The Student Room Group

Help missed a level exam due to illness- are my oxford dreams at an end?

Hello,

I had my Tudor a level exam but found myself unable to do it to severe abdominal pain brought about by my Crohn’s disease. I have sent a doctor’s note to the exam board- what is going to happen? I don’t want my illness to ruin my life and everything I’ve worked hard for

I tried to sit the exam on and off for four hours but the pain was too much that I was advised to go home. I’m so worried that I’ve ruined everything and let everyone down

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't believe so, it's an extenuating circumstance and so they should look upon that whilst making their decision.
Original post by Reine.Lilou
I wouldn't believe so, it's an extenuating circumstance and so they should look upon that whilst making their decision.

I’ve just worked extremely hard and now it seems to have gone to waste so I’m really anxious which is not really alleviating my condition
Original post by drriversong
I’ve just worked extremely hard and now it seems to have gone to waste so I’m really anxious which is not really alleviating my condition

According to JCQ guidelines:

"For unitised examinations taken in an examination series prior to certification, candidates must be re-entered for any missed units at the next assessment opportunity. Unless there are difficulties arising, e.g. group performances which cannot be repeated, special consideration will not be awarded"

This above is for being eligible for enhanced grading, based on other factors.

"Where a candidate has completed less than 25% of the total assessment, the centre should contact the relevant awarding body. In rare and exceptional circumstances an awarding body has the discretion to award an enhanced grade on a lower percentage"

I just want to ask how much of the A Level you completed, the school should be doing this for you not leaving you to stress!

From what you have said this may be your first exam and it is entirely up to the exam board whether they will honour an enhanced grade or make you sit it again.
(edited 5 years ago)

I would try my hardest to not exacerbate the condition by being anxious, must easier said than done I know, but honestly worrying about it certainly won't help you nor will it make a significant difference. Just be proactive and contact the exam board in order to stay aware.
You will be fine because it will be classed as first attempt trust me been there
Also, so sorry this has happened to you and fingers and toes crossed you get in :frown:
Original post by ohdearstudying
According to JCQ guidelines:

"For unitised examinations taken in an examination series prior to certification, candidates must be re-entered for any missed units at the next assessment opportunity. Unless there are difficulties arising, e.g. group performances which cannot be repeated, special consideration will not be awarded"

This above is for being eligible for enhanced grading, based on other factors.

"Where a candidate has completed less than 25% of the total assessment, the centre should contact the relevant awarding body. In rare and exceptional circumstances an awarding body has the discretion to award an enhanced grade on a lower percentage"

I just want to ask how much of the A Level you completed, the school should be doing this for you not leaving you to stress!

I will be doing 60% of the a level but I don’t know whether my condition is serious to warrant it. They could always argue that I should have soldiered through it but the pain was unbearable
Original post by Tiffany42
You will be fine because it will be classed as first attempt trust me been there

It happened to me last year. A year ago today I had to quit my a levels due to hospitalisation so I’ve redone year 13 but it struck me again, leaving me unable to even hold a pen. I am so ashamed as I spent months revising and I was getting A* in my mocks
Reply 9
When you say that you sent the doctor's note to the exam board, what do you actually mean? Applications for special consideration have to be made by exam centre where you took the exams - so you need to talk to your school/college if you haven't done so already as they will need to submit an application online. If you attempted to sit the paper and failed through ill health then they should already have this sorted.

I've known people miss exams through illness and still make a Cambridge or medicine offer so don't worry.
(edited 5 years ago)
I will be doing 60% of the a level but I don’t know whether my condition is serious to warrant it. They could always argue that I should have soldiered through it but the pain was unbearable

You will be fine. Ask the exam officer to put a special consideration claim in for you and they will just mark you on the bits you have done. As pointed out above the threshold is 25%. Focus on your next exam.
you did nothing wrong, it's horrible to have Chrohns
( I have Collitis btw)
(edited 5 years ago)
It happened to me last year. A year ago today I had to quit my a levels due to hospitalisation so I’ve redone year 13 but it struck me again, leaving me unable to even hold a pen. I am so ashamed as I spent months revising and I was getting A* in my mocks

Oh do you have a doctors note?
You can explain why it's worth a shot they should understand

Don't be ashamed it's not your fault just relax and look at alternatives

No they can't.

Also, I edited my response, it was inaccurate, please take another look :smile: at the original post.

https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2017-2018

Here is a link to the guidelines for you to read, within the top bands for special consideration and grade enhancement is illness that effected you on the day.
Reply 14
Sorry, but I don't recall it... :frown:

OP, go with Compost's reply. They are an exams officer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello,

I had my Tudor a level exam but found myself unable to do it to severe abdominal pain brought about by my Crohn’s disease. I have sent a doctor’s note to the exam board- what is going to happen? I don’t want my illness to ruin my life and everything I’ve worked hard for

I tried to sit the exam on and off for four hours but the pain was too much that I was advised to go home. I’m so worried that I’ve ruined everything and let everyone down

We are very sorry to hear about your problem in the History A-level exam today.

We suggest that you also ask your school to let the College making an offer know (we write to all the schools of offer holders encouraging them to let us know, with the student's agreement, about any incident affecting performance).

We can't prejudge what might happen but please note the following:

(1) it is generally easier to make an allowance for a specific medical problem affecting a specific exam than a more general condition affecting exam preparation over a longer period of time;
(2) we have students sitting exams at Oxford too and there are so many of them that every year the university has to address similar problems.

The best thing you can do at this stage is to try and put it behind you and focus on the next exam. We appreciate this is difficult but hope our advice provides some reassurance.

Brasenose Admissions
Reply 16
Ah, well found :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Compost
When you say that you sent the doctor's note to the exam board, what do you actually mean? Applications for special consideration have to be made by exam centre where you took the exams - so you need to talk to your school/college if you haven't done so already as they will need to submit an application online. If you attempted to sit the paper and failed through ill health then they should already have this sorted.

I've known people miss exams through illness and still make a Cambridge or medicine offer so don't worry.

Well I’ve had crohns for over a year now so my last doctor’s note was from over a year ago so I had to go to the doctor’s and get checked over and granted a new one. This was all done after 6pm so I am going in at 8am tomorrow to give the exam officer my note.

Thank you for your kind words- im just worried that they won’t take it seriously as I wasn’t in hospital
Original post by Abnash Singh
you did nothing wrong, it's horrible to have Chrohns
( I have Collitis btw)

What’s that like? Crohns is awful- it’s already made me redo the year and I don’t want to have to do it again
Yeah I have to have regular infusions which they mentioned on my doctor’s note. I just hate how it’s prevented me from having a chance to show what I know- I’ve been working hard all year so I have just been crying the whole evening lol

Latest