The Student Room Group

Psychology reading lists

Hi! I am starting to plan my UCAS form for psychology courses. Can anyone recommend some books to read that would look good if I referenced them in my personal statement? Also any books to read over the next year to help prepare for my degree.
Thank you :smile:
Referencing books in your personal statement is never a good idea. They don't want to see that you have read books etc. They want to know why you want to do the degree, why you're inspired to do it and tbh reading a psych book is hardly the reason why you chose the degree. All I can suggest is that you tell the absolute truth. In mine I admitted I've had a tough life, I have friends with mental health issues, I have mental health issues and my sister died ect. You need to sell yourself to them, referencing shouldn't be in your personal statement. Honestly, go on to the UCAS website, they have guides to help you, if you need any help I'm always happy to help. 😊
Reply 2
Original post by mayleigha19
Referencing books in your personal statement is never a good idea. They don't want to see that you have read books etc. They want to know why you want to do the degree, why you're inspired to do it and tbh reading a psych book is hardly the reason why you chose the degree. All I can suggest is that you tell the absolute truth. In mine I admitted I've had a tough life, I have friends with mental health issues, I have mental health issues and my sister died ect. You need to sell yourself to them, referencing shouldn't be in your personal statement. Honestly, go on to the UCAS website, they have guides to help you, if you need any help I'm always happy to help. 😊

That does make sense, I think my school suggested books though as it can help show that you do have an interest in the academics of the subject. I have volunteering that I do which I plan to focus my personal statement on as it links in very nicely with psychology, was just thinking that some books may help empahsise that I do have a strong passion for the subject. I will look on the UCAS website though and message you if I need any more help, thank you! :smile:
Original post by Charlyw01
That does make sense, I think my school suggested books though as it can help show that you do have an interest in the academics of the subject. I have volunteering that I do which I plan to focus my personal statement on as it links in very nicely with psychology, was just thinking that some books may help empahsise that I do have a strong passion for the subject. I will look on the UCAS website though and message you if I need any more help, thank you! :smile:

Your teachers are wrong. Theres a set way to do your personal statement. 1 is where you talk about the subject you're applying for and say why you're passionate about it. 2 you talk about the subjects you're studying at the minute. I can't remember what 3 is but 4 you talk about volunteering and experience you have so far.
Original post by mayleigha19
Your teachers are wrong. Theres a set way to do your personal statement. 1 is where you talk about the subject you're applying for and say why you're passionate about it. 2 you talk about the subjects you're studying at the minute. I can't remember what 3 is but 4 you talk about volunteering and experience you have so far.

Talking about a book you read that sparked your passion for the subject can clearly be included under your first section that you mentioned. This is poor advice.

Talking about a book you read that got you interested in the topic is perfectly fine. Heck, I wrote about a book I read in my PS many moons ago.

However, you shouldn't just read books to simply include them in your personal statement. If you are truly interested in the topic you would have read books, listened to talks etc already.
Yep, indicated key researchers and important books in my PS too.
Reply 6
Original post by Cubone-r
Talking about a book you read that sparked your passion for the subject can clearly be included under your first section that you mentioned. This is poor advice.

Talking about a book you read that got you interested in the topic is perfectly fine. Heck, I wrote about a book I read in my PS many moons ago.

However, you shouldn't just read books to simply include them in your personal statement. If you are truly interested in the topic you would have read books, listened to talks etc already.

I have! I have listened to some TED talks and read a few books that cover many aspects of psychology, I was just wondering if there were any other books people could suggest, specifically ones that are famous in psychology I guess :smile:
Reply 7
Bro I gushed over Sherlock Holmes and deductive reasoning in my essays. Got into every program lol.

Quick Reply

Latest