The Student Room Group

Too many people want to go to uni

I feel that too many are pressured into going to uni and it takes a lot of value away from getting a degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samok
I feel that too many are pressured into going to uni and it takes a lot of value away from getting a degree

Thank you for offering not to go to university.

What? You didn't mean that?

I see. You want other people not to go to university so that you can enjoy a larger graduate premium from your attending university.
Reply 2
Original post by nulli tertius
Thank you for offering not to go to university.

What? You didn't mean that?

I see. You want other people not to go to university so that you can enjoy a larger graduate premium from your attending university.

People who get low grades can still get into uni, clearly they're not academics yet are pressured into going. It should be how it was before, for the academics, rather than any old Joe who just wants to go for the fun
Original post by samok
People who get low grades can still get into uni, clearly they're not academics yet are pressured into going. It should be how it was before, for the academics, rather than any old Joe who just wants to go for the fun

You are hankering after an age that never existed. Although I agree with you that young people are pressurised into going to university, that is peer pressure as much as anything. There has probably never been an age where "fitting in with the crowd" has been so important to the young (and that includes 1914 and 1939). However, universities have always included the social butterflies and the hearties as well as scholars. Before WWII Oxbridge struggled to fill their places. Solely academic admission to universities is a product of the 1990s.
(edited 5 years ago)
Blame the sixth forms...

They make out the only option for young people is university. They conveniently don't mention the trades, the army, higher apprenticeships and other options. Also the concept of a useful degree is foreign to most people and is even seen as offensive.

The result? You have quite a few people graduating after 3 years to move back into their parents home struggling to find a McJob.
(edited 5 years ago)
I agree. I think I'd be financially better off if I DIDN'T go to uni tbh. If I did it again, I'd probably do it again, but I'd probably go to Europe where it's freeeeeeee despite not being financially better off. Really, for me, I can do a lot of courses on Udemy for so damn cheap, and it's based a lot on experience really here.

It's also gone full circle. We have too many uni graduates, so govt has had an oh **** moment, and realised we need more people in the trades. I mean there are people in trades, who now earn more than a lot of people in the professional services, and that too "up norf" because there's not as many as them.
Original post by samok

Meh. I had the choice. I was "academic" however I chose to go to an ex poly. I earn more than the national average "up norf" too.
Reply 7
Original post by samok

That is why employers single out the ones who went to a RG Uni and done a meaningful course and achieved a 2:1 at the end of it. That will significantly seperate the academic able students and the less able students...
Original post by samok

Don’t go to uni, then. That’s one less person you will have to worry about. Not many of my generation had the opportunity to go to university, so i took my chance now. I am 70 and just completed my degree.
Original post by STw67
That is why employers single out the ones who went to a RG Uni and done a meaningful course and achieved a 2:1 at the end of it. That will significantly seperate the academic able students and the less able students...

It really depends. Lots of large employers don't do this, because for a lot of large unis, a "meaningful course" isn't one done at a RG, but rather an ex poly, for a lot of roles. When I worked at a blue chip, most people there either didn't have a a degree, or had one from an ex poly. I wasn't unique here. A lot of my friends saw a similar pattern at other large companies.

If lots of places singled out RG unis across the board, then honestly they're reducing their talent pool in certain areas. In Cyber Security / Networks, the best candidates are typically the ones who went to ex polys, not RGs.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ayyy2
Blame the sixth forms...

They make out the only option for young people is university. They conveniently don't mention the trades, the army, higher apprenticeships and other options. Also the concept of a useful degree is foreign to most people and is even seen as offensive.

The result? You have quite a few people graduating after 3 years to move back into their parents home struggling to find a McJob.

lmao who wants to join the army when you can become a junior doctor or something even more valuable
Original post by Seamus123
Don’t go to uni, then. That’s one less person you will have to worry about. Not many of my generation had the opportunity to go to university, so i took my chance now. I am 70 and just completed my degree.

That's pretty decent! Though in fairness, it's become a bit of a "you need a masters degree for an entry level position" for certain jobs. If uni was purely about doing it for the love of the subject, and not essentially a necessity, I think people would be less bitter about it. Thankfully that tide is turning.
Original post by STw67

And then there are the people that argue that what uni you go to doesn't matter when it obviously does.

I think people who do those stupid BTECs in Drama, or a degree in Policy making or something should have to pay a premium at college and extra at university for such ridiculousness.

There's a reason why the top universities don't do things such as Gender Studies, it has no value.
Original post by The_Internet
That's pretty decent! Though in fairness, it's become a bit of a "you need a masters degree for an entry level position" for certain jobs. If uni was purely about doing it for the love of the subject, and not essentially a necessity, I think people would be less bitter about it. Thankfully that tide is turning.

I have a job to start in September (need a break in the Summer) - but I did want to do a Masters in my field of study, but am not able to get funding because of my age.
Original post by ohdearstudying
lmao who wants to join the army when you can become a junior doctor or something even more valuable

Joining the army is better than being unemployed at your parents house.

But to be a junior doctor you have to do medicine. I'd wager someone capable of medicine would never find themselves in a situation like that.
Reply 15
Original post by ohdearstudying
And then there are the people that argue that what uni you go to doesn't matter when it obviously does.

I think people who do those stupid BTECs in Drama, or a degree in Policy making or something should have to pay a premium at college and extra at university for such ridiculousness.

There's a reason why the top universities don't do things such as Gender Studies, it has no value.
I would always advise anyone, if you dont get into a RG Uni dont bother with university. Their maybe one or two universities outside of it who are rated well, but the RG Marketing has been superb. My second advise would be if you do get into a RG Uni, if you are not doing a STEM Course, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Economics please do not bother.
Original post by The_Internet
It really depends. Lots of large employers don't do this, because for a lot of large unis, a "meaningful course" isn't one done at a RG, but rather an ex poly, for a lot of roles. When I worked at a blue chip, most people there either didn't have a a degree, or had one from an ex poly. I wasn't unique here. A lot of my friends saw a similar pattern at other large companies.

If lots of places singled out RG unis across the board, then honestly they're reducing their talent pool in certain areas. In Cyber Security / Networks, the best candidates are typically the ones who went to ex polys, not RGs.

what are ex polys?
Yup. I didn't even go to uni. Now I own a multi-million-pound company (internet based company btw). Honestly, if you think that you're not going to benefit from going to university, then don't force yourself!

You really don't need to go to uni in order to succeed in life. Complete lie!
Original post by ayyy2
Joining the army is better than being unemployed at your parents house.

But to be a junior doctor you have to do medicine. I'd wager someone capable of medicine would never find themselves in a situation like that.

joining the army is what people with no GCSEs do a lot of the time.

the people i know who are actually stupid that are in the army is SCARY.

like this is the engineering part or something
Original post by STw67
I would always advise anyone, if you dont get into a RG Uni dont bother with university. Their maybe one or two universities outside of it who are rated well, but the RG Marketing has been superb. My second advise would be if you do get into a RG Uni, if you are not doing a STEM Course, Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Economics please do not bother.

You know that big post about "Does the university you go to matter", I said that and the AMOUNT OF hate I got was unreal.

My personal belief is outside of the top 25, but I guess Russell Group and Top 25 go hand in hand.

Personally, I know that my GCSEs are not going to be TSR thread worthy due to my situation. But I am setting myself the challenge of A*A*A at A Level.

I think i will apply for Durham, LSE, KCL, UCL and Cambridge. If i don't get into any of them I will probably do a higher apprentiship (the 6 year law one).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending