the books by the original feminists, look up feminism online and read their books like "The Second Sex" where she goes deeply into her relationship with a young boy. Absolutely sick.

Original post by Sinnoh
Entire religions can't speak for themselves, given that most don't have a current spiritual head. Peaceful followers of religions will call their religion the religion of peace. Terrorist nutjobs won't.

I am not speaking of terrorists, I am speaking of what has actually happened in history to do with religion and comparing their sayings to their actions which are similar to feminism. Saying one thing, doing another.
There has been plenty of information on here but you can still read the books by the original feminists, look up feminism online and read their books like "The Second Sex" where she goes deeply into her relationship with a young boy. Absolutely sick.

Okay, Thank you! Don't you think it's slightly hypocritical what you're saying though? You said about entire groups of religious people who believe they are the "religion of peace" and then contradict this. And now you're saying since feminism was founded by someone who was a pedophile that feminism can't have changed at all or been interpreted differently by different people? Does she directly link her pedophilia to her reasons for being a feminist?
Religious groups all have different beliefs within their own group, the same way feminists do. For example I am pro-choice on the abortion debate but some feminists are not.
yes they are

There have been many different feminist movements throughout history and all them were different to each other. E.g. second wave feminism was very different from first wave. Moreover, there was no 'original people' who came up with feminism. Women's rights have always been a issue, with Mary Wollstonecraft being one of the most famous women to have first written a tract, advocating rights for women.
Feminists aren’t an issue, the ‘feminists’ people only pay attention to are the issues. People choose to pay attention to the most radical and lost ideas. Feminists don’t care about whether a green man at a crossing shows more men that women, that’s not a real issue but it’s the issues people pay attention to and hold up to feminists as if it’s the feminists as a whole - and it isn’t.I can’t speak for every feminist, but through every wave there have been reasons for what they are advocating for. Votes, equal pay - everything. It’s more modern now, we are growing, in multiple countries, to having equal pay and we have the vote, however, fundamentally, there are still sexist issues - and feminists acknowledge this amongst all sexes, and between females and males.People are so quick to call feminists problematic but if you educate yourself and look at the people truly emphasising equality, which is what feminists are, anyone who thinks anyone should be more entitled are not feminists at all, then you’ll realise that the majority of the time it’s just men, and sometimes others, bashing a small minority of extra and over the top people who aren’t advocating things for the right reasons so that we can disregard the things women want to make equal because it makes people used to the status quo uncomfortable.
(edited 5 years ago)
*grabs popcorn*

Spoiler

Original post by MillieDunne
Feminists aren’t an issue, the ‘feminists’ people only pay attention to are the issues. People choose to pay attention to the most radical and lost ideas. Feminists don’t care about whether a green man at a crossing shows more men that women, that’s not a real issue but it’s the issues people pay attention to and hold up to feminists as if it’s the feminists as a whole - and it isn’t.I can’t speak for every feminist, but through every wave there have been reasons for what they are advocating for. Votes, equal pay - everything. It’s more modern now, we are growing, in multiple countries, to having equal pay and we have the vote, however, fundamentally, there are still sexist issues - and feminists acknowledge this amongst all sexes, and between females and males.People are so quick to call feminists problematic but if you educate yourself and look at the people truly emphasising equality, which is what feminists are, anyone who thinks anyone should be more entitled are not feminists at all, then you’ll realise that the majority of the time it’s just men, and sometimes others, bashing a small minority of extra and over the top people who aren’t advocating things for the right reasons so that we can disregard the things women want to make equal because it makes people used to the status quo uncomfortable.

I completely agree! Thank you for your informed argument rather than just making assumptions like some unfortunately do.
Original post by Tasting the jiz
*grabs popcorn*

Spoiler

Hahaha, hope the fast is going well! I may have started this thread for entertainment - I do love debates:wink:
I completely agree! Thank you for your informed argument rather than just making assumptions like some unfortunately do.

People are so quick to judge or make opinions without educating themselves. We’re all human, we all think of things in different ways or don’t understand some things, we just need to try and overcome it. :smile:
I thought feminists (mostly) want to improve the rights of women because they believe they're not treated equally not cos they want to be superior
hey i used to be in the same position as you - okay with feminism but curious about non-feminists.

you should watch shoe0nhead. she's a liberal egalitarian who's anti-feminist. i used to refuse to watch any of her videos until i clicked on one out of curiosity, as i decided for once to listen to the other side. she brings up some great points and has debunked anything i believed in prior, like the wage gap and the pink tax.
also i'd recommend watching the red pill :smile:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Shoe0nHead
It's just incredibly exaggerated online the few of feminists who are really radical and hate all men but everyone just gets really defensive about it and says dumb stuff like feminism isn't needed anymore in the west. People don't actually want to read into the stats they just like watching stupid sjw feminazi owned compilations on youtube and then having an unjustified opinion on the whole movement

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending