The Student Room Group

Question for all people that are LGBT+

For Gay/Lesbian people:
If gender is a social construct:
Why do most lesbians dress up/act/have mannerisms that are male?
Why do gay men dress up/act/have mannerisms that are female?

For Transgender people:
Do transgender people think themselves/yourself to be ACTUALLY biologically male/female? As most trans people just act out stereotypes?
I've also heard of the fact that transgender people have different brains, but I believe that the differences between the female and male neurological structures are pointless according to science. There isn't any evidence that suggests the differences in neurological structure between men and women have anything to do with their cognitive abilities. So, a man can have a brain that is similar in structure to the average woman and he will still identify as a man. Feel free to disprove/correct, I'm here to learn.

Sorry if this comes across as bashing/hate/offending. I don't intend to offend at all, I just want to learn more, which is why I've presented my thoughts as questions. I've tried to research but I like it better if I can actually speak to people and converse with them and ask more questions, also since none of my friends are apart of the LGBT+ community.
Thanks.
Original post by Anonymous
For Gay/Lesbian people:

For Transgender people:
Do transgender people think themselves/yourself to be ACTUALLY biologically male/female? As most trans people just act out stereotypes?
I've also heard of the fact that transgender people have different brains, but I believe that the differences between the female and male neurological structures are pointless according to science. There isn't any evidence that suggests the differences in neurological structure between men and women have anything to do with their cognitive abilities. So, a man can have a brain that is similar in structure to the average woman and he will still identify as a man. Feel free to disprove/correct, I'm here to learn.

Sorry if this comes across as bashing/hate/offending. I don't intend to offend at all, I just want to learn more, which is why I've presented my thoughts as questions. I've tried to research but I like it better if I can actually speak to people and converse with them and ask more questions, also since none of my friends are apart of the LGBT+ community.
Thanks.

Firstly, not all gay men are feminine and secondly, I feel like some gay/bisexual men act a bit feminine because they don’t have to be masculine like straight people because they like their own gender
Reply 2
Original post by scott.foster33
Firstly, not all gay men are feminine and secondly, I feel like some gay/bisexual men act a bit feminine because they don’t have to be masculine like straight people because they like their own gender

Yes, sorry, I know it wasn't in my post but I am fully aware that not all gay men act feminine. So are you saying that gay men feel more free to act themselves because they aren't in the confines of masculinity, as straight men very much are? Which, I have to say, is a good point. However, again, because being feminine is a social construct why is it that most gay men always seem to act in a very feminine way? Very flamboyant, etc.... Same for lesbians.... Shouldn't a sexuality just be apart of a person? Like, the person has their own personality but they just happens to be gay/lesbian/etc...? Why is it that most have, (what seems to me) a very specific and same personality ("yaaaas girl, work it b" for lack of a word to describe it) and lesbians act very masculine as well. That's what I don't get.
Yes, sorry, I know it wasn't in my post but I am fully aware that not all gay men act feminine. So are you saying that gay men feel more free to act themselves because they aren't in the confines of masculinity, as straight men very much are? Which, I have to say, is a good point. However, again, because being feminine is a social construct why is it that most gay men always seem to act in a very feminine way? Very flamboyant, etc.... Same for lesbians.... Shouldn't a sexuality just be apart of a person? Like, the person has their own personality but they just happens to be gay/lesbian/etc...? Why is it that most have, (what seems to me) a very specific and same personality ("yaaaas girl, work it b" for lack of a word to describe it) and lesbians act very masculine as well. That's what I don't get.

That’s a really hard question, I’m not really sure it may be because a lot of gay guys are around women and that affects their behaviour and the same for lesbians around guys but it does depend on who you’re surrounded by at an earlier age

For Gay/Lesbian people:

You might be confusing sex and gender. A social construct is an idea that has generally been created and accepted by society. Being a biological man or woman is not a social construct, it is your sex. It has nothing to do with society. The idea of being masculine or feminine is biologically inclined, however the concept of what makes a man or a woman in society is a social construct. That doesn't invalidate or validate anything. Being masculine or feminine is inclined by biology, so you could also it isn't a social construct because of that. It's just an odd discussion, because it both is a social construct in some ways and isn't in others.
To answer the two questions:
Societal influence has an incredibly understated role in a child's development. You may end up being a dominant person or a submissive person. Masculine behaviours and mannerisms are typically dominant and feminine behaviours and mannerisms are typically submissive. Any man or woman can be dominant or submissive. Sexuality isn't too related, however, a dominant person will make a much better couple with a submissive person than two dominant or two submissive people. Dominant females that are lesbians may adopt more masculine behaviours because they are more dominant people. Gay men may end up adopting female behaviours and a preference to be feminine because they're submissive (hence how traps are a thing). I don't know if sexuality affects if you are dominant or submissive, however I suspect that there are biological inclinations that play a role too. Gender is a social contract in a sense that society has generally accepted that one is dominant, strong stoic etcetera and the other is submissive, physically weaker and more emotional.

Honestly, I'd ignore the whole social construct argument. It doesn't make a difference if is or isn't anyway. People are biologically one or the other, however, societal influences and sexuality may make one prefer to be the other.

For Transgender people:

Absolutely not. Transgender just means trans (on the other side of, in this context, biological sex) gender. Aka the other gender that isn't associated with their biological sex. There are two types of trans people. Not Female to Male (FtM) or Male to Female (MtF). The two types are people with gender dysphoria and transtrenders. I know no one with gender dysphoria what is actually crazy enough to believe they are actually a male when they're female or vice versa. They all know they are what they are biologically. They just have a very heavy preference to have been born as the opposite sex instead. They want to be the opposite sex really badly, they know they never will be. The reason why they become transgender and take hormones and have surgery is that it is the closest they will ever be to being the opposite sex.
How to determine if someone has gender dysphoria:
They feel uncomfortable being their current sex, they may even feel uncomfortable just being in public.
They actually want to be the other sex for reasons that aren't related to politics at all.
They are willing to / have put in extensive effort into trying to look like someone of the opposite sex.
They would rather be known as the opposite sex than transgender.
They may not actually become transgender, mostly to the fault of the transtrenders, or they feel like they can never become close enough to the opposite sex.
How to determine if someone is a transtrender:
They are Brianna Wu, a very popular transtrender.
They identify as some bizarre gender made up to feel special. Aka anyone who calls themself 'Demiboy' 'Transqueer' or anything like that.
They obviously have no intention of ever transitioning or want to act like their original gender still.

For the brain structures argument, it's just another example of how societal influence during young ages has a colossal effect on who you grow up to be. A man with a brain structure more similar to a female may be more likely to feel gender dysphoria, however, that brain structure is most likely a symptom and not the cause. The cause is probably societal influence at young ages. Studies have shown that young children that have been isolated or treated badly have grown different brain structures to those treated well and given attention when needed, I'd cite it but it's been ages since GCSE psychology, probably ask the GCSE psych students.

TL;DR
Actual transgender people want to be the opposite sex really badly, they know they can't be. They don't believe they are, because that'd be delusional.
The whole 'social construct' thing is a non-issue, having a dominant personality or submissive personality is a big factor, and having either personality is a result of societal influence at young ages and some biological inclination.
Reply 5
yes gender is a social construct and we mimic what we see, i.e. i know how to be a woman from watching other women. men don't cry because they aren't allowed to is a prime example. it's possible then that some gay people learn to 'act gay' from watching other gay people. but i would disagree that most lesbians dress like men. i know plenty of lesbians and none of them do that.
Reply 6
Original post by Cuddly Lizard
You might be confusing sex and gender. A social construct is an idea that has generally been created and accepted by society. Being a biological man or woman is not a social construct, it is your sex. It has nothing to do with society. The idea of being masculine or feminine is biologically inclined, however the concept of what makes a man or a woman in society is a social construct. That doesn't invalidate or validate anything. Being masculine or feminine is inclined by biology, so you could also it isn't a social construct because of that. It's just an odd discussion, because it both is a social construct in some ways and isn't in others.
To answer the two questions:
Societal influence has an incredibly understated role in a child's development. You may end up being a dominant person or a submissive person. Masculine behaviours and mannerisms are typically dominant and feminine behaviours and mannerisms are typically submissive. Any man or woman can be dominant or submissive. Sexuality isn't too related, however, a dominant person will make a much better couple with a submissive person than two dominant or two submissive people. Dominant females that are lesbians may adopt more masculine behaviours because they are more dominant people. Gay men may end up adopting female behaviours and a preference to be feminine because they're submissive (hence how traps are a thing). I don't know if sexuality affects if you are dominant or submissive, however I suspect that there are biological inclinations that play a role too. Gender is a social contract in a sense that society has generally accepted that one is dominant, strong stoic etcetera and the other is submissive, physically weaker and more emotional.

Honestly, I'd ignore the whole social construct argument. It doesn't make a difference if is or isn't anyway. People are biologically one or the other, however, societal influences and sexuality may make one prefer to be the other.

Absolutely not. Transgender just means trans (on the other side of, in this context, biological sex) gender. Aka the other gender that isn't associated with their biological sex. There are two types of trans people. Not Female to Male (FtM) or Male to Female (MtF). The two types are people with gender dysphoria and transtrenders. I know no one with gender dysphoria what is actually crazy enough to believe they are actually a male when they're female or vice versa. They all know they are what they are biologically. They just have a very heavy preference to have been born as the opposite sex instead. They want to be the opposite sex really badly, they know they never will be. The reason why they become transgender and take hormones and have surgery is that it is the closest they will ever be to being the opposite sex.
How to determine if someone has gender dysphoria:
They feel uncomfortable being their current sex, they may even feel uncomfortable just being in public.
They actually want to be the other sex for reasons that aren't related to politics at all.
They are willing to / have put in extensive effort into trying to look like someone of the opposite sex.
They would rather be known as the opposite sex than transgender.
They may not actually become transgender, mostly to the fault of the transtrenders, or they feel like they can never become close enough to the opposite sex.
How to determine if someone is a transtrender:
They are Brianna Wu, a very popular transtrender.
They identify as some bizarre gender made up to feel special. Aka anyone who calls themself 'Demiboy' 'Transqueer' or anything like that.
They obviously have no intention of ever transitioning or want to act like their original gender still.

For the brain structures argument, it's just another example of how societal influence during young ages has a colossal effect on who you grow up to be. A man with a brain structure more similar to a female may be more likely to feel gender dysphoria, however, that brain structure is most likely a symptom and not the cause. The cause is probably societal influence at young ages. Studies have shown that young children that have been isolated or treated badly have grown different brain structures to those treated well and given attention when needed, I'd cite it but it's been ages since GCSE psychology, probably ask the GCSE psych students.

TL;DR
Actual transgender people want to be the opposite sex really badly, they know they can't be. They don't believe they are, because that'd be delusional.
The whole 'social construct' thing is a non-issue, having a dominant personality or submissive personality is a big factor, and having either personality is a result of societal influence at young ages and some biological inclination.

Yoooo, you've explained this so well that I don't believe I have any other questions to ask! Thanks for being so helpful! You win :smile:
A refreshing thread from OP proving that not every LGBT question thread is rude and ignorant.
Thank you for asking nicely and showing interest in the way you did, this is what I want to see more of on here :smile:
Short answer: they don’t

I am a girl and I sometimes wear ‘male’ clothes because they are more comfortable. I like to think I look equally good in a suit and a dress.

Really, perhaps LGBT+ people are freed of some of the pressure to fit in a rigid box and do more as they feel comfortable with. Also, the ones who look ‘correct’ for their gender aren’t read as being LGBT. I lived with a bisexual girl and she wasn’t a stereotype at all - and was therefore regularly asked about her boyfriend, despite going out with a girl. Google ‘femme invisibility’ and you’ll see what I mean.
For Gay/Lesbian people:

For Transgender people:

Thanks.

(Original post by Anonymous)

I cannot answer for all trans people, I can answer for me.
HI, I'm a biologically female teenager identifying as trans. That means that I do not identify to be female. I don't know what I am, yet. It will take freedom to choose how to dress and what to do for at least a while before I can say that.

Your first question is, simply put, wrong. It is like asking, if the sun is green, why are most clouds red?
That totally depends on the persons liking of style and sense of fashion and peer influence, not if they are attracted to men or women!
You can be fully masculine or feminine and still like men and females respectively!

Gender is not fully a social construct. It is as much a social construct as god is a social construct.
There is feminine energy or energy which has certain characteristics, which we call feminine. Same for masculine energy.
What is a social construct is how a person with a penis or vagina should behave, dress, believe. Going with my previous metaphor, God is not a social construct, how to pray to him? her? and how he/she looks like and what to believe about him/her is.

Gender is the range of characteristics pertaining to and differentiating between, masculinity and femininity. Depending on the context, these characteristics may include biological sex, sex-based social structures (i.e., gender roles), or gender identity.
Gender identity is closely related to gender roles, which is a social construct, too. It means how a person identifying as a particular gender should behave.

I am not sure yet, but I identify as a biromantic (Romantically interested in all gender) Bisexual (attracted to men and women) transgender (not identifying as female, even though I have female sexual organs). What does that mean? When I say that I do not identify as a woman, I mean that I do not possess only feminine energy. I have masculine energy in almost equal amounts. I act both feminine and masculine if you look at what society says about how a woman is and a man is. I am aggressive, bold, strong, and polite, accommodating, and nurturing(for lack of a better word.) I am interested in both genders, romantically, and sexually. That is what I mean. And that sounds like I know all about myself but you see, I have not actually met trans people, so I may be pansexual, too.

2nd part. Do transgenders think themself/yourself to be actually biologically male/female? Of course yes, duh. If you are trans, it means that your body is not what you want it to be. They know their physical sex, they know they are either male or female biologically. Unless you have a mental disorder. Or you have been trussed up in a way you never looked at your own body or were not given that information.
I think what you mean here, though, is whether a transwoman thinks she is biologically female before surgery. Of course not, duh! For the same reason above. You can undergo mastectomy(top surgery) surgeries that include metoidioplasty, phalloplasty, scrotoplasty, and hysterectomy, along with testosterone therapy for FTM and Surgeries including vaginoplasty, feminizing augmentation mammoplasty, orchiectomy, facial feminization surgery, reduction thyrochondroplasty (tracheal shave), and voice feminization surgery, along with oestrogen therapy among others for MTF (FTM is female to male and MTF is male to female) and get your sex changed, and then you can be a transwoman or transman who is actually a woman/man respectively, though. See: https://www.youtube.com/c/Jammidodger94 for an FTM example. and he is dorkyyy and I love his videos.

3rd part. No idea, sir/madam. I hope someone else answered that for you.

Last part, no, It's not offending, much. Just a little misinformed. I'm happy that you are open enough to ask. If you want to talk more about it, here is my gmail: [email protected]. Also, try homosexual dramas. They may help you better understand them. And aww hell they're cute together! To me at least...

*sigh. lonely fujoshi...
For Gay/Lesbian people:
If gender is a social construct?????

Huh? Sexuality is not a social construct, it's a biological fact. People who are homophobic would love to think it's "constructed".
Original post by studenthelper20
For Gay/Lesbian people:
If gender is a social construct?????

Huh? Sexuality is not a social construct, it's a biological fact. People who are homophobic would love to think it's "constructed".

A little less harsh if can be? And gender is a social construct too, in some ways.

Latest

Trending

Trending