The Student Room Group

A Level AQA English Literature B 7717 Elements of Political & Social Protest Writing

Poll

Which texts are you studying?

Dates
A Level: 12th June 2018 (afternoon)

Texts
The Handmaid’s Tale
Songs of Innocence and of Experience
Harvest
Hard Times
Tony Harrison Poems
The Kite Runner
A Doll’s House
Henry IV Part I

This thread can be used for just A Level exams. The biggest difference is in the exam layout and amount of questions.:smile:

Please use the poll to select which topic you're doing, if you click here you can see who else is studying the same topic as you, @tag them in the thread and get chatting and sharing ideas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 04MR17
Dates
A Level: 12th June 2018 (afternoon)

Texts
The Handmaid’s Tale
Songs of Innocence and of Experience
Harvest
Hard Times
Tony Harrison Poems
The Kite Runner
A Doll’s House
Henry IV Part I

This thread can be used for just A Level exams. The biggest difference is in the exam layout and amount of questions.:smile:

Please use the poll to select which topic you're doing, if you click here you can see who else is studying the same topic as you, @tag them in the thread and get chatting and sharing ideas.

Useful resources and exempler responses would be great, to help write essays
HI! I am studying Blake, Atwood and Hosseni. I was wondering if anyone has any predictions for the upcoming paper. And any advice?
Original post by StephIvens0106
HI! I am studying Blake, Atwood and Hosseni. I was wondering if anyone has any predictions for the upcoming paper. And any advice?

Hi! I have that paper coming up too. I have absolutly no idea what could come up, but last year's paper didn't seem too difficult, but I think they may make it harder this year... really hoping for a question on women for TKR and THT but no idea what could come up for Blake...:frown: how do you feel about the exam?
Original post by bethancrawley
Hi! I have that paper coming up too. I have absolutly no idea what could come up, but last year's paper didn't seem too difficult, but I think they may make it harder this year... really hoping for a question on women for TKR and THT but no idea what could come up for Blake...:frown: how do you feel about the exam?

To be honest. I'm alright with it. My teacher has taught be to compare handmaid's and Blake and do the kite runner on its own for section b. So I am trying to figure out how THT links with themes of blake. I'm doing mini plans of quotes etc hoping a simular question comes up.
How did you guys find the paper today, I thought it went quite well. My class and I were just thankful that the unseen was not poetry! I do Blake for the individual (which I loved, repressive parents on children) and do handmaid's tale and kite runner for t'other, I did the 'contrasting worlds' question, which I hope that I wrote enough for. How did you guys find it?

No more English!
Original post by goingslightlymad
How did you guys find the paper today, I thought it went quite well. My class and I were just thankful that the unseen was not poetry! I do Blake for the individual (which I loved, repressive parents on children) and do handmaid's tale and kite runner for t'other, I did the 'contrasting worlds' question, which I hope that I wrote enough for. How did you guys find it?

No more English!

I did the same as you! The Blake question was AMAZING and I quite liked the contrasting worlds one too. The unseen was a bit meh but I think I wrote enough
I did Blake, The Kite Runner and A Doll's House. I thought the unseen wasn't great, for a start I couldn't really make head nor tail of it but I tried my best, I left it to the end cause I already had all the social and political protest stuff for the others in my head. I didn't really like the Blake question, I had more prepared a general 'Isn't Blake great?' type of thing and I found the parents being oppressive question to really limit the poems you could use. I did 'The Chimney Sweeper' and 'A Little Girl Lost' for the statement and 'The Echoing Green' against which seemed to work out fine. The section C however I found absolutely fantastic, contrasting worlds? That's all S&P protest is! So I was able to get a ton in for that. Timing for me wasn't too bad, probably should have spent longer on the unseen to I could actually make sense of the whole thing instead of picking out random bits to tie into the question. That 3 hours was a long slog tho, glad to get it over with. Not a bad paper but I definitely greatly preferred tragedy, I'm just better at it generally. 7/10
Hey guys hope you all did well. Did anyone here do the Handmaids Tale or Blake for question C? If so, how did you approach it ???:s
Reply 9
Does anyone remember the questions for Doll's House or Kite runner?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending