The Student Room Group

Which law school has the best reputation: Liverpool, York or Cardiff?

Which law school has the best reputation among employers: Liverpool, York or Cardiff?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pleas help. This is urgent
Reply 2
What site would be best for that? Also are they all more or less equal for graduation prospects?
Reply 3
So, for graduation prospects, they're all considered around the same standard? Are they all decent?
Reply 4
Thank you. I don't mean to offend you but what experience do you have regarding this topic
Reply 5
alright so all 3 would generally be seen as equally quite good for the whole process of getting employment and pupilage as a solicitor (doesn't strictly have to be a top london firm)?
Original post by TSRFT8
Would disagree, York is more prestigious than Liverpool and Cardiff. Albeit, the difference is due to Liverpool pretty much accepting anyone and everyone for the last 2-3 years. Their law school is the size of most universities, it probably is a poor learning environment.

But anyway, OP; the better choice is York/Cardiff however, if you are fixated on Liverpool then that is fine too.

York is better than Cardiff and Cardiff is better than Liverpool, in terms of the rigour of the courses and essentially how "legit" they are. The issue is OP asked about employability and it is rather unlikely that an employer is going to have a preference which takes in to account that superiority. Where there is a preference, it won't be based on objective reasoning but the recruiter went to your uni or their cousin's daughter went.
Original post by Brahiti
Which law school has the best reputation among employers: Liverpool, York or Cardiff?

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

^ This is a study of which universities recent trainees of magic circle, London city and regional law firms attended. I dont believe that there is anything similar for trainee barristers, but may be wrong.
I've firmed Cardiff over Exeter and yes I still worry about it everyday but I'd rather be in a good environment where I fit in, and if anything like this doesn't bother you I'd say choose York.
ALSO I've been searching this for ages, I hope it helps you a little:

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
Reply 9
Original post by Notoriety
York is better than Cardiff and Cardiff is better than Liverpool, in terms of the rigour of the courses and essentially how "legit" they are. The issue is OP asked about employability and it is rather unlikely that an employer is going to have a preference which takes in to account that superiority. Where there is a preference, it won't be based on objective reasoning but the recruiter went to your uni or their cousin's daughter went.

May I, just for my own understand, ask if your information and experience regarding this recruitment process is recent or current? Does all of it (in this thread and others) currently apply?
Original post by bibsss
I've firmed Cardiff over Exeter and yes I still worry about it everyday but I'd rather be in a good environment where I fit in, and if anything like this doesn't bother you I'd say choose York.
ALSO I've been searching this for ages, I hope it helps you a little:

I literally posted that ten minutes before you did haha!

One issue with the results provided on there is that it only looks at the number of graduates from each university objectively and doesn't take into account that some universities (such as York) have much fewer law students each year than others (such as Manchester and Liverpool). So although places like Liverpool may look as though a high number of students have gone on to work in top firms, it may be just a small percent of those who took the course.
Reply 11
Original post by AndrewMarkSP

One issue with the results provided on there is that it only looks at the number of graduates from each university objectively and doesn't take into account that some universities (such as York) have much fewer law students each year than others (such as Manchester and Liverpool). So although places like Liverpool may look as though a high number of students have gone on to work in top firms, it may be just a small percent of those who took the course.

so york, comparatively, has a very small pool of law graduates, when compared to liverpool, manchester and cardiff? Therefore, would york's actual reputation most likely be better than the stats show (I believe the stats show York around 12th for a few key categories)
Original post by AndrewMarkSP

Interesting, and yes this makes sense. LOL I've left the tab open for so long now I can see all the replies.

So do you think a first for LLB is likely to judged equally if you are from Cardiff, Liverpool, York or Exeter? Obviously taking into consideration of your characteristics, work ethic, competence and all other work experience you've undertaken?
Original post by bibsss
Interesting, and yes this makes sense. LOL I've left the tab open for so long now I can see all the replies.

So do you think a first for LLB is likely to judged equally if you are from Cardiff, Liverpool, York or Exeter? Obviously taking into consideration of your characteristics, work ethic, competence and all other work experience you've undertaken?

There are stats floating around claiming how much of a factor the university plays when determining prospective students and it's fairly low (15-20% from what I remember).

What seems to be more important is how the individual university mentors and encourages it's students to put themselves in a position where they are more employable through careers skills sessions.
Original post by Brahiti
May I, just for my own understand, ask if your information and experience regarding this recruitment process is recent or current? Does all of it (in this thread and others) currently apply?

These things don't change much save for a drastic difference in student make-up (if somehow lower reputed unis all managed to snap away all the uber ambitious, driven, career minded and smart kids away from their usual strongholds).

Generally this is the model I've found:

Elite positions within elite firms recruit elite kids from elite to above average unis for the most part.

Non-elite positions within elite firms or decent positions within mid-ranging firms recruit most of their kids from mid-ranging universities or the lower end of the top/elite.

Less reputable firms and less desirable positions pick up the rest of the folks.

Then you have the underemployed/unemployed folks that were kind of unlucky - this bracket does increase as you go down the scale of universities.

None of this is concrete as people move up the ladder for e.g. postgrad, transferring or through sheer self-determination. It also can be augmented by the fact different universities are stronger in certain areas than others (and thus draw stronger students). It's all kind of "imperfect" but largely that structure is what graduate prospects (for jobs) looks like in the UK today.
Original post by Brahiti

Anglia Law School, by far
Original post by Brahiti
so york, comparatively, has a very small pool of law graduates, when compared to liverpool, manchester and cardiff? Therefore, would york's actual reputation most likely be better than the stats show (I believe the stats show York around 12th for a few key categories)

Your guess would be as good as mine. I think Manchester has it's own market for students and has great links with both regional and international companies.

I chose York partly because of how proactive the university is (for law) at linking with prospective employers and for cultivating it's students to be able to get employed. I know a couple of people who are either due to graduate or already have who are in such terrific opportunities career wise. They are excellent students with top grades though... at the end of the day, that's what really counts.
Reply 17
Original post by Pedro Welmas
Anglia Law School, by far

anglia was not an option
Original post by Brahiti
anglia was not an option

It better be
Reply 19
Original post by Pedro Welmas
It better be

haha

Quick Reply