The Student Room Group

Islam, Evolution and The Big Bang Theory

Does anyone have any proof where the theory of Evolution and the Big Bang directly contradicts with Islam? I'm not hating, just trying to figure out something for myself.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 020804
Does anyone have any proof where the theory of Evolution and the Big Bang directly contradicts with Islam? I'm not hating, just trying to figure out something for myself.

the big bang doesn't contradict islam, not sure about evolution. The big bang is explained briefly in the quran.
[video="youtube;q_uOwT-H8w4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uOwT-H8w4[/video]
Reply 3
Original post by Fazzy_77
[video="youtube;q_uOwT-H8w4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_uOwT-H8w4[/video]

Thank you very much for the video, I'll watch it right now!

I'm also interested in hearing in an atheist's opinion. I know this thread is mostly directed to Muslims, but if you are a non-Muslim, do you think Islam cannot be true due to it supposedly going against common scientific fact?
Original post by 020804
Thank you very much for the video, I'll watch it right now!

I'm also interested in hearing in an atheist's opinion. I know this thread is mostly directed to Muslims, but if you are a non-Muslim, do you think Islam cannot be true due to it supposedly going against common scientific fact?

I'm a Muslim :tongue:
btw, the man in the video is a revert to islam. he used to be an atheist.
let me know what you think about the video.

Spoiler

Here's a video about scientific facts in the quran if you're interested.

[video="youtube;ypXqqdPrYQQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXqqdPrYQQ[/video]
Reply 6
Original post by Fazzy_77
I'm a Muslim :tongue:
btw, the man in the video is a revert to islam. he used to be an atheist.
let me know what you think about the video.

Spoiler

The video was interesting, thank you for sending it to me, but it had some inconsistencies when the lecturer was explaining evolution.

Can all parts of evolution be accepted in Islam's eyes? The notion that life originated from a primordial watery mess as basic cells, to all animals alive today being related to a single common ancestor, including humans - can all this be accepted as truth from a person, and that person be a Muslim still?
Reply 7
Original post by 020804
The video was interesting, thank you for sending it to me, but it had some inconsistencies when the lecturer was explaining evolution.

Can all parts of evolution be accepted in Islam's eyes? The notion that life originated from a primordial watery mess as basic cells, to all animals alive today being related to a single common ancestor, including humans - can all this be accepted as truth from a person, and that person be a Muslim still?

Well the guy in the video did say life came from water and so evolution did happen. But saying, humans, evolved from monkies as from what he says is wrong.
Original post by 020804

You're a Muslim if you believe in Allah and his Messenger (peace be upon him) to be the truth. This also means believing in Allah's revelation(s) which is the Qur'an, Torah, Gospel and Zaboor.

If there is something that contradicts what the Qur'an says and you opt to believe in that which contradicts, then I believe it will take one out of the fold of Islam.
I’m a bit confused as to why anyone thinks that Islam evolution and the Big Bang can work together.

Islam is an Abrahamic faith and forgive me if I’m wrong but Islam still has the same origin story as Christianity. The story of genesis is pretty much the same in Islam.
God created man. God didn’t create a primordial slip that turnt into man.
Original post by Rhodesian
I’m a bit confused as to why anyone thinks that Islam evolution and the Big Bang can work together.

Islam is an Abrahamic faith and forgive me if I’m wrong but Islam still has the same origin story as Christianity. The story of genesis is pretty much the same in Islam.

Islam has a different story according to how the world started, but how humans came to be is pretty similar. In islam, the heavens and the stars and the planets were all together and then separated. That sounds similar to big bang and why muslims believe it.

Islam is an Abrahamic faith, but it is drastically different from the other faiths in terms of history and story of origin/creation.

I believe you'll find in the Qur'an that it describes the universe expanding from a point of singularity - an essential concept of the Big Bang theory.

Regarding evolution, I believe the Qur'an disagrees with Darwinian evolution rightfully so as there are many academic problems with Darwinian evolution.

However, evolution being gradual change (of features etc), the video explains it well that the narrative of the Quran does not pose any disagreement with this but rather it supports it.
Original post by ibyghee
Islam has a different story according to how the world started, but how humans came to be is pretty similar. In islam, the heavens and the stars and the planets were all together and then separated. That sounds similar to big bang and why muslims believe it.

What about the story of Adam and Eve?
Islam has that as well doesn’t it?
Doesn’t that go against ideas of evolution
Natural Selection is fact. Speciation, where one species evolve into something completely different, is not (actually no real evidence)

Universe expansion:
“And the heaven We created with might, and indeed We are (its) expander.” (Quran 51:47)

Big Bang:
“Have those who disbelieved not considered that the heavens and the earth were a joined entity, then We clove them asunder, and made from water every living thing? Then will they not believe?” (Quran 21:30)
Original post by Perfection Ace
I believe you'll find in the Qur'an that it describes the universe expanding from a point of singularity - an essential concept of the Big Bang theory.

Regarding evolution, I believe the Qur'an disagrees with Darwinian evolution rightfully so as there are many academic problems with Darwinian evolution.

However, evolution being gradual change (of features etc), the video explains it well that the narrative of the Quran does not pose any disagreement with this but rather it supports it.

Darwinian evolution has more proof then the Big Bang. And the bing bang does also have a lot of problems.

Evolution can be seen through genetics and fossils and it just makes sense tbh.
Darwinian evolution has more proof then the Big Bang. And the bing bang does also have a lot of problems.

Can you let me know of any proofs for Darwinian evolution? Wouldn't you agree it is has multiple assumptions which can be challenged?
:beard:

Muslims support big bang but not evolution to its fullest. And since when was the evolution more supported the big bang? the big bang is supported by maths. And believe me...you can't f**k with maths. Evolution has come about from the evidence we've collected and is a theory. Yes big bang is also a theory but it's also a theorem. Theorems are generally more supported and logistical then theories.
Reply 19

Evolution, in terms of what I've learnt in school, does makes sense - which is why I am conflicted.

Original post by Perfection Ace

Could you show me some sources or list out some academic problems with Darwinian evolution? I think it would help me a lot to know more from both sides of the story.

Quick Reply