The Student Room Group

Aqa English language a level paper 1

What was that child language acquisition question. Why
It threw me a bit as well. Technically you could come at it from every viewpoint if you make it work.
That question was the bane of my existence tbf
What did you guys talk about? I did the intro, then into what stage the child was and why, then talked about Micheal Halliday functions, Piaget and cognition theory and Bruner with social interaction and CDS and a bit of Chomsky
Original post by Sarah_g_24
What did you guys talk about? I did the intro, then into what stage the child was and why, then talked about Micheal Halliday functions, Piaget and cognition theory and Bruner with social interaction and CDS and a bit of Chomsky

I did Piaget, Chomsky, Halliday, Bellugi and McNeil question development and Nelsons NASM functions with a bit of Genie but I feel like it was all a bit underdeveloped :/
Original post by barror1
I did Piaget, Chomsky, Halliday, Bellugi and McNeil question development and Nelsons NASM functions with a bit of Genie but I feel like it was all a bit underdeveloped :/

Oh wow it sounds good, we weren’t taught about Bellugi, Mc Neil or Nelson 😂
Fingers crossed we did okay
i included the stage of spoken language, piaget, skinner, bruner, vygotsky, chomsky, halladay and features of CDS... included case of genie, jim and papua new guinea. honestly i didn't understand the question at all so i just ********ted and hoping for the best
I actually had no clue what to write about 20/10 definitely failed🙃
I only just realised afterwards that I could have debated it... rather than spending 10 minutes trying to find instances to support the claim in the transcript :frown:(
Reply 9
I felt text b wasn't ideal and worst comparison i've ever written ngl
I included Bellugi, a LOT of Piaget, Vygotsky, Nelson, 3 of Halliday’s functions, noted virtuous error in the transcript and began going off on a tangent about Chomsky and Berko’s wug test :frown:
Same here! Fingers crossed paper 2 is easy! Luckily section A of that exam was a godsend
In the comparison I compared the metaphors, representation of patriotism for the British demographic (reference to V.A.D.s in text B during an extremely jingoistic time and the interrogative title of Text A) and also the themes in both of a ‘battle’ (in text A they discussed fighting in a supermarket and also used the superlative ‘louder’ to suggest competition, and text B graphologically separated the women immediately through “women to women”, i related it to context of suffragettes and that as this text was evidently mid-war, and women didn’t get the vote until 1918, the writer might be highlighting the predicament in women battling one another when they should be fighting for their own liberation) I thought section A was nice!
Original post by AnotherOrwellian
In the comparison I compared the metaphors, representation of patriotism for the British demographic (reference to V.A.D.s in text B during an extremely jingoistic time and the interrogative title of Text A) and also the themes in both of a ‘battle’ (in text A they discussed fighting in a supermarket and also used the superlative ‘louder’ to suggest competition, and text B graphologically separated the women immediately through “women to women”, i related it to context of suffragettes and that as this text was evidently mid-war, and women didn’t get the vote until 1918, the writer might be highlighting the predicament in women battling one another when they should be fighting for their own liberation) I thought section A was nice!

Reading this made me realise how bad I may have done 😬😂
Original post by Sarah_g_24
Reading this made me realise how bad I may have done 😬😂

I wouldn't worry. Different places teach different ways to approach the questions. My teacher even said that my college teach section A differently to other centres and its one of the best performing English departments so it's clearly doing something right. I was always taught to have a paragraph to compare audience or purpose, two paragraphs to compare different subject representations and 2 or 3 comparing use of languages. I'm sure whatever you've been taught to do is good enough to get you your grade.
Original post by xEmilyxx
I wouldn't worry. Different places teach different ways to approach the questions. My teacher even said that my college teach section A differently to other centres and its one of the best performing English departments so it's clearly doing something right. I was always taught to have a paragraph to compare audience or purpose, two paragraphs to compare different subject representations and 2 or 3 comparing use of languages. I'm sure whatever you've been taught to do is good enough to get you your grade.

Yea i think each college teaches the subject differently, luckily our teacher has a way of teaching that seems to get her class the top grades but we shall see I think the Q threw a few people off. Good luck !!
What were the two question options?
Original post by AnotherOrwellian
What was that child language acquisition question. Why
What were the two question options?
Original post by xEmilyxx
It threw me a bit as well. Technically you could come at it from every viewpoint if you make it work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending