The Student Room Group

Retaking A levels again

i took my A levels last year and got grades BDD in economics, maths and accounting.

i have self taught myself this year but feel as though i am going to fail again for personal reasons.

given the a level reforms, is there anyway i can still retake next year or will i have to self learn the new specs?

any help appreciated, thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
??
Reply 2
Original post by MØRGS
i took my A levels last year and got grades BDD in economics, maths and accounting.

i have self taught myself this year but feel as though i am going to fail again for personal reasons.

given the a level reforms, is there anyway i can still retake next year or will i have to self learn the new specs?

Weren't all the new spec brought in this year?
Reply 3
Original post by Emi_x
Weren't all the new spec brought in this year?

I know they were for maths and accounting, so would I be able self teach the full courses this year and do the AS and ALEVEL exams come summer 2019?
Reply 4
Original post by MØRGS

You would have to declare on UCAS that you retook twice and I really don’t think you would get any offers from unis so there would be no point.

Just try your best until your exams are over and look at your options on results day. Many unis may accept you through clearing if your results are average.

I know for subjects like maths, this was the last year you could retake the old spec (C1, C2). I’m not sure about others.
Original post by MØRGS
I know they were for maths and accounting, so would I be able self teach the full courses this year and do the AS and ALEVEL exams come summer 2019?

If you fail A-levels twice then A-levels are really not for you. Why don't you look at getting a job or an apprenticeship in an area that interests you? It looks like all you'll end up doing is wasting another year failing A-levels for a third time.
Reply 6
Original post by G.Y
You would have to declare on UCAS that you retook twice and I really don’t think you would get any offers from unis so there would be no point.

Just try your best until your exams are over and look at your options on results day. Many unis may accept you through clearing if your results are average.

I know for subjects like maths, this was the last year you could retake the old spec (C1, C2). I’m not sure about others.

thanks for the reply.

could i not learn the new maths and accounting spec and take the exams in 2019?
What university would you like to go to?
Original post by Glassapple
If you fail A-levels twice then A-levels are really not for you. Why don't you look at getting a job or an apprenticeship in an area that interests you? It looks like all you'll end up doing is wasting another year failing A-levels for a third time.

Such a silly response.
Reply 9

I have failed my A levels due to depression and personal reasons, not due to the academia being too hard.

I achieved 4A*, 6A and a B at gcse, I know i can still do well.
I technically failed my A-levels twice. Did really bad for AS, so my college made me retake almost every one of my AS exams and I did it alongside my A2 exams. Did poorly, and I just ended up at some University's pre-university foundation programme. Did really well, and got offers from Sheffield, KCL, Warwick, City and some *****y insurance University. You could always try looking for a foundation programme. I struggled with A-levels because the content was too broad, and you had to be very specific with your answers.
Reply 11
Original post by MØRGS
thanks for the reply.

could i not learn the new maths and accounting spec and take the exams in 2019?

You could but a) the new spec is usually harder so if you couldn’t do the old how will you do the new, and b) you’ve had 3 years to learn this spec and you didn’t quite manage it, how will you be able to learn a new spec (2 years worth of content) in 1 year

And like I said, unis are very unlikely to accept you so what would be the point
Original post by Cold grapes
Such a silly response.

Unless you're going to give a viable alternative response then you have no right to criticise mine. If you fail A-levels twice after trying to pass then another year isn't going to make a difference, you'll still fail. A lot of universities really don't like applicants doing their A-levels a second time, let alone a third.

Original post by MØRGS
I have failed my A levels due to depression and personal reasons, not due to the academia being too hard.

I achieved 4A*, 6A and a B at gcse, I know i can still do well.

Why is resitting for a second time going to make any difference? If you were too depressed to pass the first 2 times then what makes you think you'll be any less depressed to do all this again and pass? I don't see why you want to waste a year of your life to get the same outcome. Get a job or do something else you can focus on better that you can do more productively with your depression; A-levels are clearly not working for you at all.
(edited 5 years ago)
not sure how this works but op why dont u look into a foundation year? you should be able to transfer to a uni that u desire granted u work hard in that year
Unless you're going to give a viable alternative response then you have no right to criticise mine. If you fail A-levels twice after trying to pass then another year isn't going to make a difference, you'll still fail. A lot of universities really don't like applicants doing their A-levels a second time, let alone a third.

This person clearly wants to study A levels and unfortunetely failed the second due to personal reasons. Are you able to get your head out of your ass to understand that?

God not even my university offers made me this arrogant.
:rofl:
Reply 15
thank you everyone for the replies. if i state about my personal issues, will the universities be any more lenient even though it will be the third time im taking?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Cold grapes
Such a silly response.

No it's not. It's the truth. If you want to dress your response with sugar and honey then lie to OP so they continue following the wrong path then be my guest, but it's not going to help them.

If you're resitting a second time due to personal reasons, do you think this is actually a wise use of your time? What would you like to study at uni?
If you decide to apply to Oxbridge / LSE / UCL then take another year out and this time study hard.

What ever the reasons were you need to focus this time.
Original post by BTAnonymous
No it's not. It's the truth. If you want to dress your response with sugar and honey then lie to OP so they continue following the wrong path then be my guest, but it's not going to help them.

If you're resitting a second time due to personal reasons, do you think this is actually a wise use of your time? What would you like to study at uni?

I already study at a top 5 university.
Reply 19
Original post by MØRGS

If it's new specs then I would either get a tutor or go to college/sixth form. It's one thing self teaching yourself a spec you know, but a completely different one will be really hard to learn by yourself unless you're incredibly motivated.

Quick Reply

Latest