The Student Room Group

Dealing with health anxiety

Hi guys, I’m 20 years old and I suffer with health anxiety. I’ve had anxiety now for about a year and all started from being in university and stuff. Recently I hlwas on a plane flying home for Summer and a man had a seizure. I panicked and thought I was going to have one for ages (never did) this has then escalated to thoughts of me now having a tumour in my Brain as I constantly feel lightheaded. Admittedly I’m not the most active person and have hadn’t. A lot of free time to myself. Really is all I think about and it’s wearing me down, checking for symptoms online 90% of which i don’t have and I convince myself I have a tumour. Don’t have headaches or seizures or feel nauseous just feel tired and lightheaded basically all day. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi guys, I’m 20 years old and I suffer with health anxiety. I’ve had anxiety now for about a year and all started from being in university and stuff. Recently I hlwas on a plane flying home for Summer and a man had a seizure. I panicked and thought I was going to have one for ages (never did) this has then escalated to thoughts of me now having a tumour in my Brain as I constantly feel lightheaded. Admittedly I’m not the most active person and have hadn’t. A lot of free time to myself. Really is all I think about and it’s wearing me down, checking for symptoms online 90% of which i don’t have and I convince myself I have a tumour. Don’t have headaches or seizures or feel nauseous just feel tired and lightheaded basically all day. Any advice?

Just go and get a brain scan. Thinking about it is not going to help you in any way.
Reply 2
I've suffered from health anxiety as well as other anxiety problems all my life. Your light-headedness is caused by your increase of anxiety over your health worries. Its also no wonder you feel more tired, constant worrying drains you both mentally and physically. I jump from a different health worry almost day to day and each time, my anxiety symptoms manifest into a symptom of whatever illness I am worried about which only increases my anxiety which makes the symptoms stronger which makes me more anxious and so on and on.

I would advise seeing a doctor. Not because you have some worrying illness but because if anxiety is left, it only grows and grows and spreads to other aspects of your life. They may offer you meds, counselling/therapy or self help. I chose the self help road for a while and had some success. The books and audio tapes of Dr Claire Weekes helped me with my anxiety disorders, including HA. I found them free online years ago and they are still what I turn to when I struggle.

There are many forums online such as NoMorePanic that deal with things like HA and its always good to talk to people who are in the same boat as you but be careful, seeking reassurance on sites like that by asking such things like "does this sound like a brain tumour?" is only going to fuel your anxiety. Just general chatting to people or asking for tips on how to manage your anxiety is fine though, sometimes even helpful :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Rum Ham
I've suffered from health anxiety as well as other anxiety problems all my life. Your light-headedness is caused by your increase of anxiety over your health worries. Its also no wonder you feel more tired, constant worrying drains you both mentally and physically. I jump from a different health worry almost day to day and each time, my anxiety symptoms manifest into a symptom of whatever illness I am worried about which only increases my anxiety which makes the symptoms stronger which makes me more anxious and so on and on.

I would advise seeing a doctor. Not because you have some worrying illness but because if anxiety is left, it only grows and grows and spreads to other aspects of your life. They may offer you meds, counselling/therapy or self help. I chose the self help road for a while and had some success. The books and audio tapes of Dr Claire Weekes helped me with my anxiety disorders, including HA. I found them free online years ago and they are still what I turn to when I struggle.

There are many forums online such as NoMorePanic that deal with things like HA and its always good to talk to people who are in the same boat as you but be careful, seeking reassurance on sites like that by asking such things like "does this sound like a brain tumour?" is only going to fuel your anxiety. Just general chatting to people or asking for tips on how to manage your anxiety is fine though, sometimes even helpful :smile:

Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest