The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Business Management and Marketing

Anyone doing Business management and marketing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by billy13
Anyone doing Business management and marketing?

Hi @billy13

I am a current third year Business Management and Marketing student, so if you have any questions about the course don't hesitate to give me a shout!

Chris
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi Chris,Was just wondering if there was a reading list as would like to get any textbooks before starting if possible.Will.
Original post by billy13
Hi Chris,Was just wondering if there was a reading list as would like to get any textbooks before starting if possible.Will.

Hi Will

The reading lists will be released nearer the start of term so I woulfn't worry about it too much for now. Most textbooks will be available online so there may not be any need to go out and buy any.

If you decide when you start term that you do want to get some textbooks, my advice would be to get them from a second/third year student. The textbooks don't tend to change that mych year-on-year and they'll be a lot cheaper second hand :smile:

Let me know if I can help any further

Chris
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Hi Chris,

Yeah thanks for that help, makes sense I suppose but wouldn't know how to approach the 2/3rd years tbh.

Will.
Original post by billy13
Hi Chris,

Yeah thanks for that help, makes sense I suppose but wouldn't know how to approach the 2/3rd years tbh.

Will.

Hi Will

Most 2nd/3rd years will post on the NTU facebook pages as they will want to sell their books. You'd just have to send them a message about when you could collect and how much you are willing to pay :smile:

Chris
Reply 6
Original post by Nottingham Trent University
Hi @billy13

I am a current third year Business Management and Marketing student, so if you have any questions about the course don't hesitate to give me a shout!

Chris

Hi,

What coursework/exams/dissertation do you do in third year for management and marketing?

Thanks
Hi @sdrx

Third year is a mix of coursework and exams, most modules with have an exam and a coursework. There is no dissertation(!), it is in fact a research project which can be based upon anything to do with marketing. The end report is maximum 6,000 words so really isn't that daunting.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU rep
Reply 8
Hi @sdrx

Third year is a mix of coursework and exams, most modules with have an exam and a coursework. There is no dissertation(!), it is in fact a research project which can be based upon anything to do with marketing. The end report is maximum 6,000 words so really isn't that daunting.

Let me know if you have any other questions :smile:

Chris - NTU rep

Thanks for replying, so when do we have to do the research project? Is it something that we have to develop throughout the year? How many exams do we have and how many pieces of coursework?

Sorry for all the questions haha
Original post by sdrx
Thanks for replying, so when do we have to do the research project? Is it something that we have to develop throughout the year? How many exams do we have and how many pieces of coursework?

Sorry for all the questions haha

No problem, ask away :smile:

The main bulk of the research project is done in the 2nd half of the year, but you are encouraged to develop your ideas and have a plan together before this.

Improving customer experience is 50% Exam 50% course work
Contemporary issues in Strategic Marketing Management is 50% Essay 50% Exam
Leadership & Employability is 40% a group presentation 60% individual report

And then the last module is optional so depending on which one you choose will depend on how you are assesed.

Hope that helps!
Chris- NTU rep
Reply 10
No problem, ask away :smile:

The main bulk of the research project is done in the 2nd half of the year, but you are encouraged to develop your ideas and have a plan together before this.

Improving customer experience is 50% Exam 50% course work
Contemporary issues in Strategic Marketing Management is 50% Essay 50% Exam
Leadership & Employability is 40% a group presentation 60% individual report

And then the last module is optional so depending on which one you choose will depend on how you are assesed.

Hope that helps!
Chris- NTU rep

So we do 4 modules and an additional research project? Does this research project count as 40 credits then?
Original post by sdrx
So we do 4 modules and an additional research project? Does this research project count as 40 credits then?

Sorry I missed one out! - Comparative and International Management

So 5 modules plus the research project, all at 20 credits each :smile:
Reply 12
Sorry I missed one out! - Comparative and International Management

So 5 modules plus the research project, all at 20 credits each :smile:

Are the exams in January or summer? Or a bit of both. I have a topic I would like to do for my research project, is it worth starting to get a plan together now?
Original post by sdrx
Are the exams in January or summer? Or a bit of both. I have a topic I would like to do for my research project, is it worth starting to get a plan together now?

All of the exams will be in the summer but the coursework is spread out over the year :smile:

You could definitely start to plan your ideas out but don't start to do any primary research as this will be against research ethics that you will need to sign when you being the module.

Chris - NTU rep
Reply 14
All of the exams will be in the summer but the coursework is spread out over the year :smile:

You could definitely start to plan your ideas out but don't start to do any primary research as this will be against research ethics that you will need to sign when you being the module.

Chris - NTU rep

Hi, me again!

I got a 2:1 overall in second year. Can’t seem to find much online about the grading system for third year and would like to know how achievable it is for me to get a 1st overall, through the module assessments we have previously spoken about.

Any information or opinion would be appreciated,

thanks!
Original post by sdrx
Hi, me again!

I got a 2:1 overall in second year. Can’t seem to find much online about the grading system for third year and would like to know how achievable it is for me to get a 1st overall, through the module assessments we have previously spoken about.

Any information or opinion would be appreciated,

thanks!

Hey @sdrx

That's great news! Massive congratulations :biggrin:

Your second year counts for 20% and then third year being 80%. I've been told that as a general rule of thumb if you get a first in half of your modules and a 2:1 in the rest, you are well on your way towards getting that first.

With 68% of the assessment in final year being coursework, it will help you to work out what you may need to get when your doing your exams :smile:

Hope that helps!
Chris
Reply 16
Hey @sdrx

That's great news! Massive congratulations :biggrin:

Your second year counts for 20% and then third year being 80%. I've been told that as a general rule of thumb if you get a first in half of your modules and a 2:1 in the rest, you are well on your way towards getting that first.

With 68% of the assessment in final year being coursework, it will help you to work out what you may need to get when your doing your exams :smile:

Hope that helps!
Chris

Hello!

Thank you for the information, so I’m hoping that a first isn’t too far of a reach then!!

Will update you in a years time 😂

Thanks again
Original post by sdrx
Hello!

Thank you for the information, so I’m hoping that a first isn’t too far of a reach then!!

Will update you in a years time 😂

Thanks again

No problem, good luck for final year! :biggrin:

Chris
Hi @billy13

Chris

If you don't mind can you please help me out. I'll be starting my second year and I'm transferring to a different university. I have the option of doing a joint degree where i can either do marketing or business but I'm not sure which would be the best in terms of job prospects. Can you please give me some advice?
Original post by misaka1
If you don't mind can you please help me out. I'll be starting my second year and I'm transferring to a different university. I have the option of doing a joint degree where i can either do marketing or business but I'm not sure which would be the best in terms of job prospects. Can you please give me some advice?

Hi Misaka1

No problem at all! I think it totally depends of if you are dead set on what you want to do when you graduate, what is the full name of your degree?

I personally chose to do business management and marketing over straight marketing because I wasn't dead set that I wanted to go into marketing and therefore the business degree gave me more scope.

For example - I know people who were doing the Business management course who have gone on to do placements in a variety of roles i.e. HR, accounting and Marketing whilst the students on my course tended to go onto marketing roles.

In terms of job prospects, it's key to get some work experience under your belt. Be that some voluntary work experience or a placement - you'll need to show you've been willing to do some extra-curricular activities in addition to your degree.

Chris :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending