The Student Room Group

A Level Latin 2018 grade boundaries

What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for an A?? As in the raw mark out of 300. I’ve tried to look at the OCR grade boundaries from last year but I just got really confused. Could someone help me out please?
Original post by trueblood99
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be for an A?? As in the raw mark out of 300. I’ve tried to look at the OCR grade boundaries from last year but I just got really confused. Could someone help me out please?

Ok so hold in for a bit of a ride cos it's kinda confusing:
Since we are doing a new specification there is literally no suggestion from OCR about possible grade boundaries. All we have to work with is the grade boundaries from the OLD specification which are very low. However, having looked at examiner's reports, it seems that much of the difficulty on those papers were the unseen literary analysis (which we don't do) and a lack of time (it was VERY time pressured). Moreover, their literature was completely different and quite a bit harder.
The 2017 Prose paper (language and lit) required 84 for 100 UMS, 76 for 90 UMS (A*), 68 for 80 UMS (A), 62 for 70 UMS (B) and 52 for 60 UMS (C).
The 2017 Verse paper (again, lang and lit) required 85 for 100 UMS, 78 for 90 UMS (A*), 71 for 80 UMS (A), 64 for 70 UMS (B) and 57 for 60 UMS (C).
But also remember that they needed 90% at A2 for an A* and 80% average including their AS for an A.

This year's papers: The Unseen paper seemed to be considered difficult, but I don't think it was harder than the time-pressured one the old specification suffered. The Comprehension paper seemed to be considered pretty easy, so I reckon that'll help.

I reckon that grade boundaries will be something like:
Unseen Paper (/100)
85 = A*
77 = A
70 = B
62 = C

Prose Comp Paper (/50)
44 = A*
40 = A
36 = B
32 = C
Or something...

Let's see for the Literature though...
Reply 2
Thank you, that’s really helpful. Here’s hoping i get an A
Original post by trueblood99
Thank you, that’s really helpful. Here’s hoping i get an A

fingers are crossed!! :crossedf:
Original post by Martins1
Ok so hold in for a bit of a ride cos it's kinda confusing:
Since we are doing a new specification there is literally no suggestion from OCR about possible grade boundaries. All we have to work with is the grade boundaries from the OLD specification which are very low. However, having looked at examiner's reports, it seems that much of the difficulty on those papers were the unseen literary analysis (which we don't do) and a lack of time (it was VERY time pressured). Moreover, their literature was completely different and quite a bit harder.
The 2017 Prose paper (language and lit) required 84 for 100 UMS, 76 for 90 UMS (A*), 68 for 80 UMS (A), 62 for 70 UMS (B) and 52 for 60 UMS (C).
The 2017 Verse paper (again, lang and lit) required 85 for 100 UMS, 78 for 90 UMS (A*), 71 for 80 UMS (A), 64 for 70 UMS (B) and 57 for 60 UMS (C).
But also remember that they needed 90% at A2 for an A* and 80% average including their AS for an A.

This year's papers: The Unseen paper seemed to be considered difficult, but I don't think it was harder than the time-pressured one the old specification suffered. The Comprehension paper seemed to be considered pretty easy, so I reckon that'll help.

I reckon that grade boundaries will be something like:
Unseen Paper (/100)
85 = A*
77 = A
70 = B
62 = C

Prose Comp Paper (/50)
44 = A*
40 = A
36 = B
32 = C
Or something...

Let's see for the Literature though...

Do you have any ideas about what the grade boundaries might be for the literature? Or what marks out of 300 would be needed for each grade? Thank you :smile:
Original post by BlueberryViolin
Do you have any ideas about what the grade boundaries might be for the literature? Or what marks out of 300 would be needed for each grade? Thank you :smile:

Sure, I can have a guess. Literature was a LOT easier this year in terms of its contents. It completely depends on how harshly they mark, but I'm under the impression that they mark quite generously (this is all based on the specimen answers online: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471079-prose-literature-and-verse-literature.pdf )
I'd advise you to have a look at the above link first to consider how your responses measure in comparison to the ones given.
Having looked at this, I would say marking is generous and that high marks will be common. Thus, grade boundaries will be high.

Each literature paper is worth 75 marks, composed of: 28, 27, 20 for each of the three sections (A, B, C).

The 28/27 marks are composed mostly of easy marks which include simple comprehension questions, a couple 'trickier' historical questions (some candidates are caught out here), a 5-mark translation and then the hard 15 markers. The 15 markers are the make and break and while it is leniently marked, in my opinion, considering the online versions, many students will make mistakes in how they formulate and write down these answers.

The 20 marker is pretty simple and I would guess that the biggest issue for candidates is running out of time and hence not writing enough/in enough detail.

All that being said:
My guesses for A*/A/B/C grade boundaries for each part of the paper:
Simple comprehension qs/historical qs (15): 14, 12, 10, 8
5-mark translations (total 10 marks): 9, 7, 5, 4
15 markers (total 30 marks): 28, 24, 20, 14
20 marker: 18, 16, 13, 10
TOTAL (75) : 69, 59, 48, 36

Before I actually calculated these grade boundaries by each question, I put a hypothesis for each of them and they are all pretty much the same, with the exception of the A*, which I reckon is a bit unforgiving - and I would guess as being ever so slightly lower, accounting for people messing up an individual question.

Taking into account the actual papers, I remember the Prose paper being a bit easier and the Verse paper being a little bit harder. The thing is, since there are many different text options, this does not carry between them, so makes little difference. Nevertheless, Verse does normally seem to pose more of a challenge for people than Prose. Hence I'd say:
Prose: 69, 60, 49, 36
Verse: 67, 58, 48, 36

To conclude - all of the grade boundaries:A* A B C
Unseen Translation Prose & Verse (100): 85, 77, 70, 62
Prose Comprehension/Composition (50): 44, 40, 36, 32
A Level Latin Literature Prose paper(75): 69, 60, 49, 36
A Level Latin Literature Verse paper(75): 67, 58, 48, 36
TOTAL A LEVEL Latin (300): 265, 235, 203, 166

That's 88%, 78%, 68%, 55%
I hope that helps. I've predicted about 30 marks between grade boundary, which is equivalent to 10%. I guess we'll find out on results day! Good luck :smile:

P.s. all of the figures used here are raw marks: what you will get back on the day are UMS marks. They will probably attune to; 90%/80%/70%/60% or something like that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sure, I can have a guess. Literature was a LOT easier this year in terms of its contents. It completely depends on how harshly they mark, but I'm under the impression that they mark quite generously (this is all based on the specimen answers online: https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/471079-prose-literature-and-verse-literature.pdf )
I'd advise you to have a look at the above link first to consider how your responses measure in comparison to the ones given.
Having looked at this, I would say marking is generous and that high marks will be common. Thus, grade boundaries will be high.

Each literature paper is worth 75 marks, composed of: 28, 27, 20 for each of the three sections (A, B, C).

The 28/27 marks are composed mostly of easy marks which include simple comprehension questions, a couple 'trickier' historical questions (some candidates are caught out here), a 5-mark translation and then the hard 15 markers. The 15 markers are the make and break and while it is leniently marked, in my opinion, considering the online versions, many students will make mistakes in how they formulate and write down these answers.

The 20 marker is pretty simple and I would guess that the biggest issue for candidates is running out of time and hence not writing enough/in enough detail.

All that being said:
My guesses for A*/A/B/C grade boundaries for each part of the paper:
Simple comprehension qs/historical qs (15): 14, 12, 10, 8
5-mark translations (total 10 marks): 9, 7, 5, 4
15 markers (total 30 marks): 28, 24, 20, 14
20 marker: 18, 16, 13, 10
TOTAL (75) : 69, 59, 48, 36

Before I actually calculated these grade boundaries by each question, I put a hypothesis for each of them and they are all pretty much the same, with the exception of the A*, which I reckon is a bit unforgiving - and I would guess as being ever so slightly lower, accounting for people messing up an individual question.

Taking into account the actual papers, I remember the Prose paper being a bit easier and the Verse paper being a little bit harder. The thing is, since there are many different text options, this does not carry between them, so makes little difference. Nevertheless, Verse does normally seem to pose more of a challenge for people than Prose. Hence I'd say:
Prose: 69, 60, 49, 36
Verse: 67, 58, 48, 36

To conclude - all of the grade boundaries:A* A B C
Unseen Translation Prose & Verse (100): 85, 77, 70, 62
Prose Comprehension/Composition (50): 44, 40, 36, 32
A Level Latin Literature Prose paper(75): 69, 60, 49, 36
A Level Latin Literature Verse paper(75): 67, 58, 48, 36
TOTAL A LEVEL Latin (300): 265, 235, 203, 166

That's 88%, 78%, 68%, 55%
I hope that helps. I've predicted about 30 marks between grade boundary, which is equivalent to 10%. I guess we'll find out on results day! Good luck :smile:

P.s. all of the figures used here are raw marks: what you will get back on the day are UMS marks. They will probably attune to; 90%/80%/70%/60% or something like that.

Thank you :smile:. Really hoping to get at least the A I need for uni but still extremely nervous ahah :redface:! Good luck to you :smile:!
Thank you :smile:. Really hoping to get at least the A I need for uni but still extremely nervous ahah :redface:! Good luck to you :smile:!

Accordingly to a supposed leak of OCR grade boundaries, they are as follows:
A* A B C
Translation 83 71 62 52
comp 42 35 30 25
prose 60 50 42 34
Verse 62 52 44 37
TOTAL: 247, 208, 178, 148

(Obviously I have no idea if this is legit)
Which means they’re a lot lower than my predictions, which is good news. In particular I seem to have overestimated in Literature - my language predictions were ever so slightly too high... My prose literature prediction is ridiculously off.
these seem very achievable to me - good luck for tomorrow!
Accordingly to a supposed leak of OCR grade boundaries, they are as follows:
A* A B C
Translation 83 71 62 52
comp 42 35 30 25
prose 60 50 42 34
Verse 62 52 44 37
TOTAL: 247, 208, 178, 148

(Obviously I have no idea if this is legit)
Which means they’re a lot lower than my predictions, which is good news. In particular I seem to have overestimated in Literature - my language predictions were ever so slightly too high... My prose literature prediction is ridiculously off.
these seem very achievable to me - good luck for tomorrow!

These grade boundaries (if genuine) seem considerably lower than what I was expecting - do you think this means they have marked harshly?
These grade boundaries (if genuine) seem considerably lower than what I was expecting - do you think this means they have marked harshly?

Yeah definitely important to keep in mind that they may not be genuine. But I agree - they seem very low. Whether or not they have marked harshly, this seems to be a positive as it allows for silly mistakes and, well, lower grade boundaries are better than high ones.

Considering marking standard, I would use evidence from the English Lit OCR A level to suggest that’s they probably mark MORE harshly than in the online exemplars, but since the online exemplars were marked remarkably kindly, this isn’t an issue. Honestly, I’d suggest that they’re not marking THAT harshly. Grade boundaries are always lower in the first year of implementation because: 1) teachers and students alike don’t know much about the new exam spec and so students do worse on the exam and 2) new literature texts yields lower literature results - which is what we see in these boundaries.

Maybe im just thinking wishfully though - even so, considering how badly many people felt the first paper went, 83 might be quite high an A* for some...?

TLDR: yes they’re low, but probably not marked that harshly.

Quick Reply

Latest