The Student Room Group

AQA A-level history 2N (Revolution and dictatorship: Russia 1917-1953) 13/06/18

Hey! Created this discussion for people who are doing this option next week!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone got any predictions? Something on terror possibly?
Reply 2
Original post by J500
Anyone got any predictions? Something on terror possibly?

Obviously we can expect anything, but I would say that the terror is likely to come up, because it didn't last year and it's such a big topic.
I think that maybe WW2 is likely to come up as well?
Obviously this is not certain, but my speculations revolve around these topics so far.
Reply 3
I also think that the civil war may come up.
Reply 4
Yeah the examiners report said that people did badly on society and culture last year, so expect that type of thing to come up. eg: terror, high Stalinism, social impact of the great economic changes of the 1930s, etc.
Reply 5
any got any idea what sources might be? they were so specific last year I am ******** it
Reply 6
I've been revising social changes and terror so much - I really hope that comes up but I have a feeling society won't because it was on last years and the spec paper. I'm pretty sure the Civil War is gonna (which I am not good at so I hope not lmao), probably either 1 or both of the 1917 revolutions and I'm hoping for foreign policy or The Great Patriotic War as well.
Reply 7
Original post by jdjz
any got any idea what sources might be? they were so specific last year I am ******** it

Yeah, that really worries me actually because they were incredibly specific. I really have no idea, but hopefully something broader.
Reply 8
Collectivisation has never come up I'm pretty sure so that could be a possibility
My russia teacher was awful, I feel like I know nothing. I have in depth notes thanks to my own dedication but I still feel really unprepreared, any tips, help, anything in general because I litterly feel screwed
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by rebebeb
My russia teacher was awful, I feel like I know nothing. I have in depth notes thanks to my own dedication but I still feel really unprepreared, any times, help, anythig in general because I litterly feel screwed

Do you have the textbook? My best advice is to go through it and summarise it. I have managed to get it all on 18 sides - both posters and mind maps. Then, for specific knowledge like dates and statistics, I make quizlets which are super useful.

The day of the exam or the night before, go through the textbook and/or past papers and make mini plans for all of the essays just to check whether you'd be able to answer everything that could come up. If you feel less sure, maybe do this a little earlier so you have time to learn stuff if you realise you wouldn't be able to answer it.

These are the headings I have put everything in if this helps as a starting point:

Before the February Revolution

Dual Power

The November Revolution

Bolshevik Consolidation

The Civil War

Economic & Social Developments (State Capitalism, War Communism & The NEP)

Foreign Policy up until 1924

The Power Struggle

The Great Turn (Collectivisation and the first three five year plans)

Stalin's Government

Living Conditions under Stalin

Culture, Religion & The Stalinist Cult (including society ie. church & young people)

State Terror

International Relations until 1941

The Great Patriotic War & its Consequences

High Stalinism

International Position & Conflict with the West

Stalin's Death and Legacy

Hope this helps X
Original post by lowza
Do you have the textbook? My best advice is to go through it and summarise it. I have managed to get it all on 18 sides - both posters and mind maps. Then, for specific knowledge like dates and statistics, I make quizlets which are super useful.

The day of the exam or the night before, go through the textbook and/or past papers and make mini plans for all of the essays just to check whether you'd be able to answer everything that could come up. If you feel less sure, maybe do this a little earlier so you have time to learn stuff if you realise you wouldn't be able to answer it.

These are the headings I have put everything in if this helps as a starting point:

Dual Power

The November Revolution

Bolshevik Consolidation

The Civil War

The Power Struggle

Stalin's Government

Culture, Religion & The Stalinist Cult (including society ie. church & young people)

State Terror

High Stalinism

Hope this helps X

Thank you so much, I have very detailed notes from several textbooks, essay plans and a timeline of every event but I just feel due to the poor quality of teaching (I litterally wasn't taught about the final part of Russia because it came up last year) that I'm behind/ at a disadvantage, this has put it all into a better perspective and order so thank you!
Reply 12
Original post by lowza

Dual Power

The November Revolution

Bolshevik Consolidation

The Civil War

The Power Struggle

Stalin's Government

State Terror

High Stalinism

Hope this helps X

Hey could you send me those quizlets? would be pretty useful
Reply 13
Original post by jdjz
Hey could you send me those quizlets? would be pretty useful

Yeah sure - I've still got one more to do so I'll post the link tomorrow.
Reply 14
Original post by lowza
Yeah sure - I've still got one more to do so I'll post the link tomorrow.

Yo wheres it at :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by jdjz
Yo wheres it at :colondollar:

https://quizlet.com/lowri_spear/folders/history-russia

you're welcome - this is my whole folder. the ones that are mine have my username (lowri_spear) on them:smile:

i hope they're helpful
Reply 16
Has anyone got any tips for the source question? my teachers is rubbish so I dont't fully understand what we need to include/how to structure my answers
Reply 17
Original post by lowza
Yeah, that really worries me actually because they were incredibly specific. I really have no idea, but hopefully something broader.

does anyone think an economy question like last years will come up?? a comparison ??
Reply 18
Original post by yashx
does anyone think an economy question like last years will come up?? a comparison ??

I'm not sure how a comparison economy one will come up, apart from war communism and collectivisation? But that doesn't really work. More likely for a comparison is terror under Lenin to terror under Stalin I reckon.
Reply 19
How did people find it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending