The Student Room Group

OCR Geography (A Level) Post Exam Discussion

Just had the physics system exams.

All the short answer questions were nice (sediment cells as systems, feedback loops in the cycles, median/interquartile range).

I'm slightly worried by the 16 mark essays. The coasts question was about physical factors influencing the coastline. I evaluated the physical factors but didn't talk about any human factors which I could have. I also wish I referred to a few more landforms rather than just inputs, processes and outputs.

The 16 marker for earth's life systems was okay but again I only evaluated farming and deforestation when I wonder if I should've talked about more.

Thoughts anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I only talked about deforestation and farming and wondered about that too but I think as long as you analysed them in detail and evaluated those methods then it's okay.
I read the physical factors question as evaluate the impacts of different PHYSICAL and not human so i didn't do that either put evaluated which physical factor was most influential.
The feedback loops one was probably my worst question as I waffled about positive loops but was fine with a negative loop.
I was so worried about timings but I managed to finish in time thankfully.
Reply 2
Original post by SJB18
I only talked about deforestation and farming and wondered about that too but I think as long as you analysed them in detail and evaluated those methods then it's okay.
I read the physical factors question as evaluate the impacts of different PHYSICAL and not human so i didn't do that either put evaluated which physical factor was most influential.
The feedback loops one was probably my worst question as I waffled about positive loops but was fine with a negative loop.
I was so worried about timings but I managed to finish in time thankfully.

I sure hope so, as long as there's some evaluation, there's some marks. I stuck with physical factors because we had a 33 mark essay for the specimen debates paper which was about the physical factors and that's all the mark scheme wanted.

On the other hand, sometimes examiners like a broad range of ideas. I had a broad range of physical factors but 'broad' could be taken to mean human factors as well.
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
I sure hope so, as long as there's some evaluation, there's some marks. I stuck with physical factors because we had a 33 mark essay for the specimen debates paper which was about the physical factors and that's all the mark scheme wanted.

On the other hand, sometimes examiners like a broad range of ideas. I had a broad range of physical factors but 'broad' could be taken to mean human factors as well.

Yes exactly, I've done a question before about physical factors/impacts (can't remember) and i included both human and physical and was marked down for including human.
I think they'll be okay seeing as this is a completely new spec! At least that's what I'm reassuring myself on haha!
I got the interquartile range wrong oh god
Reply 5
Original post by SJB18
Yes exactly, I've done a question before about physical factors/impacts (can't remember) and i included both human and physical and was marked down for including human.
I think they'll be okay seeing as this is a completely new spec! At least that's what I'm reassuring myself on haha!

Last year's AS exam was 66% for an A - I can see that going up a bit because the questions weren't too taxing (in my opinion, although some people might've waffled the sediment cells question or not known what feedback loops are) but either way, I'm a bit more confident knowing other people avoided human factors.

aaa Good luck everyone, I guess.
Reply 6
Original post by Smokeybun
I got the interquartile range wrong oh god

Pretty sure I got 1.0, you?
1.3? Only 4 Mark anyway
Reply 8
which units are you for human and geographical debates? how you finding it?

Reply 9
Original post by cw7600
which units are you for human and geographical debates? how you finding it?

Space/place, migration, power/borders and hazards and food.
Reply 10
all the same except im doing disease over food, whats your main revision method? still feel like im winging it
Space/place, migration, power/borders and hazards and food.
Reply 11
Original post by cw7600
all the same except im doing disease over food, whats your main revision method? still feel like im winging it

Condense the case studies into 10-20 useful facts and throughly read/highlight the topics in the textbook. Case studies are a bit more important for human/debates topics.

Worked last year; skimmed an A.
What did people get for the figure for glaciated landscapes, an arête or lateral moraine?
Any predictions for human? This is my weakest one seeing as we finished the course last week 😩😂
Reply 14
Original post by Kappo99
Any predictions for human? This is my weakest one seeing as we finished the course last week 😩😂

Rebranding was on the AS paper.
Reply 15
I thought the exam was alright. What did everyone put for the feedback loops question and the sediment cells one?
(edited 5 years ago)
Rebranding was on the AS paper.

Thanks, do you think it will be on a level paper?
Reply 17
Original post by bbq123
I thought the exam was alright. What did everyone put for the feedback loops question and the sediment cells one?

Talked a lot about inputs (eg cliff erosion), stores (eg beaches), processes (eg weathering) and outputs (eg long shore drift) being a key part of sediment cells as systems.

I explained three feedback loops, although I can't remember which, in terms of how they affect stores and flows within the cycles.

Those two questions were 18 marks total, I'm really hoping I did well on those because I remembered to include a lot of technical knowledge.
Reply 18
Talked a lot about inputs (eg cliff erosion), stores (eg beaches), processes (eg weathering) and outputs (eg long shore drift) being a key part of sediment cells as systems.

I explained three feedback loops, although I can't remember which, in terms of how they affect stores and flows within the cycles.

Those two questions were 18 marks total, I'm really hoping I did well on those because I remembered to include a lot of technical knowledge.

I explained positive and negative feedback loops then gave examples of both and explained them in detail about how they impact the cycle.

Sediment cell was about inputs outputs and closed open system. The movement of sediment.
Reply 19
Original post by bbq123
I explained positive and negative feedback loops then gave examples of both and explained them in detail about how they impact the cycle.

Sediment cell was about inputs outputs and closed open system. The movement of sediment.

Oh and I explained the difference between positive and negative feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending