The Student Room Group

English language A Level AQA paper 1 exam

In the English language A Level AQA paper 1 exam today, how did you think it went?
Q4 Child language question was just painful for me, can anyone explain it
what was the child langauge question again? I just want to make sure what I wrote was alright but can’t fully remember it
Original post by sophiabok
what was the child langauge question again? I just want to make sure what I wrote was alright but can’t fully remember it

It was evaluating the statement that the best way to explain a child's language development is to focus on what they use language for
Original post by Melissa1345
It was evaluating the statement that the best way to explain a child's language development is to focus on what they use language for

Ahh cheers - think I really messed that up. What did you write about?
Ahh cheers - think I really messed that up. What did you write about?

Well I was pretty unsure what it meant but went with my instincts haha.. I tried linking Chomsky and Tomasello to agreeing with the statement as their theories focus on patterns in children's language use like overgens and inflections etc. Then I used Bruner and Skinner to undermine as their theories focus on caregivers, interaction and external factors rather than the language used by child I guess.. I just followed my usual essay structure and tried my best to make some sense of the links to the question! What about you? It was pretty confusing
Original post by Melissa1345
Well I was pretty unsure what it meant but went with my instincts haha.. I tried linking Chomsky and Tomasello to agreeing with the statement as their theories focus on patterns in children's language use like overgens and inflections etc. Then I used Bruner and Skinner to undermine as their theories focus on caregivers, interaction and external factors rather than the language used by child I guess.. I just followed my usual essay structure and tried my best to make some sense of the links to the question! What about you? It was pretty confusing

You’ve probably done really well tbh because what you wrote sounds pretty good. I basically wrote about the usual theorists and said how a theorist like Bruner focuses on language development in social situations so because language is primarily learnt in social situations children’s main use for language is for social interactions. Then spoke a little bit about Halliday. I think I messed this up really bad
You’ve probably done really well tbh because what you wrote sounds pretty good. I basically wrote about the usual theorists and said how a theorist like Bruner focuses on language development in social situations so because language is primarily learnt in social situations children’s main use for language is for social interactions. Then spoke a little bit about Halliday. I think I messed this up really bad

If you wrote about Halliday I wouldn't worry too much!! I was never explicitly taught about that theory so I didn't include it, but I've seen lots of posts from people who did.. it seems to be the most relevant! I think pretty much everyone will have interpreted this question differently because it's not very specific, which can be a good thing too. I'm sure you did great, with the sounds of what you've written you shouldn't be so hard on yourself at all.

Quick Reply

Latest