The Student Room Group

Are your tastebuds worth more than an animals life?

So I recently watched this guy make a vid about being a vegan and he brought up some valid points.
Was the question I was left with, now i'm reconsidering :/

Scroll to see replies

no they are not and that's why I don't eat any animal products
Original post by Anonymous
So I recently watched this guy make a vid about being a vegan and he brought up some valid points.

Yes. Animals were created for sustenance.
Reply 3
Meat's delicious, the animals would be dead regardless, you stopping isn't helping them

Nah, but we need the protein. It's natural to eat animals tbh and if you think otherwise then fair play to you. But I honestly don't think you're gonna convert many people here
Original post by JClose44
Meat's delicious, the animals would be dead regardless, you stopping isn't helping them

Yes, I agree with you that animals will be dead regardless but it's about supply and demand. The less that's demanded, in theory the less slaughtering taking place and therefore more demand for vegan meat substitutes as a few statistics have shown.
I don't think anyone would pay as much for my tastebuds as they would for a nice steak, so no.
If we didn't eat animals, another animal would eat them. I don't see why it's so wrong for humans (an animal) to eat other animals when that's what animals do.

I've seen the word animal too many times it doesn't seem real anymore.
Reply 8

Of course it is.
This question doesn't address the issue.
th

Probably not, but the protein they provide is worth more than their lives.

Plants and animals have different proteins, some of those proteins are very important but cannot be produced in the body as well as not being present in most plants.
Original post by bullyhunter73
ye
they are

yummy chicken
yummy bacon
yummy beef
yummy eggs

yummy indeed
Some animals have evolved eating other animals, including us.

How we treat the animals we eat is a different issue as is the fact that we're generally eating much more meat than our digestive system has evolved to
Original post by DrawTheLine
If we didn't eat animals, another animal would eat them. I don't see why it's so wrong for humans (an animal) to eat other animals when that's what animals do.

I've seen the word animal too many times it doesn't seem real anymore.

thats like saying if we dont kill people, someone else will

most dumbest argument i've ever seen lmao
Original post by bullyhunter74
thats like saying if we dont kill people, someone else will

most dumbest argument i've ever seen lmao

If we lived with other animals more closely we would be killed and eaten by them such as hippos, alligators, tigers etc. It's natural for animals to eat each other and humans are no different. If we let cows etc live freely they would get killed by other animals and eaten by other animals.

Also I'm not making an argument I'm stating my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anybody to eat meat.
yes, my tastebuds are worth more.
If we lived with other animals more closely we would be killed and eaten by them such as hippos, alligators, tigers etc. It's natural for animals to eat each other and humans are no different. If we let cows etc live freely they would get killed by other animals and eaten by other animals.

Also I'm not making an argument I'm stating my opinion. I'm not trying to convince anybody to eat meat.

you're saying we want to eachother?

sick iq mate
Original post by bullyhunter74
you're saying we want to eachother?

sick iq mate

I'm saying it's natural for humans to eat other animals, like how other animals eat animals.
This Wise Fool is actually open to the idea of vegetarianism and veganism. If someone could convince me otherwise, I might reconsider my meat eating ways. For example, meat is important for many areas of our body not just including muscles. Some of these benefits from meat are;

Creatine (Only found in animal food) which is for the brain and for the muscles. Lack of Creatine means a lower performance in test and lower mental capacity.

Vitamin B12 Only found in meat again (though I could be wrong on this one) causes abnormalities in the blood if not taken in at a high enough rate.

A lack of Vitamin D3 appears to lead to an increase of; cancer, heart disease and depression.

Clearly, meat is very, very beneficial and that's just a few examples. It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat. However, I'm not saying it's impossible.

A better question would be in this wise fools own opinion, Are we worth more than an animal's life? And the answer... Obviously! Now this Wise Fool wants to remind everyone, we're omnivores! Not carnivores or herbivores but omnivores.

I understand if someone doesn't like the idea of killing animals or animals being in pain. This fools agrees that animals being in pointless pain is well... pointless. However, I do think giving an animal purpose for being in our meals is fair. We are more important that animals.

Us eating animals can also help with the food chain. If some animals with no natural predators were no suddenly not longer livestock (they'd probably struggle) their population would sky-rocket until it collapses because of the food. Us eating animals keeps control of this.

If we didn't eat animals, another animal would eat them.
Isn't stupid at all. If animals were to be set free, life would be harder for them their populations would boom then collapse and the food supply e.g. grass would be ravaged. The reason why this can't be applied to humans is because we've adapted to control such things.
Reply 19
Original post by TheWiseFool
This Wise Fool is actually open to the idea of vegetarianism and veganism. If someone could convince me otherwise, I might reconsider my meat eating ways. For example, meat is important for many areas of our body not just including muscles. Some of these benefits from meat are;

Creatine (Only found in animal food) which is for the brain and for the muscles. Lack of Creatine means a lower performance in test and lower mental capacity.

Humans naturally produce creatine.

Vitamin B12 Only found in meat again (though I could be wrong on this one) causes abnormalities in the blood if not taken in at a high enough rate.

You are wrong on this one. Apart from non-meat sources that naturally contain vitamin b12 (which admittedly probably aren't very common), you are also probably consuming plenty from foods which it is added (from non-meat sources) to pretty much by standard these days.

A lack of Vitamin D3 appears to lead to an increase of; cancer, heart disease and depression.

Again, we naturally produce our own. It is also, much like B12 from what I understand, include as standard in many foods.

Clearly, meat is very, very beneficial and that's just a few examples. It's very hard to live a healthy life without some supplements to replace meat. However, I'm not saying it's impossible.

Lots of things in life are hard. That doesn't mean they're not worth doing.

A better question would be in this wise fools own opinion, Are we worth more than an animal's life? And the answer... Obviously! Now this Wise Fool wants to remind everyone, we're omnivores! Not carnivores or herbivores but omnivores.

Maybe, maybe not, but naturally we'd also be living in caves. Even if you come to the conclusion we're naturally omnivores, is it always such a good idea to follow our natural ways?

Us eating animals can also help with the food chain. If some animals with no natural predators were no suddenly not longer livestock (they'd probably struggle) their population would sky-rocket until it collapses because of the food. Us eating animals keeps control of this.

The only reason these animals exist in the first place though is due to our intervention. If we ate the current generation and did not breed any more, we wouldn't magically have leftover herds aimlessly roaming around. Very few westerners eat wild animals on any sort of regular basis (and even many of those aren't truly natural) so I don't believe the ecosystem would suddenly be thrown off balance in any way.

Quick Reply

Latest