The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Can I get into LSE with these predicted GCSE grades?

My predicted grades for GCSE are: 7777666665

7=A
6=B
5= B to C

I want to do a Politics and International Relations degree and although the very basic A-level requirements are AAA, the 2019 course profile in the LSE website says,

"Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 5)."

This wasn't mentioned in the older course profile pages. So this is definitely a very new entry requirement of the LSE.

I'm predicted a 5 at maths and a 7 at English Language

Do you think that I have a chance to join the LSE with these GCSE grades?
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No

Lack of A*s for a very competitive degree

No extenuating circumstances to reason the lack of A*s. EDIT: to make your application more competitive

Presuming you're year 10, I would aim for a proper B (6) and an 8 in Language.

The majority of your grades are Bs EDIT try and get them up

EDIT wasn't trying to ward OP off, but they're year 10 and can get their grades up :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by ohdearstudying
No

No extenuating circumstances to reason the lack of A*s.

The majority of your grades are Bs

I'm actually in Year 11 and halfway through my GCSE exams. I heard that BSC Economics is extremely hard to apply since it's a very competitive course and the signature of the LSE. But I've barely heard anyone even talking about BSc Politics and International Relations and I think that it might be easier to get accepted for this course since it's less competitive and the only undergraduate course that says "Politics" instead of "Government".
Original post by jazir.01
I'm actually in Year 11 and halfway through my GCSE exams. I heard that BSC Economics is extremely hard to apply since it's a very competitive course and the signature of the LSE. But I've barely heard anyone even talking about BSc Politics and International Relations and I think that it might be easier to get accepted for this course since it's less competitive and the only undergraduate course that says "Politics" instead of "Government".

How comes you've got numbers for all GCSEs, unless you're not doing Science?

Law is their lowest acceptance rate I believe. But a school with a 7.9% acceptance rate will need more grades and seeing as you have no extenuating circumstances, you will fall in the "Okay" category. No LSE course is "easy: to be accepted to, they would run a degree with 3 people if they got EXCELLENT results.

I know someone that literally got rejected from a top uni to study butterflies or something-like no one does it.

Less competitive for LSE may mean instead 20,000 applicants they get 15,000.
Reply 4
How comes you've got numbers for all GCSEs, unless you're not doing Science?

Law is their lowest acceptance rate I believe. But a school with a 7.9% acceptance rate will need more grades and seeing as you have no extenuating circumstances, you will fall in the "Okay" category. No LSE course is "easy: to be accepted to, they would run a degree with 3 people if they got EXCELLENT results.

I know someone that literally got rejected from a top uni to study butterflies or something-like no one does it.

Less competitive for LSE may mean instead 20,000 applicants they get 15,000.

Good point. I've just read in a different thread that Bsc Politics and IR is more competitive than Bsc Government with an acceptance rate of 11% compared to 35%. The reason why all my grades are in numbers is because I'm in the first set of Year 11 students who will be graded in numbers as a result of Michael Gove's reforms.
(edited 5 years ago)
Good point. I've just read in a different thread that Bsc Politics and IR is more competitive than Bsc Government with an acceptance rate of 11% compared to 35%. The reason why all my grades are in numbers is because I'm in the first set of Year 11 students who will be graded in numbers as a result of Michael Gove's reforms.

I'm year 11 too, sorry ignore the science thing I got muddled with last year.

I would aim for another university, however, I too am aiming for LSE but my only 'saving grace' is extenuating circumstances.

Will not hurt to apply, please do!
Reply 6
I'm year 11 too, sorry ignore the science thing I got muddled with last year.

I would aim for another university, however, I too am aiming for LSE but my only 'saving grace' is extenuating circumstances.

Will not hurt to apply, please do!

It's interesting because I'm currently under diagnosis for Autism Spectrum Disorder and I wonder whether LSE would consider that as an exceptional cicrumstance. If it is, then I really hope that I have ASD lol.
(edited 5 years ago)
It's interesting because I'm currently under diagnosis for Autism Spectrum Disorder and I wonder whether LSE would consider that as an exceptional cicrumstance. If it is, then I really hope that I have ASD lol.

Sorry, but you are very mistaken what an extenuating circumstance is.

If your ASD has impeded your education, I apologise, but you wishing for a diagnosis suggests otherwise. It's like a situation at home (divorce, someone going to prison etc) or illness-something surrounding that. It's fairly broad but a special need won't quantify it.

I'm classed as 'disabled' and so would be 'extra' protected when applying, hence why I would ask. But frankly, seems like your last resort will be a poorly performing school you're from and a low POLAR area (ie 1 or 2 for engagement)

a) It isn't the only undergrad course that says "Politics" instead of "Government" - there's also Politics & Philosophy, and PPE

b) It makes no difference to the course's competitiveness. Politics and IR is actually the most competitive course in the Government department. If you really want to get in, then consider applying to Government instead, and you can choose IR modules as your outside options in all three years if you want to, so you'll still get to do IR.

Plus Politics & International Relations actually has a lower offer rate than BSc Economics.
Reply 9
Original post by LeapingLucy
a) It isn't the only undergrad course that says "Politics" instead of "Government" - there's also Politics & Philosophy, and PPE

b) It makes no difference to the course's competitiveness. Politics and IR is actually the most competitive course in the Government department. If you really want to get in, then consider applying to Government instead, and you can choose IR modules as your outside options in all three years if you want to, so you'll still get to do IR.

Plus Politics & International Relations actually has a lower offer rate than BSc Economics.

I guess it explains why I couldn't find any examples of LSE Politics and IR students online since it is a competitive course. If I get to choose IR modules in the third year of Bsc Government, is that less than the amount of IR taught in Bsc Politics and IR? Is it possible to do a masters in International Relations with a bachelor's politics degree? To be honest, I'd rather do Politics and International Relations at a different uni rather than government at LSE. Would it be easy to get accepted for a masters at LSE? Would they consider anything other than a 2:1 degree and the personal statement?
No

This is so wrong and damaging. You cannot make false claims like this when you are in year 11, haven’t even been through the UCAS process and clearly don’t know how unis look at applicants. I was accepted to bsc Econ with half A*/As half Bs, so do not be put off from applying. They take into lots of different factors, it is extremely unlikely they will reject someone for not having a couple extra A’s at gcse.
It’s worth a shot. I know a few people who got average in their GCSE’s but were predicted AAA at A-level and got into LSE.
No

Shut the hell up. You know nothing so stop trying to put others down. I know people who are now at LSE but got Bs and Cs in their GCSE’s (some got 2 A’s). They look more at your A levels and personal statement. GCSE’s of course matter but nowhere near as A levels. So stop with the bs
Original post by ks234r
Shut the hell up. You know nothing so stop trying to put others down. I know people who are now at LSE but got Bs and Cs in their GCSE’s (some got 2 A’s). They look more at your A levels and personal statement. GCSE’s of course matter but nowhere near as A levels. So stop with the bs

Hey, I got an offer for history for this year at LSE. I got good GCSEs 2A*s, 4As, 3Bs, 2Cs, but by no means all A*s. Like you said, what is really important is A-levels and personal statement, if you get good AS levels/ A level predictions and a good personal statement you'llhave a decent chance. Don't be put off to apply (I was), a the end of the day you have 5 choices so you might as well try!
Original post by GCSE2016Troop
This is so wrong and damaging. You cannot make false claims like this when you are in year 11, haven’t even been through the UCAS process and clearly don’t know how unis look at applicants. I was accepted to bsc Econ with half A*/As half Bs, so do not be put off from applying. They take into lots of different factors, it is extremely unlikely they will reject someone for not having a couple extra A’s at gcse.

they have an average number of A*s and they require a certain number, otherwise an automated computer rejects applications.

You have A*s, OP is predicted 6s and 5s.

I don't know? but neither do you! it's not a false claim if this was advised by the university in a freedom of information request :smile:
Original post by ks234r

ohhhh go off sis. you mad.
My predicted grades for GCSE are: 7777666665

7=A
6=B
5= B to C

I want to do a Politics and International Relations degree and although the very basic A-level requirements are AAA, the 2019 course profile in the LSE website says,

"Applicants should also have already achieved a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9), or equivalent. Your GCSE (or equivalent) English Language and Mathematics grades should be no lower than B (or 5)."

This wasn't mentioned in the older course profile pages. So this is definitely a very new entry requirement of the LSE.

I'm predicted a 5 at maths and a 7 at English Language

Do you think that I have a chance to join the LSE with these GCSE grades?

100% lol
Original post by GenjjutsuGG
100% lol

this thread is "100% lol" vbjbbjkkjb
(edited 5 years ago)
It's more about the context in which you achieved those grades than the grades themselves.

If you got those grades at a top private school, than they wouldn't be great.

If you got those grades at a struggling comprehensive where less than 50% of students get 5 GCSEs, then they're amazing.

Ignore the sixth formers above who have no real knowledge of how uni admissions work.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending