The Student Room Group

AQA A Level History 1H Tsarist and Communist Russia, 1855–1964 7042/1H - 06 Jun 2018

Hi guys! Who's taking the exam on Tsarist and Communist Russia this year? How are you feeling about it?

You can find some AQA A-Level History resources here and the AQA subject content guide here
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

hey! I'm taking this exam this summer and was wondering how everyone is revising for it? I've been making notes etc (all the typical stuff) but i just don't know how all this information is going to go in! has anybody got tips on an effective method that works for them?

Also, does anyone have any predictions on what areas are likely to come up and how high do you think the grade boundaries will be?

thanks guys
I am taking this exam too! What topics do you think will come up? I'm so scared, its in 8 days
I have done so little for this, any predictions aside from Lenin?
I think potentially anything on Nicholas III including the revolutions and Bolshevik's rising to power
Original post by milkshakelover
I have done so little for this, any predictions aside from Lenin?

I've heard it might be Lenin also, have you looked at past questions or did your teacher say?
Reply 6
Something to do with Bolshevik uprising will come up so I would revise that. The spec has to cover a wide range so no matter what they'll be a question before Lenin. If theres a question on the red terror/great purges I'll be happy. Whats everyones weakest topic? mines probably the provisional government, there's just so much to know.
I'm absolutely screwed for this exam I'm rating... My teacher has given me a load of questions she thinks could potentially come up and I've planned them all, but my issue is knowing statistics, especially when it comes to the economy.

There's a good chance that opposition might come up, and possibly something to do with comparing Lenin and Stalin and how ruthless they were. My college didn't sit the AS last year, but my teacher said that the things on that probably won't come up again (which is fairly common sense)

I don't really think Khrushchev will come up, unless it's about opposition over time, or explaining whether Stalinism was still a thing by 1964, or whether a true communist state had been established by then

I feel more prepared for Modern Britain (not sure if any of you people are doing that module too?)
Original post by tom.williams121
I'm absolutely screwed for this exam I'm rating... My teacher has given me a load of questions she thinks could potentially come up and I've planned them all, but my issue is knowing statistics, especially when it comes to the economy.

There's a good chance that opposition might come up, and possibly something to do with comparing Lenin and Stalin and how ruthless they were. My college didn't sit the AS last year, but my teacher said that the things on that probably won't come up again (which is fairly common sense)

I don't really think Khrushchev will come up, unless it's about opposition over time, or explaining whether Stalinism was still a thing by 1964, or whether a true communist state had been established by then

I feel more prepared for Modern Britain (not sure if any of you people are doing that module too?)

Hi, any chance you could share some of the questions your teacher has predicted? Would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by King Geedorah
Hi, any chance you could share some of the questions your teacher has predicted? Would be greatly appreciated.

11DCB028-C413-4469-9272-2586F382E7F8.jpg.jpeg 6AB13E93-9A5A-493F-9A33-8F2D3D8BF9A3.jpg.jpeg

They basically cover the whole period but social, opposition and economic are fairly likely to turn up somewhere on the paper we think

TSR seems to have compressed the images so if you can’t them then I can message them to you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by tom.williams121
11DCB028-C413-4469-9272-2586F382E7F8.jpg.jpeg 6AB13E93-9A5A-493F-9A33-8F2D3D8BF9A3.jpg.jpeg

They basically cover the whole period but social, opposition and economic are fairly likely to turn up somewhere on the paper we think

TSR seems to have compressed the images so if you can’t them then I can message them to you

Ahh wow this is really helpful thanks! It is so hard to find decent essay practice questions when the A level is so new
How did everyone find it?
Original post by BlairPeach

Absolutely awful
Original post by Hannahtaylor800
Absolutely awful

Why? Which questions did you do?

Got timings wrong, couldn’t see board and thought it said exam finished at 4:34 not 4:04. Only did source and one essay so life’s basically over can still scrape a B on it if I get 25/30 on source and 20/25 on the essay if grade boundaries similar to last year but for most part - SCREWED.
Questions were really nice it’s a shame.
Idk if I should go speak to my teacher about this it’s embarrassing
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Charotts_1708
Got timings wrong, couldn’t see board and thought it said exam finished at 34 not 4:04. Only did source and one essay so life’s basically over can still scrape a B on it if I get 25/30 on source and 20/25 on the essay if grade boundaries similar to last year but for most part - SCREWED.
Questions were really nice it’s a shame.
Idk if I should go speak to my teacher about this it’s embarrassing

You can still do well on your other module so don't worry yet
Why? Which questions did you do?

Just thought the questions were very narrow, everyone at my sixth form has said the same.
Found it a decent paper but I wrote about Witte and stolypin in the emancipation question, do I still get marks do we think?? As it was up to 1894😩 I ran out of time and had to rush my last essay but just managed it I think 🤷🏻*♀️
questions were so narrow, especially the one about women and young people, surely one on society overall would be more common? I think I messed up a little but the sources deffo compensated for the bad essay questions, I didn't have any real difficulty in the sources but think I might have brought myself down with reusing the same piece of evidence on two different sources? hopefully doesn't affect anything cos I was making different points, also had a mind blank on the emancipation - economy before 1894, really???
You can still do well on your other module so don't worry yet

Hopefully and coursework grade was good I’m just stressed and want to cry because I’ve screwed myself over, it was a really good exam and everyone else found it good too so grade boundaries are probably going to be higher .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending