The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Music Paper - 06 June 2018

How did everyone find it? Idk how to feel about it lol

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by joshxieee
How did everyone find it? Idk how to feel about it lol

I found it terrible although the 12 marker I found alright. Wbu?
Reply 2
Original post by emm782
I found it terrible although the 12 marker I found alright. Wbu?

Yes same I liked the 12 marker because I had a feeling it would possibly come up so i revised it
but I found some parts of the exam really hard as well
Reply 3
It was bad. Not really bad, but bad.

I liked the Music for a While, Brandenburg Concerto and Killer Queen questions, but definitely not the other 3.

Dictation... I'm bad at it so having 10 whole marks on it isn't good. I could be right? pls

Unfamiliar listening- Assuming the chords were as obvious as they seemed... good.

Essay- 2 nice pieces and a good topic (tonality and orchestration are the 2 most important parts of Star Wars), but spent too much time making notes and then it was a 15 minute dash to get everything written. Our teachers must have given us too much time in mocks. That was tough.

All in all, pretty bad.
I wasn't particularly happy when the bell went off twice in Music for a While, kids were screaming outside in the first half and the invigilator had a go at me for looking for a rubber that I hadn't even got.
Reply 5
In section B, if you just evaluate both but don’t compare is that fine? It never explicitly says you have to compare the two...
Pretty sure the chord progression for the unseen was Gm - Cm - D
Reply 7
What do ppl reckon grade boundary gna be for a 9?
Reply 8
What did people put for features of African Music for Release?

I said:
-Improvisatory feel (just realising now that's not a word)
-Use of interesting, syncopated rhythms
Reply 9
Original post by B54321
What did people put for features of African Music for Release?

I said:
-Improvisatory feel (just realising now that's not a word)
-Use of interesting, syncopated rhythms

Idk if this is right but I put:

- cross rhythms to create polyrhythmic texture
- use of loops
Reply 10
Does anyone know the name of the African Jazz unfamiliar? I've been searching all night.
Reply 11
Original post by inox
Does anyone know the name of the African Jazz unfamiliar? I've been searching all night.

i think its https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onwoLbL2OZY
Reply 12
It was awful, do not understand how anyone can identify the chords
Reply 13
Original post by Squibbs
It was awful, do not understand how anyone can identify the chords

it was the same chords repeated for the intro and you could easily hear that they stayed the same. you just had to follow on from the intro, which showed it was Gm, Cm, D (or something) then a bar of no chords. You just had to follow it along.
Reply 14
Original post by cr_13
In section B, if you just evaluate both but don’t compare is that fine? It never explicitly says you have to compare the two...

It didn’t say compare so I didn’t I just wrote about each piece separately? Not sure though
Reply 15
Original post by inox
it was the same chords repeated for the intro and you could easily hear that they stayed the same. you just had to follow on from the intro, which showed it was Gm, Cm, D (or something) then a bar of no chords. You just had to follow it along.

I think that’s what I did, I just copied the pattern but I wrote Gm, Cm, D is that what you got?
Reply 16
Original post by saras2710
I agree
but I found release the easiest.

Ostinato/loop for the bodhran right?? And I put hardy-gurdy for next question, but Uilleann pipes also valid answer I think...
Reply 17
In the unfamiliar piece what did people get for the solo instrument? I put glockenspiel but I don’t think that’s right
Reply 18
Original post by Squibbs
In the unfamiliar piece what did people get for the solo instrument? I put glockenspiel but I don’t think that’s right

I wrote marimba but I know a lot of people who wrote glockenspiel so they might change the mark scheme so those people get the mark.
What was the unseen piece of film music we heard in Section B called?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending