Which backpack for travelling?

Watch
marnalarn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hiya, I'm going to Thailand for 3.5 weeks at the end of the month, and then to Shanghai for 3.5 weeks in August and I plan to do more travelling between uni in the next couple of years.
I'm stuck choosing which backpack to take. Do I need a 60-65l or will 40l be enough? I can pack *fairly* light but would like to bring a couple of bits home.
Also, can anyone recommend any good brands/bags in particular? I've been looking at Berghaus quite a bit, specifically the Trailhead (womens) 60l- have you had any experiences with this bag?
I know Osprey is a good brand but it doesn't quite meet my budget (around £70).
Thanks!
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by marnalarn)
Hiya, I'm going to Thailand for 3.5 weeks at the end of the month, and then to Shanghai for 3.5 weeks in August and I plan to do more travelling between uni in the next couple of years.
I'm stuck choosing which backpack to take. Do I need a 60-65l or will 40l be enough? I can pack *fairly* light but would like to bring a couple of bits home.
Also, can anyone recommend any good brands/bags in particular? I've been looking at Berghaus quite a bit, specifically the Trailhead (womens) 60l- have you had any experiences with this bag?
Thanks!
I have a Berghaus rucksack from a few years ago and can recommend the brand. Very sturdy and comfy for quite a large rucksack (60l). 40l might be enough for you but I have preferred being in the knowledge that I had enough space with a 60l, even if I don't end up filling it.
marnalarn
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Goz Unlimited)
I have a Berghaus rucksack from a few years ago and can recommend the brand. Very sturdy and comfy for quite a large rucksack (60l). 40l might be enough for you but I have preferred being in the knowledge that I had enough space with a 60l, even if I don't end up filling it.
Thanks for the reply! Do you find it a lot more expensive (or more hassle) because you have to put it in the hold of planes as it's too big to be a carryon?
Toki the Dumdum
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks for the reply! Do you find it a lot more expensive (or more hassle) because you have to put it in the hold of planes as it's too big to be a carryon?
I don't fly much tbh. I've stuck to europe on my travels.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
60-65L sounds quite big for that duration. You're going to be washing your stuff, so I'd go for smaller size.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thanks!
Thailand will be hot so limited need for big warm clothing. This will probably mean you can get away with 40L. Depends on you.

I did 6 weeks in Thailand with a 30L bag. Was a bit small which meant packing each day was a pain. However i wasn't as good at packing back then - my more recent 4 week trip was with a 22L bag including sleeping bag (although that did involve washing clothes every day).

There are a lot of good bag brands. I actually wouldn't recommend Osprey for this kind of trip - they are very light but not that sturdy and they lose their shape over time. I personally like Deuter but Berghaus is good too.

Being able to do that is nice but bear in mind can't take any toiletries or pocket knives, and may limit souvenirs.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
http://www.travelindependent.info/wh...ack-travel.htm

Go for a 40L max.

You won't need to take much to Thailand at any time of the year, or Shanghai in August.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (227)
61.02%
No (77)
20.7%
Not sure (68)
18.28%

Watched Threads