The Student Room Group

I missed my English Lang paper 2 today because i overslept whilst cramming

What happens now? How do i get a grade for the paper and how do they calculate it - if possible?

Scroll to see replies

I know how it feels to have to cram the day before. Unfortunately I believe that if you miss a paper due to lack of sleep you are awarded no marks. However other papers that you have sat will still count towards your grade. If you don't achieve the grade you expected then resitting is always an option.
Original post by JordanClad
What happens now? How do i get a grade for the paper and how do they calculate it - if possible?

They don't calculate it because there's nothing to calculate. You'll get an X grade which means you didn't turn up, which gives you 0 for that paper. You have no special circumstances to justify why you didn't turn up, it's your fault you were trying to revise late last night. Your overall result will be decided from everything else you completed. You'll probably have to resit GCSE English.
Reply 3
To get into college i only need to pass one english i’m pretty sure so is it necessary i resit? I did pretty well in english lit, at least it seemed and thanks for the help
Reply 4
To get into college i only need to pass one english i’m pretty sure so is it necessary i resit? I did pretty well in english lit, at least it seemed and thanks for the help

You may need English Language, I've heard people not being accepted to college and needing to resit as they don' have language.
Reply 5
Ah okay, well i’ll ask at the next open day and i don’t mind resitting it

Even if the college doesn't mind whether you've passed language or literature (which is unusual as most sixth forms and colleges want language), you will need language for the future. 99%+ of all universities ask for language to be passed, a lot of employers also demand this and will not be happy with literature instead.
(edited 5 years ago)
WHat!? mate thb u could just end up with a U or 0 for the paper... but talk to ur teachers about it cos if its something to do with ur health then u could get a second chance, but idk if that will work.
Reply 8
Original post by Glassapple
Even if the college doesn't mind whether you've passed language or literature (which is unusual as most sixth forms and colleges want language), you will need language for the future. 99%+ of all universities ask for language to be passed, a lot of employers also demand this and will not be happy with literature instead.
Yeah i’ll just have to resit it, do you know when they are?
Reply 9
You won't get any marks for that paper. Sorry but you have a responsibility to ensure you turn up to the exam. Unless you applied for special consideration and HAVE A VALID REASON (which you don't), you'll be awarded 0.
Reply 10

yh but its the law that everyone in the country needs to pass maths and english language
Reply 11
Yeah i’ll just have to resit it, do you know when they are?

resits happen in november
Reply 12
Can you pass from one paper? Roughly how well do you have to do if you can?
Reply 13
Original post by bvfh
resits happen in november
ah that’s a while away but thanks
Can you pass from one paper? Roughly how well do you have to do if you can?

I reckon it's gonna be a necessary resit for you buddy.
You're literally going to need upwards of 95% to have a chance of getting a pass overall since you've got a big fat 0 for one paper.

Sorry mate but you're looking at a resit. And let that be a lesson to you about last minute cramming and not setting an alarm
Reply 16
Original post by Shiba_Inu
You're literally going to need upwards of 95% to have a chance of getting a pass overall since you've got a big fat 0 for one paper.

Sorry mate but you're looking at a resit. And let that be a lesson to you about last minute cramming and not setting an alarm

Yeah it seems so and i did set an alarm but i slept through it

What do you want to do past college?

Having to explain to University/ future employers why you don’t have English Language GCSE will likely work against you.
(edited 5 years ago)
you'll have to resit in november 2018 i believe also literature is useless not really used language is the onyl english that is needed and depending on what you wanna study you need atleast a 6 in english
loooooooooooooooool hahahahahah how the fk
youre defo gonna have to resit
but for real, over sleeping? literally the most difficult thing to do especially when you have an exam. props to you for somehow managing to do that

Quick Reply

Latest