The Student Room Group

I am super worried

I am in year 12, sixth form, taking Maths, Business, and Economics as A - Levels. I am extremely worried about my predicted grades, which are all Cs. I always wanted to go to a good university to study accounting and finance, and I am genuinely interested in this course, but I feel like I cannot do that anymore because my predicted grades are quite low but that is what I want to do and I am so scared and depressed and I feel like I ruined my future because universities will look at those Cs and straight up reject me. I really do not want any sympathy but I only came to the UK in year 10 and I did not know anything about the language, the curriculum, the school system, couldn't even properly greet someone. I worked so hard to move from the worst sets for English and all my other subjects to the top sets and I managed to do it. I tried so hard for my GCSEs and managed to get 8 in Maths, 7 in English, A's in my sciences. For some these may look horrible but for me, it was an achievement. And then I decided to do Maths, Economics, and Business as A - Levels and I honestly think I did quite well, better than most, I would say. However, these predicted grades got me all stressed out and paranoid because I do not want to be looked upon as a failure who couldn't make it to uni, but as an example for others. I promised myself to work so hard for year 13, start to study for it during the summer so I can stay ahead of the class and smash the A - Levels, but what would be the point of that if these unis will not accept me because of my predicted grades. I am so super scared and I do not know what to do and need help. I really apologize for this long post, but I am very worried.
you could always take a gap year then apply the year after :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Ray_Shadows
you could always take a gap year then apply the year after :smile:

sorry to ask, but how exactly would a gap year work?
I do know that it is after my A-Level results, but how would I apply, why would it have to be a year later, and also wouldn't universities consider me as less favourable due to the fact that I took a gap year, or would they be indifferent about it as long as I got the grades?
thank you
You could try talking to your teachers about it - see if you could convince them to give you better predicted grades? It depends on how you've worked during the year, I guess. Like, if your running average is a C then there probably won't be an improvement, but if you've been getting As and Bs or a few A*s then they should do something about it.

Your predicted grades are supposed to predict what your grades would be like in a years time, with a better understanding of the content and more work put into it so they won't be - shouldn't be - the grades you got in your yr 12 exams.

But if it doesn't work out this year, you can always take a gap year, re-sit if you'd like - there's no shame in that.
I'm in Yr 13 and currently doing my exams, I have an offer for Chemistry from Manchester but I'm thinking of taking a gap year anyway and applying to Manchester again.

A lot of Russell Group universities do look at re-sits so you'll be fine!!

Above everything else, make sure you're doing what you really want to do and what makes you happy. Because no degree at no uni is worth wanting to kill yourself over.

BEST OF LUCK IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS I HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Keep Smiling!:h:
University predictions are normally higher. Are you currently doing mocks?
Reply 5
Original post by TheArabEconomist

There will be 2 Maths exams quite soon
Yeah just do well in them and in other subjects then they won’t be able to predict you a lower grade
Reply 7
Original post by malmiperera19
You could try talking to your teachers about it - see if you could convince them to give you better predicted grades? It depends on how you've worked during the year, I guess. Like, if your running average is a C then there probably won't be an improvement, but if you've been getting As and Bs or a few A*s then they should do something about it.

Your predicted grades are supposed to predict what your grades would be like in a years time, with a better understanding of the content and more work put into it so they won't be - shouldn't be - the grades you got in your yr 12 exams.

But if it doesn't work out this year, you can always take a gap year, re-sit if you'd like - there's no shame in that.
I'm in Yr 13 and currently doing my exams, I have an offer for Chemistry from Manchester but I'm thinking of taking a gap year anyway and applying to Manchester again.

A lot of Russell Group universities do look at re-sits so you'll be fine!!

Above everything else, make sure you're doing what you really want to do and what makes you happy. Because no degree at no uni is worth wanting to kill yourself over.

BEST OF LUCK IN ALL YOUR ENDEAVOURS I HOPE THIS HELPED!!!

Keep Smiling!:h:

Original post by TheArabEconomist

Arab Economist
How fitting :laugh:
Reply 9
Honestly, they don't care if your predicted 3 C's, you'll get an offer.
Just don't apply to Oxbridge/LSE/Warwick, because it's unlikely that you'll get an offer from there.Good luck.
Original post by mihai55
sorry to ask, but how exactly would a gap year work?
I do know that it is after my A-Level results, but how would I apply, why would it have to be a year later, and also wouldn't universities consider me as less favourable due to the fact that I took a gap year, or would they be indifferent about it as long as I got the grades?
thank you

i'm in yr 12 aswell, kind of depends on the situation

say for example you you bad PG but then go on to do well in A2 take a gap year out and reapply through ucas for the year after (i think that's how it works)
also don't worry about uni's rejecting gap years (unless it's oxford or LSE or any other extremely high ranking uni) loads of people take gap years to travel/gain work experience,explore more opportunities etc.

Alternatively if you did bad next year you can take a gap year out and resit your a-level exams the summer after (however i'm not sure if uni's like oxford accept this)

hope this helped :smile:
Original post by AlkynesOfTruble
Arab Economist
How fitting :laugh:

??
Original post by mihai55
I am in year 12, sixth form, taking Maths, Business, and Economics as A - Levels. I am extremely worried about my predicted grades, which are all Cs. I always wanted to go to a good university to study accounting and finance, and I am genuinely interested in this course, but I feel like I cannot do that anymore because my predicted grades are quite low but that is what I want to do and I am so scared and depressed and I feel like I ruined my future because universities will look at those Cs and straight up reject me. I really do not want any sympathy but I only came to the UK in year 10 and I did not know anything about the language, the curriculum, the school system, couldn't even properly greet someone. I worked so hard to move from the worst sets for English and all my other subjects to the top sets and I managed to do it. I tried so hard for my GCSEs and managed to get 8 in Maths, 7 in English, A's in my sciences. For some these may look horrible but for me, it was an achievement. And then I decided to do Maths, Economics, and Business as A - Levels and I honestly think I did quite well, better than most, I would say. However, these predicted grades got me all stressed out and paranoid because I do not want to be looked upon as a failure who couldn't make it to uni, but as an example for others. I promised myself to work so hard for year 13, start to study for it during the summer so I can stay ahead of the class and smash the A - Levels, but what would be the point of that if these unis will not accept me because of my predicted grades. I am so super scared and I do not know what to do and need help. I really apologize for this long post, but I am very worried.

Grades matter, but if you have the skill and work experience that you could gain in a gap year, you will be able to go places.
Does your school/sixth form allow you to stay on another year? My friend is only averaging E or U in chemistry and wants to keep doing it but has to drop it if she doesn't get a D in the end of year exam. She is going to essentially stay for year 14 after year 13 to do an extra AS if she doesn't pass chemistry. This will give her time to work on chemistry again or something else whatever she chooses, and it will help her get better grades by spending more time on it. Make sure you are doing lots of practice/work/revision at home or whenever you get time and use your textbooks and other sources. Ask your teachers for extra support or consider a tutor.
Gap years are fine - gain skills that unis like. Or just keep working to improve your grades. There is no shame in that.
Some unis will allow CCC to get in, but obviously if you are looking at better unis and courses then higher grades are needed. Is uni your only considered route? Depending on what you want to go into maybe look at an apprenticeship.
Keep persevering with your studies and believe in yourself that you will get there! (Also, I will be studying A2 content over the summer too to get ahead - definitely no shame in that although in my experience of studying ahead you may get bored in lessons if you know the stuff already but it can be good revision).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending