The Student Room Group

Anyone interested in the Swedish general election in September?

Might be interesting to see who wins, the Sweden Democrats' success or failure could be a forecast for many European countries with far left wing governments with building conservative backlash.
Yes.
Reply 4
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

Okay then.... with the exception of Norway
Yes, but it looks like once again, the SocDems are going to come first, as they did in every election for over a century
Original post by Bluestar511
Yes, but it looks like once again, the SocDems are going to come first, as they did in every election for over a century

Do you think the same party winning every time is a good thing, healthy for democracy?

In Africa we call those kind of polities, "one party states."

If you want two reasons for the rise of the Sweden Democrats (which most everyone agrees is extraordinary in its rapidity, and from where they started) they would be these:

1. The mass influx of migrants from mostly Muslim countries, many (most?) of whom are not integrating and who are changing the culture of the country irrevocably.

2. The liberal consensus which has driven this policy, for many years, as you say, howling down any critics as Islamophobic and racist. The Soc Dems and their coalition allies.

If current policies are continued there are projections from a respected independent research organisation that one in three Swedes will be Muslim within a generation...

http://www.pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

That is the context of this election, although it will hardly be mentioned in the actual campaign.
Original post by generallee

In Africa we call those kind of polities, "one party states."

lol a one party state is not when you have multiple parties to vote for in elections but one party tends to win all the time. Or a certain set of ideas win all the time. That's just democracy.

A one party state is something like China. Where only a single party has the right to govern. No one is stopping you form an AFD type party in swedon and stanidn for elections (these parties exist and are winning in eastern europe).

And I suppose you think an actual fascistic one party state is good for democracy :rolleyes:
(edited 5 years ago)
lol a one party state is not when you have multiple parties to vote for in elections but one party tends to win all the time. Or a certain set of ideas win all the time. That's just democracy.

Sweden is definitely more democratic than African one party states. Those tend to split along tribal lines, with the largest (or sometimes the most aggressive) tribe gaining a majority and forming a government, that administration being led by a "strong man" who is corrupt, steals from the State and subverts the judiciary, the media etc.

Sweden isn't that. But my point was that in electing the same Party in election after election, and demonising dissent from the multicultural consensus it espouses, you have an unhealthy democracy. Especially in a system of Proportional Representation, with smaller parties gaining power incommensurate to their democratic mandate.

And that lack of health has produced short sighted and naive policies which means the country is essentially going down the plug hole in a western, progressive sense. Over the long term. Once a country is subject to a Muslim population of a certain size it assumes an Islamic political and social character. They don't need to form a majority to start to exert a decisive influence on policy. Either by forming their own political party, or making the established ones bend to their will.

As I said, one in three Muslims within a generation, Muslim majority this century. And that couldn't be less compatible with LGBT, Transgender friendly Sweden. This isn't exactly rocket science is it? It amazes me the denial the left and the liberal establishment are living in with respect to this issue. The same applies to this country, although the time scale is much longer than Sweden.

No one is stopping you form an AFD type party in swedon and stanidn for elections (these parties exist and are winning in eastern europe).

I am not Swedish, that stops me! And that party already exists, and is doing very well in the polls, it is called the Sweden Democrats, hence this thread?

And I suppose you think an actual fascistic one party state is good for democracy :rolleyes:

You suppose wrong. Of course I don't.
Reply 9
Why do i get the feeling you're from that ilk who call anything even an inch left of the BNP "extreme left wing" ?
Reply 10
Original post by Fourteen8eight

Think of all the timing of it. Wasn't that long after WW2 started that we began to see the borders open up to everyone.

Perhaps your sort shouldnt have started wwii in the first place then hmm?
Reply 11
Original post by Napp
Why do i get the feeling you're from that ilk who call anything even an inch left of the BNP "extreme left wing" ?

:clap2: wow 10/10, yeah you really got me there. Melt.
Reply 12
Aha, Sweden democrat emoji :flower2:
Reply 13
Original post by BeetleJews
:clap2: wow 10/10, yeah you really got me there. Melt.

Melt?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending