The Student Room Group

Failing English Language GCSE

hey everyone,
hope you all did great in your exams so far.
as you all know, we have finished both exams for English language. most people doing my exam board's papers (edexcel)said that they were easy especially paper 2. well, i dont think mine went good. on paper one i have done all the questions in section a but not the creative writing, and in paper 2 i have done all the questions apart from questions 6 and 7b which worth 30 marks combined and have only done a small part in section b. because i was using a computer in the exam, all the spag marks will not be counted when marking my tests, meaning i will differently lose 16 marks from each paper just for spag. my questions are:
what do you think the grade boundaries will be for this exam
what will happen if i failed English language and literature (will i be accepted in sixth form if got all the requirements apart from English?)
i really need your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you should probably do better, hope this helped
It’s unlikely the grade boundaries are going to be really high this year because it being the second year of the English gcses, with regarding six form and collages it depends on what the requirements are and what you are taking, hope that’s helped
yo, what board are u doing?
Reply 4
Original post by ACEdaEXAM
yo, what board are u doing?

edexcel
We'll see about the grade boundries I know many people who left out Q5
if your school thinks you are a very good student they may make exceptions and let you in. talk a teacher who likes you .
Reply 7
Original post by marniepippa
We'll see about the grade boundries I know many people who left out Q5

question 5 worth only one mark
na2002 in edexcel its worth 40marks
Reply 9
Original post by lbower114477

i thought they meant question 5 in paper 2
to begin with, you're certainly not the only one to have found the exam hard. the subject matter was accessible (school, surfing) but the questions themselves were asking for the same structure and analysis as last year's english language paper.
last year, the grade boundaries were indeed low; this year, it really depends on how people responded to the questions, and if a lot of people did it well. as the second year of the new spec, and not the first, the board may be less lenient. however, if many people found it hard and some who didn't weren't necessarily giving the responses that edexcel wants, the grade boundaries could be brought down.

if you fail english language and literature, there is a chance that you'll be accepted into sixth form. depending on how close you were to passing, you may be allowed to study english language and literature alongside your sixth-form courses (i.e. a-level, btec, etc.). however, a pass in english literature gcse is not, to my knowledge, necessarily required or even important in the future - only a pass in language is, since it can be taken as an indicator of your command of the english language itself.
hence, if you fail english literature, you can but usually don't have to resit, while if you fail english language, resitting would definitely be worth considering.
note that if you want to resit english literature, you would have to wait till the following june, while you only have to wait till november to resit english language.

whatever happens, you have a second chance if you need it. don't worry about the exams that you've already done - they're just a checkpoint for your progress, and you'll have many more chances to prove yourself and your writing ability, whether it's in english language gcse or another subject. stay motivated, and best of luck for the rest of the exams!
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 11

thats paper 1, theyre talking aboout paper 2
aminmo2 its 40 marks in paper 2 aswell
na2002 in paper 2 the marks are
q1 4
q2 8
q3 12
q4 16
q5 40
Reply 14
thanks a lot. that was really helpful
Reply 15
q1 4
q2 8
q3 12
q4 16
q5 40

thats not right. there are 8 questions that worth 96 marks in total (edexcel)
na2002 oh I must've been doing a different exam board the
Reply 17
that is aqa

q1 4
q2 8
q3 12
q4 16
q5 40
Original post by na2002
hey everyone,
hope you all did great in your exams so far.
as you all know, we have finished both exams for English language. most people doing my exam board's papers (edexcel)said that they were easy especially paper 2. well, i dont think mine went good. on paper one i have done all the questions in section a but not the creative writing, and in paper 2 i have done all the questions apart from questions 6 and 7b which worth 30 marks combined and have only done a small part in section b. because i was using a computer in the exam, all the spag marks will not be counted when marking my tests, meaning i will differently lose 16 marks from each paper just for spag. my questions are:
what do you think the grade boundaries will be for this exam
what will happen if i failed English language and literature (will i be accepted in sixth form if got all the requirements apart from English?)
i really need your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

just resit mate
If you don’t get a 4 in them, you’ll need to do retakes, and I’m not sure all sixth forms do this, however if yours does and you get good grades in the subjects you want to take, I’m sure they’ll take you.

Quick Reply

Latest