The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

How lenient are Birmingham University for Computer Science?

If they ask AAA (A in Maths)

and you get ABB (B in Maths), will they still let you in?

Bsc

????

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Den987

Bsc

????

I have no experience with Birmingham, but chances are, if they specifically ask for an A in maths and you get a B, the odds will not be in your favour. Maths is quite important in CS.

They might offer you a place on a Foundation course though.

Try not to worry - just do your best in these exams.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Original post by Blue_Cow
I have no experience with Birmingham, but chances are, if they specifically ask for an A in maths and you get a B, the odds will not be in your favour. Maths is quite important in CS.

They might offer you a place on a Foundation course though.

Try not to worry - just do your best in these exams.

I hope so :bawling:. When I applied I originally had an E. I am revising from home because the school wasn't willing to help me. Not even with my personal statement so I did all that on my own. I also tried to get a tutor to show me some of organic chemistry like once or twice a week, so I got my reference from there.

The problem is that so far my first exam for chem (inorganic) didn't go too well. I can lift it up to a high B but it will be like 10 or so marks off and A. They said in the open day that they wouldn't mind a B in chem though but that they would 'prefer' an A in maths. My C1 C2 and S1 went good. But my mechanics drags me down so I am around 15-20 points off an A no matter what I do.

For C1 at least I retook 3 times. I tried anywhere from redoing all 32+ past papers x 3, to trying to get extra help, to YouTube videos, to book exercises and I still think I didn't get 90 UMS. That would have pulled me up :frown:.

I know their clearing is going to be AAB - BBB so I'm hoping they'll accept. The vast majority of the content with the exception of Biology is self taught. There is literally nothing more I can do :frown: :frown: :frown: . Do you think they might give me a chance????:cry2:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Den987
I hope so :bawling:. When I applied I originally had an E. I am revising from home because the school wasn't willing to help me. Not even with my personal statement so I did all that on my own. I also tried to get a tutor to show me some of organic chemistry like once or twice a week, so I got my reference from there.

The problem is that so far my first exam for chem (inorganic) didn't go too well. I can lift it up to a high B but it will be like 10 or so marks off and A. They said in the open day that they wouldn't mind a B in chem though but that they would 'prefer' an A in maths. My C1 C2 and S1 went good. But my mechanics drags me down so I am around 15-20 points off an A no matter what I do.

For C1 at least I retook 3 times. I tried anywhere from redoing all 32+ past papers x 3, to trying to get extra help, to YouTube videos, to book exercises and I still think I didn't get 90 UMS. That would have pulled me up :frown:.

I know their clearing is going to be AAB - BBB so I'm hoping they'll accept. The vast majority of the content with the exception of Biology is self taught. There is literally nothing more I can do :frown: :frown: :frown: . Do you think they might give me a chance????:cry2:

I hope so.
Reply 4
Original post by Den987

Bsc

????

No one can tell you for sure, you’ll have to wait and find out. What subjects are you doing?
Original post by Black Water
No one can tell you for sure, you’ll have to wait and find out. What subjects are you doing?

Maths Biology Chemistry
Reply 6
Original post by Den987
Maths Biology Chemistry

Oh nice, mind me asking where else you applied to? Just hope for the best, you never know they might end up taking or you may have not gotten help AAA.
Oh nice, mind me asking where else you applied to? Just hope for the best, you never know they might end up taking or you may have not gotten help AAA.

I just applied for Computer Science.

I ended up with a DEE last year. My Biology lessons were alright but my Chemistry and Maths were a disaster. Not only were they bad at explaining but some of them didn't know the content. :s-smilie:

E.g. Once I asked a question in Chem and got a ''I'm not sure let me ask the head of department'' response. Maths lessons was mostly the teacher repeating from the textbook word for word or telling us about herself.:colonhash:

When I wanted to retake, my head of year wanted me to go back to lessons. Of course I refused. I knew everyone in the department at that point and knew it wasn't going to help. They wanted me to apply individually and weren't willing to help with my personal statement even before I asked to retake. So obviously they didn't have my best interests at heart. So I went to the exam invigilator herself and that's how I managed.:smile:

After some tutoring I managed to get my predicted grades and Offers. Going from an E to a B average (Chem/Maths) is difficult enough [Granted the other exams go well :dontknow:]. A high B so to speak. So it will be a couple of points off.

After all this the last thing I want is a rejection. Should I give them a call and ask if they take students with ABB for my course :frown:, just in case I don't make it???

I know my course is in clearing anyways and the vacancies are AAB - BBB. What do you think?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Den987
I just applied for Computer Science.

I ended up with a DEE last year. My Biology lessons were alright but my Chemistry and Maths were a disaster. Not only were they bad at explaining but some of them didn't know the content. :s-smilie:

E.g. Once I asked a question in Chem and got a ''I'm not sure let me ask the head of department'' response. Maths lessons was mostly the teacher repeating from the textbook word for word or telling us about herself.:colonhash:

When I wanted to retake, my head of year wanted me to go back to lessons. Of course I refused. I knew everyone in the department at that point and knew it wasn't going to help. They wanted me to apply individually and weren't willing to help with my personal statement even before I asked to retake. So obviously they didn't have my best interests at heart. So I went to the exam invigilator herself and that's how I managed.:smile:

After some tutoring I managed to get my predicted grades and Offers. Going from an E to a B average (Chem/Maths) is difficult enough [Granted the other exams go well :dontknow:]. A high B so to speak. So it will be a couple of points off.

After all this the last thing I want is a rejection. Should I give them a call and ask if they take students with ABB for my course :frown:, just in case I don't make it???

I know my course is in clearing anyways and the vacancies are AAB - BBB. What do you think?

That’s a tough situation. In my opinion, if your teachers are that bad then don’t rely on them at all. Learn everything yourself, there are plenty of resources online to help get the grades you want. If you have an offer of AAA, you’ll have to wait until results day and see what you get.

If you didn’t meet the requirements, depending on how many other people missed their offers and if there a some spaces left, you could be given a place still. What’s your insurance university? However, many good courses will probably be in clearing along with good universities. You could wait and see if you end up liking one of the clearing spaces and take them.
That’s a tough situation. In my opinion, if your teachers are that bad then don’t rely on them at all. Learn everything yourself, there are plenty of resources online to help get the grades you want. If you have an offer of AAA, you’ll have to wait until results day and see what you get.

If you didn’t meet the requirements, depending on how many other people missed their offers and if there a some spaces left, you could be given a place still. What’s your insurance university? However, many good courses will probably be in clearing along with good universities. You could wait and see if you end up liking one of the clearing spaces and take them.

No that option is closed as well. I have Northampton as an unconditional. To be honest even though it's an unconditional, the university is relatively new for teaching CS. Not as good as some others. I got an offer for Lancaster with AAB or ABB (can't remember) and I wanted to take it but I couldn't. When my parents heard I wasn't interested in the unconditional, they flipped (to put it nicely). They gave me no choice but to put it as my insurance. I only applied there in case I didn't get any other offers. Even me taking a gap year was made as miserable as possible.

I'm really stuck because I don't have much if any support from school or home. Now what do I do if I miss it by a couple of marks???:frown:
Reply 10
Original post by Den987
No that option is closed as well. I have Northampton as an unconditional. To be honest even though it's an unconditional, the university is relatively new for teaching CS. Not as good as some others. I got an offer for Lancaster with AAB or ABB (can't remember) and I wanted to take it but I couldn't. When my parents heard I wasn't interested in the unconditional, they flipped (to put it nicely). They gave me no choice but to put it as my insurance. I only applied there in case I didn't get any other offers. Even me taking a gap year was made as miserable as possible.

I'm really stuck because I don't have much if any support from school or home. Now what do I do if I miss it by a couple of marks???:frown:

You shouldn’t have listened to your parents. If your insurance is Northampton unconditional, you’ll have to go there then because I think unconditional is EEE. I’m not sure if you can change it and go into clearing instead.
You shouldn’t have listened to your parents. If your insurance is Northampton unconditional, you’ll have to go there then because I think unconditional is EEE. I’m not sure if you can change it and go into clearing instead.

You can phone them up and say you don't want to go there. They can't force you. But I'm literally in a mess.

It was no choice. I tried to negotiate for months and they literally threatened to take 'everything way from me'. I also wasn't allowed to take a part-time during my first A-levels so I have no money. It was literally take it as your insurance or end up with nothing.

It's not a very pleasant situation at all. Maths for example is in units so 6 exams. I was counting for M1 to go well so I can recover back to an 80% average. But alas it didn't. I didn't retake S1 because it was my least confident option and I was already retaking a lot. During my S1 originally I had to be taken out of that exam due to poor health. I managed to come back and finish it anyways and ended up with 74 points.

Back then I thought it went relatively OK, despite the problems I had. I couldn't stay anymore though so I requested to go home early. They accepted but it didn't go as planned. When my folks found out I got ill and it affected the result, they weren't pleased. I got the ''Your just coming up with excuses. Why did you try if you knew you were going to fail in the first place talk?''

Now this........Honestly should I give them a call???? Not sure how it might help though. Feeling quite sad right now.....
:frown::frown::frown::frown:
these days they usually ask for specific UMS breakdowns as if you were really high b they will probably still let you in. it really just depends
Original post by dfghjklkjhgfi
these days they usually ask for specific UMS breakdowns as if you were really high b they will probably still let you in. it really just depends

They don't accept UCAS Tariff though......
Reply 14
Original post by Den987
You can phone them up and say you don't want to go there. They can't force you. But I'm literally in a mess.

It was no choice. I tried to negotiate for months and they literally threatened to take 'everything way from me'. I also wasn't allowed to take a part-time during my first A-levels so I have no money. It was literally take it as your insurance or end up with nothing.

It's not a very pleasant situation at all. Maths for example is in units so 6 exams. I was counting for M1 to go well so I can recover back to an 80% average. But alas it didn't. I didn't retake S1 because it was my least confident option and I was already retaking a lot. During my S1 originally I had to be taken out of that exam due to poor health. I managed to come back and finish it anyways and ended up with 74 points.

Back then I thought it went relatively OK, despite the problems I had. I couldn't stay anymore though so I requested to go home early. They accepted but it didn't go as planned. When my folks found out I got ill and it affected the result, they weren't pleased. I got the ''Your just coming up with excuses. Why did you try if you knew you were going to fail in the first place talk?''

Now this........Honestly should I give them a call???? Not sure how it might help though. Feeling quite sad right now.....
:frown::frown::frown::frown:

Unlucky situation, forget all of what has happened now. The best option would be to wait and get your results then see what Birmingham has to say because even they won’t be able to give you a proper answer until results day. The other option is clearing, good courses will be on clearing then you can apply from there. Are your parents Asian?
Unlucky situation, forget all of what has happened now. The best option would be to wait and get your results then see what Birmingham has to say because even they won’t be able to give you a proper answer until results day. The other option is clearing, good courses will be on clearing then you can apply from there. Are your parents Asian?

Nope European:nah:. I suppose the most Asian Europeans you can find :yes:
Reply 16
Original post by Den987
Nope European:nah:. I suppose the most Asian Europeans you can find :yes:

Haha, lol true😂😂
There's a 22% chance they'll let you in.
There's a 22% chance they'll let you in.

Why 22%?
Reply 19
Just about to graduate from this course. No is the simple answer. There's a large amount of mathematics involved on this course, and the school have little reason to offer places to individuals who fail to meet their offer, they've got enough people who meet the criteria who want to join to fill the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending