The Student Room Group

A-Level AQA History (Component 2O- Germany) Exam (13/06/2018)

Starting this thread to discuss the upcoming exam. How is everyone finding the revision for this in-depth component? Does anyone have any resources that could be useful? Any advice for the source/knowledge questions?

Scroll to see replies

Cheers bap.

Loving revising this topic, I find 2O really nice to revise(compared to my other topic Tudors)
Reply 2
Original post by Blancosdos
Cheers bap.

Loving revising this topic, I find 2O really nice to revise(compared to my other topic Tudors)

I really like the politics/economics depth- policies, elections etc too because I find it very interesting. However, it’s just revising and remembering the specific details. I do prefer A2 chapters though but AS is good too. I haven’t actually spoken to anyone doing 2O, mainly people do Tudors like I do for breadth but everyone seems to have a different depth topic!!

What revision techniques work for you and do you have any tips for the essays e.g. technique etc?
Original post by vik_k1
I really like the politics/economics depth- policies, elections etc too because I find it very interesting. However, it’s just revising and remembering the specific details. I do prefer A2 chapters though but AS is good too. I haven’t actually spoken to anyone doing 2O, mainly people do Tudors like I do for breadth but everyone seems to have a different depth topic!!

What revision techniques work for you and do you have any tips for the essays e.g. technique etc?

I do Tudors to, and uh I use flashcards for one to recall the dates etc.I read the book mainly too, I like the layout of the book my school gave me. My exam technique, why I do English too, hence why I have a good exam technique imho (sorry idk how to describe this)
Any one got any predictions for what might come up on the AS exam for AQA Germany (2O)??
Reply 5
Original post by LifeIsSoHard
Any one got any predictions for what might come up on the AS exam for AQA Germany (2O)??

Second this, I feel so unprepared for this exam it's actually ridiculous. I missed a huge chunk of this topic in class because of personal issues, for me some of the topics won't even be revision, but learning :angry: so I'm trying to learn smart. Does anyone know last years topics?

I am too doing Tudors.
Reply 6
Original post by LifeIsSoHard

To be honest, I’d advise you revising everything and obviously focussing mainly on areas that you don’t feel comfortable in. They tend to have questions from across the period- I’m doing A2 hence it will be from 1918 to 1945 and for AS it’ll be 1918-33. So, it is likely that with AS, because it’s relatively shorter in terms of what they could ask, there’ll be questions on early years, golden age and collapse of democracy. One of these topics will be for sources and other two will feature in the knowledge essays. Then you just choose the two most comfortable questions for you (the 25 mark ones). I believe it’s second year of the new spec so obviously will be difficult to pick out patterns from previous paper on what they’ll ask.

Hope this helps.
Reply 7
Original post by Saf5238
Second this, I feel so unprepared for this exam it's actually ridiculous. I missed a huge chunk of this topic in class because of personal issues, for me some of the topics won't even be revision, but learning :angry: so I'm trying to learn smart. Does anyone know last years topics?

I am too doing Tudors.

On AQA’s website, they have got last years A2 and AS papers on the past papers section with mark schemes and commentary. So that should help with seeing the style of questions and obviously what came up last year.

In terms of missing content, make sure you have an understanding of the context and have a sound understanding of each sub-Period e.g. golden age. Obviously, having specific information like dates and policies will help to make the Essay more sophisticated but it’s important to understand the nature before you go in depth, does that make sense? I’d advise making revision cards for each topic and maybe outline key points- that way you can break down the topic easily and then do targeted revision.
Original post by vik_k1
On AQA’s website, they have got last years A2 and AS papers on the past papers section with mark schemes and commentary. So that should help with seeing the style of questions and obviously what came up last year.

In terms of missing content, make sure you have an understanding of the context and have a sound understanding of each sub-Period e.g. golden age. Obviously, having specific information like dates and policies will help to make the Essay more sophisticated but it’s important to understand the nature before you go in depth, does that make sense? I’d advise making revision cards for each topic and maybe outline key points- that way you can break down the topic easily and then do targeted revision.

Good advice but the dates are required in terms of depth(for eg the actual dates, such as 28th june TOV). The years are the most important aspects. Just wanted to add this.
Reply 9
No one is talking about this! How did everyone find the exam?
Reply 10
Original post by remy72
No one is talking about this! How did everyone find the exam?

The exam is next Wednesday...
Reply 11
Original post by vik_k1
The exam is next Wednesday...

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing here, I literally had a Germany exam from AQA today 1871-1990.
Reply 12
Original post by remy72
Maybe I'm looking at the wrong thing here, I literally had a Germany exam from AQA today 1871-1990.

Oh I see, that’s the breadth paper. This thread is for the depth paper on Germany (2O).
Does anyone have any predictions for this years A level paper?? I know political instability 1919-1923, economy and politics under Stresemann, Hitler's policies towards the Jews 1938-1945 and opposition to the Nazi Regime all came up on last year's paper but I don't know what came up on this year's AS paper
can anyone recommend a good structure forthe sources question becuase i dont understand how to PACT all 3 sources and my teacher isnt very helpful :frown:
can i just do it source by source? and doo you have to say wwhy it isnt valuable?
Reply 15
Original post by 1999girl
can anyone recommend a good structure forthe sources question becuase i dont understand how to PACT all 3 sources and my teacher isnt very helpful :frown:
can i just do it source by source? and doo you have to say wwhy it isnt valuable?

You can structure it out source by source as I believe you don’t have to cross reference the sources but rather comment individually on their validity. Therefore, your evaluation will be essential. You will need to take into account the provenance, tone and content and I’d say 1 paragraph on why it’s valuable and 1 on not valuable each for 3 sources.
Original post by vik_k1
You can structure it out source by source as I believe you don’t have to cross reference the sources but rather comment individually on their validity. Therefore, your evaluation will be essential. You will need to take into account the provenance, tone and content and I’d say 1 paragraph on why it’s valuable and 1 on not valuable each for 3 sources.

so is this a structure to follow;
prov for source one
then another para for context/content
then another for tone, and putting the argument of why it is valuable and why it isnt valuable(can i put this into the same para?)

then repeat for other sources
Reply 17
Original post by 1999girl
so is this a structure to follow;
prov for source one
then another para for context/content
then another for tone, and putting the argument of why it is valuable and why it isnt valuable(can i put this into the same para?)

then repeat for other sources

I’d say have 1 paragraph purely on content- what is stated in the source that makes it valuable/not valuable. Then another paragraph that includes both provenance and tone. Within these two paragraphs, make sure you evaluate. So, paragraph 1 have about why it’s valuable and explain and then counter it saying it’s contradicted because...etc etc. Then same for provenance.

There is no set structure- you could even have provenance and tone mixed in with a paragraph- 1 paragraph on valuable and include content, provenance and tone. Then repeat for not valuable.
Reply 18
Anyone got any answers to questions or revision materials i.e. Notes or cards?
Reply 19
Could you send anything?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending