The Student Room Group

will a btec get me into uni

I'm in year 11 now and I have a place in a normal 6th form and and a rugby academy, I just need to accept my place in either of them on results day. I know I could take my place in college, get my 3 a levels and then take whatever course in uni but I really want to see how far I can get with my rugby so that's what I'd rather do. The problem is that once I finish in the academy ill only have a level 3 btec in sport (which is the equivalent of 3 a levels but it's only sport and nothing else) unless they decide to keep me as a professional player. what sort of courses could I be looking at if I do only come out of it with this btec because a lot of unis want things like maths and biology?
A BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to 3 A Levels I believe (someone correct me if I am mistaken). If you'd like to study a sports related course then I'd recommend to start looking at Loughborough, the best in the country for sports related courses (that's if you want to study a sports related subject).

Don't worry, you'll definitely get into university with that qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by BTAnonymous
A BTEC Level 3 is equivalent to 3 A Levels I believe (someone correct me if I am mistaken). If you'd like to study a sports related course then I'd recommend to start looking at Loughborough, the best in the country for sports related courses (that's if you want to study a sports related subject).

Loughborough say they take level 3 btecs if the student also has an additional a level but I don't know if I can do that
Original post by BigPoppa123
Loughborough say they take level 3 btecs if the student also has an additional a level but I don't know if I can do that

Why do you think you cannot?
Reply 4
Why do you think you cannot?

The academy don't do any a level courses and I don't know if there's any other way I could take an a level
The academy don't do any a level courses and I don't know if there's any other way I could take an a level

Have you considered open university before? I don't know much about it but you don't need a levels.

Are their any night classes you could take?
Reply 7
Original post by Allegiant Tiger
Are their any night classes you could take?

do they exist??
Reply 8
Have you considered open university before? I don't know much about it but you don't need a levels.

I'll have a mooch
There are plenty of universities that take BTECs, a lot of it is based on UCAS points.

3 A Levels = 1 Level 3 BTEC

Good luck!

Maybe consider another uni?
do they exist??

You could always have a look online at centres in your local area and see if there is anything.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ohdearstudying
There are plenty of universities that take BTECs, a lot of it is based on UCAS points.

3 A Levels = 1 Level 3 BTEC

Good luck!

Maybe consider another uni?

just concerned about how a lot of the good ones only take the btec in conjunction with an a level
just concerned about how a lot of the good ones only take the btec in conjunction with an a level

If you really need to study an a level, maybe consider sitting them privately?
Reply 13
Exeter (ranked 1st in UK for Sport) - BSc Exercise and Sport Science - DDD-DDM in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
Bath (ranked 2nd in UK for Sport) - BSc Sport and Exercise Science (and other courses) - D*D*D in BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
Will I be able to do a chemistry degree with a BTEC applied science diploma and A level accounting . My predicted grades are D*D* and B in accounting would really appreciate people's help
Level 3 EXTENDED diploma = 3 A levels
Level 3 diploma- 1 A level

Making it clear :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest