The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Philosophy and ethics

So I just did the religion exam on Tuesday, I did buddhism and it was pretty nice exam, the questions they gave were pretty good. However I’m slightly now freaking out with philosophy because there is so much content and so much to learn and so many different scholars, does anyone else feel the same? Also if you guys have any advice and tips help me out!!! Also, if you are doing the exam on Monday 11th June for philosophy if you have any like guesses that we should focus on more etc let me know!!! Thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Honestly there is far too much content to learn. I was thinking of only focusing on specific topics for philosophy but it is too risky especially considering the fact that on this years AS paper they repeated questions from last year. But I would recommend to revise Augustine’s theodicy;
Thank you! I appreciate it a lot, but yeah, I also think it’s wayyyyyy toooo much, I’m focusing on theme 4 a lot more with the religious language which oh my is it long. I’ve been focusing on theme 2 currently with Freud’s work which I think could be a chance of coming up. However I’m honestly worried :biggrin:
Reply 3
Freud did come up in the specimen but I would obviously still revise it. Religious language is a good theme. I hope language games or verification/falsification principle come up.
Oh really, wait so could you help me out, what has come up on the specimen? Cause like my teacher is kinda **** she isn’t meant for our subject, she is a sociology teacher so I’m more or less doing it on my own. And yeah religious language is a really good topic as there is so much you can talk about, theme 1 would be like heaven
Original post by tanveerdhami
So I just did the religion exam on Tuesday, I did buddhism and it was pretty nice exam, the questions they gave were pretty good. However I’m slightly now freaking out with philosophy because there is so much content and so much to learn and so many different scholars, does anyone else feel the same? Also if you guys have any advice and tips help me out!!! Also, if you are doing the exam on Monday 11th June for philosophy if you have any like guesses that we should focus on more etc let me know!!! Thank you

What are your predictions??? I’m freaking out about this one because I really don’t know it enough!! I don’t think that cosmological, teleological or ontological will come up though. Maybe religious experience/ miracles? I pray it’s Freud/Jung. Also is there any chance you could explain religious language to me in brief cause I’ve no idea
Hey! I’m the same, honestly I’m scared as hell. I personally think it’ll be more based on AS
My teacher before she left said to def look over Augustine and Irenean theodicy. Religious language, the whole of theme 4 is a defo! Because it’s a whole theme and all of A2 I’m sure they’ll give us a question.
I think evil and suffering, religious language hopefully verification and falsification from that!
Miracles
And if they are nice a question about teleological but like maybe a compare between two scholars e.g Tennant and Paley or Aquinas and Paley etc and the part b maybe to do with science???

There is so much content and I’m also scared so you aren’t alone!
Reply 7
Hey - I did Christianity on Tuesday and it was a decent exam, a lot of emphasis on theme 4 which I really didn't like. For the philosophy exam on Monday I have a feeling Freud would come up - and remember to cover religious language, its such a huge topic to not come up! I highly doubt teleological/cosmological/ontological would come up, I know teleological and cosmological came up in last year and this year AS exam! & knowing WJEC they would throw in difficult questions because they LOVE doing that. I'm really scared too - depending on the questions the paper can go really good or really bad...
(edited 5 years ago)
I’m slightly worried and kinda of panicking because there is just so much to learn and so many arguments!
I really hope verification and falsification comes up in religious language
The language game is also really good
But I’m scared about atheism, Jung, and religious miracles 😭
Reply 9
Theme 1 is guaranteed to come up. So ontological/Telelogical/cosmological will come up. There must likely will only be one question though. E.g if it comes up in part B there will only be a question on one of the topics of theme 1. For part A though they could mix it up and ask one question on Cosmological or Telelogical and ontological for the other. Or they could ask both cosmological or both the other two. So it is scary. Considering that on both the AS papers and two specimen papers, Theme 1 has come up for Part A it shouldn’t really come up hopefully. I am predicting theme 2 or 3 to come as part A. There will probably be one question from AS and other from A2 to give a fair chance you would think but you never know.
Hey - what makes you so sure theme 1 will come up. I was thinking that too, but they’ve repeated it several times before and it’s AS content, surely as it’s the first A level paper it will be more heavily weighted on A2 just like the Religon paper?
Original post by ibte10
Theme 1 is guaranteed to come up. So ontological/Telelogical/cosmological will come up. There must likely will only be one question though. E.g if it comes up in part B there will only be a question on one of the topics of theme 1. For part A though they could mix it up and ask one question on Cosmological or Telelogical and ontological for the other. Or they could ask both cosmological or both the other two. So it is scary. Considering that on both the AS papers and two specimen papers, Theme 1 has come up for Part A it shouldn’t really come up hopefully. I am predicting theme 2 or 3 to come as part A. There will probably be one question from AS and other from A2 to give a fair chance you would think but you never know.

Why is theme 1 guaranteed to come up??
Please can someone teach me the Augustinian and Irenaean theodicies please!!!
Original post by alicewxnderland
Please can someone teach me the Augustinian and Irenaean theodicies please!!!

Hey, if you search it on YouTube there is someone who explains each within 6 minutes with challenges too! I say check it out
Hey, if you search it on YouTube there is someone who explains each within 6 minutes with challenges too! I say check it out

Thank you!!!
What are your predictions??? I’m freaking out about this one because I really don’t know it enough!! I don’t think that cosmological, teleological or ontological will come up though. Maybe religious experience/ miracles? I pray it’s Freud/Jung. Also is there any chance you could explain religious language to me in brief cause I’ve no idea

also sorry I didn’t see the last bit about inherent problem

Look at it like this

Verification - empirical evidence as proof
Logical positivist follow this and believe religious Lang is meaningless
A.J Ayer is also a postitivist but created 2 meanings of verification principle. He also uses the evidence of evil and suffering to go against God, as well as, he uses the idea that so many people follow god and Calls it the death of a thousand qualifications
Strong and weak
Strong; able to use empirical evidence and see it clearly
Weak; just made with observations

Falsification-
Anthony Flew who talks about religious people are unable to take evidence against their beliefs
Karl Popper- uses science to explain how it’s meaningless e.g evidence etc

Criticism to falfisicationn
Sory am rushing LOOL
Hare- uses bliks theory
Mitchellacc people can handle criticisms to their belief but evidence of it is not significant enough
Swinburne- toys in the cupboard theory- we use meaningful Lang which isn’t necessary verified or falsified

Criticisms to verif
David Hume - eschatological principle- we won’t know if it’s true or not until we die e.g if there really is a heaven

Verification principle contradicts itself

Was that any help?
Yes it was thank u v much!!
also sorry I didn’t see the last bit about inherent problem

Look at it like this

Verification - empirical evidence as proof
Logical positivist follow this and believe religious Lang is meaningless
A.J Ayer is also a postitivist but created 2 meanings of verification principle. He also uses the evidence of evil and suffering to go against God, as well as, he uses the idea that so many people follow god and Calls it the death of a thousand qualifications
Strong and weak
Strong; able to use empirical evidence and see it clearly
Weak; just made with observations

Falsification-
Anthony Flew who talks about religious people are unable to take evidence against their beliefs
Karl Popper- uses science to explain how it’s meaningless e.g evidence etc

Criticism to falfisicationn
Sory am rushing LOOL
Hare- uses bliks theory
Mitchellacc people can handle criticisms to their belief but evidence of it is not significant enough
Swinburne- toys in the cupboard theory- we use meaningful Lang which isn’t necessary verified or falsified

Criticisms to verif
David Hume - eschatological principle- we won’t know if it’s true or not until we die e.g if there really is a heaven

Verification principle contradicts itself

Was that any help?

No worries, if you need help on others let me know!

Also if you can, I need help on Tillich and Randal 😭
No worries, if you need help on others let me know!

Also if you can, I need help on Tillich and Randal 😭

I didn’t even know them until I looked at the spec😭😂

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending