The Student Room Group

Why do so many people hate maths?

Scroll to see replies

because i type the numbers incorrectly on the calculator
Because it is absolutely crap. I mean last year I aced all the past papers averaging 95% on them and I got a C grade on that actual paper. I mean maths just gets harder and harder and there is no stopping it. Other subjects normally dip between being hard and easy every year but maths is a different story in the past few years.
I do A level Maths BUT
MATHS IS MENTAL ABUSE TO MY BRAIN skkkkk
Original post by Ridinghigh95
May I ask what did u do at home to help you? I’ve had 12 years away from school. Hoping to study biology this year but need to pass my maths. I made a mess of second paper. I’ve come on loads since last year but I’m only just at grade 5. I watch videos but I’m trying to find ways to improve. When I see the paper I get so confused what I’m being asked . :frown: any help would be appreciated.

That's the thing, you have to practice loads or it won't work. Problem solving in maths is the way of maths being creative really so that's why watching videos is never going to work because you won't fully understand it and you won't even know if you have. You've got to practice loads, it won't all come naturally at the beginning, practice as much topics as possible, yes it is important to do the topic you're weak at but then you may not fully understand a topic so you may think you are but struggle in the exam. So when practicing make sure you are confident enough to be able to do almost every sort of question on it. For topics you don't understand try the method in the books and if you don't understand that or don't have it then try the method in videos, remember sometimes there are alternative methods so the method in one video may not be best for you.

In terms of practicing do past papers and the practice papers which are available and mark them and make sure you are able to do questions you got wrong but also practice topics from the questions you got wrong to become more confident.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by magicalodyssey
Because maths is so uncreative! With subject such as English the answer to a question can be explored by the individual, and will be answered differently depending on the person! A lot of people don't enjoy the logic involved in maths as theres only one right answer, and if you are unable to figure out the answer, then you're left embittered and confused :smile:

If you think maths has no creativity youre not the type of person who understands maths
Original post by inactive100

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't agree more
Original post by Divine Feminine
The past tense of teach is taught, not teached, my sweet German friend.

Yep, that is right without a doubt. Mistakes are made to learn. Don't know that we are friends? :biggrin:
Reply 67
It is taught initially in such a linear way that if you fall behind, you fall behind. And a lot of people lose interest early on and so as it ramps up their disinterest only grows.
For me, I'm doing maths A-level, don't get how half the stuff works but I enjoy solving the problems and figuring out answers :smile:
My opinion is that there are very few people that want to learn raw maths. Many see it as a means to an ends. My personal experience is with Engineering, engineering mathematics being a required module, it was taught VERY differently to any engineering based subject. This threw a lot of my classmates and is a widely hated subject. The recurring theme is 90% of what we where taught where deemed as useless or with such a niche use that it was better learning it in the context of the subject it was used in (for instance double integration within a beam analysis). Within maths it was also never taught with any context, in any other engineering subject you were taught the numeracy of the subject, alongside the need for such numeracy in industry. Maths appeared to just be numbers for the sake of numbers.

I imagine the trend is the same for other numerical subjects forced to learn raw mathematics.
Original post by Iahmed512
That's the thing, you have to practice loads or it won't work. Problem solving in maths is the way of maths being creative really so that's why watching videos is never going to work because you won't fully understand it and you won't even know if you have. You've got to practice loads, it won't all come naturally at the beginning, practice as much topics as possible, yes it is important to do the topic you're weak at but then you may not fully understand a topic so you may think you are but struggle in the exam. So when practicing make sure you are confident enough to be able to do almost every sort of question on it. For topics you don't understand try the method in the books and if you don't understand that or don't have it then try the method in videos, remember sometimes there are alternative methods so the method in one video may not be best for you.

In terms of practicing do past papers and the practice papers which are available and mark them and make sure you are able to do questions you got wrong but also practice topics from the questions you got wrong to become more confident.

Thank you so much for that reply. I guess I’ve realised too late that videos aren’t helping massively. Yes I feel now I understand loads of topics, but when I see a new question I don’t know what to do. I’m going to watch a video tomorrow and go through that topic in my maths book. Which stupidly I haven’t used once. I thought i had it , obviously not. I may be lucky to get grade 4 after messing paper 2 up. It was very tricky for me . But if I start now, it will give me a good shot at paper 3. And if I keep revising that way with going through new questions in my book if I take the equivalency test at least I have a bettter chance with passing that in July.

Many thanks for your reply. It’s a shame I didn’t realise until it was too late .

But also, old papers and mocks I have been sort of doing ok. But paper 2 was so tricky, I ended up getting simple questions wrong because my mind couldn’t process what it was asking me because I have been learning the same simple things online. I do have a tutor too, but I don’t think he realises how bad I am once I see new things.
Maths can be a very creative subject. Though there may only be one answer to a question, there can be an infinite number of ways of getting to that answer because each person thinks differently and in an entirely unique way.

In my opinion, maths is beautiful.
Original post by tomBch
It is taught initially in such a linear way that if you fall behind, you fall behind. (...)

So, linear is another word for having a dry lesson. Otherwise what is a better method to make mathematics more exciting?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Kallisto
So, linear is another word for having a try lesson. Otherwise what is a better method to make mathematics more exciting?

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by 'a try lesson'. In terms of making maths more exciting, idk too be honest but perhaps showing the applications of it more early on so people see that all the numbers aren't pointless or something. Making sure everyone actually gets it is the crucial part, obviously in reality this will never happen but hey thats the way the world works
Reply 73
It's often taught very poorly. Very often things are taught but not explained. Few teachers are willing to show the applications of algebra etc. In high school they only teach you how to pass the exams. Not everyone likes exams seemingly just for the sake of them.
because no one showed me how to make ice cream out of math.
or how to pick up girls with it.
because its so difficult
Original post by Ridinghigh95
Thank you so much for that reply. I guess I’ve realised too late that videos aren’t helping massively. Yes I feel now I understand loads of topics, but when I see a new question I don’t know what to do. I’m going to watch a video tomorrow and go through that topic in my maths book. Which stupidly I haven’t used once. I thought i had it , obviously not. I may be lucky to get grade 4 after messing paper 2 up. It was very tricky for me . But if I start now, it will give me a good shot at paper 3. And if I keep revising that way with going through new questions in my book if I take the equivalency test at least I have a bettter chance with passing that in July.

Many thanks for your reply. It’s a shame I didn’t realise until it was too late .

But also, old papers and mocks I have been sort of doing ok. But paper 2 was so tricky, I ended up getting simple questions wrong because my mind couldn’t process what it was asking me because I have been learning the same simple things online. I do have a tutor too, but I don’t think he realises how bad I am once I see new things.

You're probably over thinking it then and worrying too much, once you believe something is difficult it's going to be a lot more difficult. I used to find histograms difficult despite knowing the formula for them because I believed they were difficult so gave up or didn't try questions with them but then I gave it a go one time and now it is easy. That's a good plan. Don't worry you can still do it! Exactly that's the right mindset. Yeah no problem.

Good luck I hope you do well.
Because its a very repetitive subject. To learn a topic you have to do the same question 50 times with different numbers.

Its hard to see the practical uses of maths from the way school teaches it aswell
Reply 78
English is worse for me, nothing you do there is worthwhile and even the questions that ask for your own opinion I get wrong because they don't want my opinion they want me to work out someone else's opinion.
Original post by inactive100
Whenever I ask a group of people which subject they hate the most or find the hardest, about 80-90% of them will name maths (and then the second highest would be physics)

I was just wondering why people find it so difficult / so hard?

I personally enjoy maths and hate subjects like English because it's so wishy-washy (by that I mean maths is usually just right or wrong and it's very logical).

I get that some people just have their dislikes but the dislike of maths seems to be so much more prevalent than other subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

People hate maths because the subject constantly builds itself up on previous knowledge. Anything advance in maths stems from basic concepts we learnt as kids such a multiplications. Many kids mess around in their youth and dont pay attention or want to learn about maths but still manage to scrape by. When they get further into the subject they realise they dont have the foundations right and struggle to advance in maths due to their lack of understanding and its very hard to go back. This is where their hatred for maths comes from.

This is unlike other subjects which can be picked up on at pretty much any point. For example, with biology I can pick it up at A-Level standard without ever doing much biology in my life. I follow the spec and the concepts dont relate that much to one another.

FYI: Im an A* maths student and love maths, so maybe idk what im talking about.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending