The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level English Language exam 6th june

how did everyone find it?

I thought the language change section was a bit difficult

Scroll to see replies

I found it overall pretty good, although I think I rushed quite a bit.
It's annoying because I reckon I could've got tonnes out of it if only there had been more time. I did find language change kinda difficult but that's definitely my weakest part of the course.
Original post by octoppus
I found it overall pretty good, although I think I rushed quite a bit.
It's annoying because I reckon I could've got tonnes out of it if only there had been more time. I did find language change kinda difficult but that's definitely my weakest part of the course.

yeah i agree.

i know i couldve wrote more!

i couldnt think of many theorists for the language change section.
i only discussed prescriptivism and descriptivism and sharon goodman lol.
Original post by moonlightbae
yeah i agree.

i know i couldve wrote more!

i couldnt think of many theorists for the language change section.
i only discussed prescriptivism and descriptivism and sharon goodman lol.

I got really carried away with language change and only in my final main paragraph did I realise I hadn't put in any theorists. The only one I managed to get in there was Howard Giles accommodation! Thinking back, I know I probably could've got more in if I'd remembered to haha
I got really carried away with language change and only in my final main paragraph did I realise I hadn't put in any theorists. The only one I managed to get in there was Howard Giles accommodation! Thinking back, I know I probably could've got more in if I'd remembered to haha

thats true.

what are your hopes for the child language exam?

i hope writing does not come up!
thats true.

what are your hopes for the child language exam?

i hope writing does not come up!

If writing comes up I will contemplate walking out of the exam! It's so dry compared to speaking and I have no good theories for it really.
But on the whole I'm feeling okay about it because I find it the most interesting out of the whole course and it usually tends to be the part I'm best at. I'm really hoping they give us an example with a parent speaking as well so we can talk about LASS and child directed speech!
If writing comes up I will contemplate walking out of the exam! It's so dry compared to speaking and I have no good theories for it really.
But on the whole I'm feeling okay about it because I find it the most interesting out of the whole course and it usually tends to be the part I'm best at. I'm really hoping they give us an example with a parent speaking as well so we can talk about LASS and child directed speech!

I felt the same about writing but the exam wasn't too bad! I quickly revised gender differences in writing before the exam. How did you find it? I think there was a lot to talk about but not enough time! and i agree, i am a lot better at that unitcompared to other units.
I felt the same about writing but the exam wasn't too bad! I quickly revised gender differences in writing before the exam. How did you find it? I think there was a lot to talk about but not enough time! and i agree, i am a lot better at that unitcompared to other units.

I think it definitely could've gone worse. I found it slightly annoying that they gave us four texts to analyse in only an hour. I also found that the question was worded a little strangely. How are you feeling about tomorrow's paper?
I think it definitely could've gone worse. I found it slightly annoying that they gave us four texts to analyse in only an hour. I also found that the question was worded a little strangely. How are you feeling about tomorrow's paper?

oh yeah it was so annoying that they gave us so many texts to look at ! For unit 3, im doing Language and Gender. i hope it goes okay, i would prefer it if both questions were worth equal marks though cause i dont know which im better at answering. I havent really carried out much research though! Are you prepared for it?
oh yeah it was so annoying that they gave us so many texts to look at ! For unit 3, im doing Language and Gender. i hope it goes okay, i would prefer it if both questions were worth equal marks though cause i dont know which im better at answering. I havent really carried out much research though! Are you prepared for it?

Honestly I'm not prepared at all! I'm doing language and power and I don't know how much of my investigation I'm going to be able to remember by tomorrow! My plan is to aim for high marks on section A and hope I remember enough to get through section B. Our teacher has been off a lot and hasn't really given much advice on what to write for the whole of paper 3 so fingers crossed it'll go okay.
Honestly I'm not prepared at all! I'm doing language and power and I don't know how much of my investigation I'm going to be able to remember by tomorrow! My plan is to aim for high marks on section A and hope I remember enough to get through section B. Our teacher has been off a lot and hasn't really given much advice on what to write for the whole of paper 3 so fingers crossed it'll go okay.
how did it go??
Reply 11
what was your pre-release question for language and gender?
how did it go??

I think it went as well as it could've done! Section A went beautifully, and I think I managed to do okay on section B. How did you find it??
I didn't answer the question in child language smh
I think it went as well as it could've done! Section A went beautifully, and I think I managed to do okay on section B. How did you find it??

it was alright, i dont think i spoke about enough points for section A and i think i wasted too much time on section B. i hope it all has gone well though! i am glad i dont have anymore english lessons, i just have maths exams left now!
Original post by aimee1014
I didn't answer the question in child language smh

what do you mean? you wrote nothing?
what do you mean? you wrote nothing?

I think they mean that they did the question but they didn't explicitly answer what the question wanted them too. I think I sort of did the same thing, i mentioned how they developed their language but not explicitly referring to the question.
it was alright, i dont think i spoke about enough points for section A and i think i wasted too much time on section B. i hope it all has gone well though! i am glad i dont have anymore english lessons, i just have maths exams left now!

I know what you mean. Good luck for maths!
Original post by powerson12
I think they mean that they did the question but they didn't explicitly answer what the question wanted them too. I think I sort of did the same thing, i mentioned how they developed their language but not explicitly referring to the question.

I completely forgot to reference to question so I had to tie it onto the end of my paragraphs, so I don't know how well I did :/ The question was pretty badly worded too!
Original post by powerson12

ohh okay, i get you. i think i did kind of similar too, i didnt link each point back to the question. still, i hope we all get good marks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending