The Student Room Group

How relevant are gcse's for getting into universities?

I've looked around and I haven't really found a clear answer. I'm looking to get into a Russel group university. For all of the a levels that I've taken, I will most likely get 7's and 8's for those subjects. But I'm worried that my other subjects may make it harder to get into universities? Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the uni and degree. Most want at least a pass in English and Maths and may want a pass or a higher grade in the subject relating to the degree.
irrelevant
Reply 3
Ok, my friend is saying that you only get offers based on your gcse's, and then you get in on your a levels.
Reply 4
Original post by Leveneo
I've looked around and I haven't really found a clear answer. I'm looking to get into a Russel group university. For all of the a levels that I've taken, I will most likely get 7's and 8's for those subjects. But I'm worried that my other subjects may make it harder to get into universities? Could anyone shed some light on the subject?

So long as you meet a university's minimum GCSE requirements you are fine. Maths & English may have specified minimum grades, and some might ask for at least 5 GCSEs but they won't specify the subjects.

And don't restrict yourself to RG universities. There's plenty of excellent universities not in the RG.
Depends on the university, but for the most it's 5 A*-C so 5 (9-4) in some cases a 5.

I have seen some universities require CERTAIN subjects to be in certain grades, but I am definite your A Levels matter more :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Leveneo
Ok, my friend is saying that you only get offers based on your gcse's, and then you get in on your a levels.

No, your offer is largely based on your predicted grades at A-level. GCSEs don't usually* have a huge role.

* Can vary a bit by course/university... so which course/universities are you considering?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 7
Ok thanks, some websites don't really specify the GCSE requirements, such as imperial, but thanks for the info anyway.
Reply 8
Its basically not especially relevant as ling as you get a B in maths/english you are sorted. Except for medicine. You want the best you can get for medicine.
Reply 9
Original post by Doonesbury
No, your offer is largely based on your predicted grades at A-level. GCSEs don't usually* have a huge role.

* Can vary a bit by course/university... so which course/universities are you considering?

Well I don't want to home in on any decisions yet, but potentially aerospace engineering at imperial college would be the most ideal course and university at the moment.
Reply 10
So long as you meet a university's minimum GCSE requirements you are fine. Maths & English may have specified minimum grades, and some might ask for at least 5 GCSEs but they won't specify the subjects.

And don't restrict yourself to RG universities. There's plenty of excellent universities not in the RG.

I agree. RG uni’s are more important for postgraduate research.
Reply 11
Original post by ohdearstudying
Depends on the university, but for the most it's 5 A*-C so 5 (9-4)

"Some" (quite rarely actually), definitely not "most".

Picking an RG example, Birmingham asks for a C in Maths & English but doesn't have other GCSE requirements*.

*Although Medicine is a notable exception.
Reply 12
Original post by CGSW
I agree. RG uni’s are more important for postgraduate research.

Ah that's good to know, thanks
"Some" (quite rarely actually), definitely not "most".

Picking an RG example, Birmingham asks for a C in Maths & English but doesn't have other GCSE requirements*.

*Although Medicine is a notable exception.

Oh god they don't have a GCSE requirement for many 'normal' unis, but I guess it would be implied through an A Level requirement as you need at least 5 passes at most collges and more for sixth form to do A Levels.

I was trying to make OP feel better, but in actual fact what you've said is more general and what happens.
Reply 14
Original post by Leveneo
Well I don't want to home in on any decisions yet, but potentially aerospace engineering at imperial college would be the most ideal course and university at the moment.

Yup, it's very early to be making any firm choices - don't worry.

If Imperial don't state any GCSE requirements* then they don't have any. Cambridge, for example, also don't have any.

*They do have a GCSE English requirement:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/english/
GCSE Post 2017: Grade 6 in English Language
Reply 15
Ok so I'm most likely getting an 8/9 in maths, a 7/8 in physics and a 7/8 in geography. I'm going to be doing maths, further maths physics and geography. Does anyone think I will have any problems with my results bringing me down in university offers?
Reply 16
Yup, it's very early to be making any firm choices - don't worry.

If Imperial don't state any GCSE requirements* then they don't have any. Cambridge, for example, also don't have any.

*They do have a GCSE English requirement:
http://www.imperial.ac.uk/study/ug/apply/requirements/english/
GCSE Post 2017: Grade 6 in English Language

Honeslty thanks so much for being helpful, I was just really stressing out over that, I'm not even stressing about my two exams tommorow!
Reply 17
Original post by Leveneo
Honeslty thanks so much for being helpful, I was just really stressing out over that, I'm not even stressing about my two exams tommorow!

:hat2: And good luck tomorrow!

Which GCSEs are you actually doing?
Reply 18
Original post by Leveneo
Ok so I'm most likely getting an 8/9 in maths, a 7/8 in physics and a 7/8 in geography. I'm going to be doing maths, further maths physics and geography. Does anyone think I will have any problems with my results bringing me down in university offers?

The short answer is: no.
The long answer is: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Vast majority of universities will require you to have a C or 5 in GCSE Maths and English. Once that requirement has been met, your admittance is entirely based on your A Levels or equivalent Level 3 qualifications

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending