The Student Room Group

Urgent help with physics question pleaseee

The electric potential is –1.2 *10&–4 J C–1 at a point 1.2*10^–5 m from an isolated electron. An α-particle 4 He, passes through this point.

What is the magnitude of the electric potential at the mid-point between the α-particle and the electron at this instant?

So I used v=((1.6*10^-19)*2)/(4pi*(8.85*10^-12)*(1.2*10^-5)) to calculate the electric potential - and then I added this to the electric potential given and divided by 2.. but this method is wrong - can anyone help please????
Original post by MrToodles4
The electric potential is –1.2 *10&–4 J C–1 at a point 1.2*10^–5 m from an isolated electron. An α-particle 4 He, passes through this point.

What is the magnitude of the electric potential at the mid-point between the α-particle and the electron at this instant?

So I used v=((1.6*10^-19)*2)/(4pi*(8.85*10^-12)*(1.2*10^-5)) to calculate the electric potential - and then I added this to the electric potential given and divided by 2.. but this method is wrong - can anyone help please????

V=((1.6*10^-19)*2)/(4pi*(8.85*10^-12)*(1.2*10^-5))

You did not calculate the electric potential properly because you use the wrong distance.
You are asked potential at the mid point between the α-particle and the electron.
Reply 2
Original post by Eimmanuel
V=((1.6*10^-19)*2)/(4pi*(8.85*10^-12)*(1.2*10^-5))

You did not calculate the electric potential properly because you use the wrong distance.
You are asked potential at the mid point between the α-particle and the electron.

I also tried dividing that distance in red by two and calculating - still wrong??
Reply 3
Calculate the electric potential of both the electron to the mid-point and then the electric potential of the alpha particle to the mid-point. Then add them together, I think?
IMG_20180607_184034__01.jpg
I also tried dividing that distance in red by two and calculating - still wrong??

Without your actual working, I can say nothing.
Reply 5
Original post by Alvie
Calculate the electric potential of both the electron to the mid-point and then the electric potential of the alpha particle to the mid-point. Then add them together, I think?
IMG_20180607_184034__01.jpg

Now this was extremely helpful :smile: Thank you so much - so you just ignore the electric potential they give in the question
Reply 6
Now this was extremely helpful :smile: Thank you so much - so you just ignore the electric potential they give in the question

Yeah, kinda... I think they gave it to you so you can work out the charge of the electron but that's already known!
....... so you just ignore the electric potential they give in the question

Original post by Alvie
Yeah, kinda... I think they gave it to you so you can work out the charge of the electron but that's already known!

The answer can be either a yes or no depending on situation.

If the electric potential of a charged particle 1 is ϕ1 at a distance r1, then the electric potential of a charged particle 1 at ½r1 is 2ϕ1.

Then the electric potential due to a charged particle 2 at a distance ½r1 and given that the magnitude of electric charge for particle 2 is twice that of particle 1, then the electric potential of a charged particle 2 at ½r1 is 4ϕ1.

Total electric potential at ½r1 due to charged particle 1 and 2 is
2ϕ1 + 4ϕ1

As for the actual question, total electric potential will be +2ϕ1 = 2 × 1.2 × 10–4 J C–1 .

Quick Reply

Latest