The Student Room Group

General Certificate of Secondary Education Students 2018

You've worked incredibly hard, you should be SO proud of yourselves!
- Dr. Abdur Rahman, Biology Dept., Westminster School
This will be the end of most of your biology careers, whether you have questions regarding today's exam, upcoming science exams or A-Level Biology - I'm more than happy to address such concerns!
Original post by abdur_rahman1
This will be the end of most of your biology careers, whether you have questions regarding today's exam, upcoming science exams or A-Level Biology - I'm more than happy to address such concerns!

Hi if you want to breed 2 cows who both have traits with low milk, to get offspring with low milk concentration, can you do embryo transplant or would it have to be selective breeding? Because on today’s exam most seem to have put selective breeding but I put embryo transplant. Is it right or not?
Original post by ANDREW 200436
Hi if you want to breed 2 cows who both have traits with low milk, to get offspring with low milk concentration, can you do embryo transplant or would it have to be selective breeding? Because on today’s exam most seem to have put selective breeding but I put embryo transplant. Is it right or not?

Hi yes this a correct but more complex process which falls under cloning. You must've outlined how cow must be artificially inseminated with sperm (of cow possessing desirable characteristic), embryos removed from cow, split and placed in uterus of foster mother.

Oh having re-read the question both cows 'have traits' in that case selective breeding seems most appropriate as my explanation above refers to two cows one with traits and one without, but not to worry you must've picked up marks in your description!
Original post by Volibear
Lmao I'm so glad I'm not at school anymore

Standard reaction, how did you find papers?
Original post by abdur_rahman1
Hi yes this a correct but more complex process which falls under cloning. You must've outlined how cow must be artificially inseminated with sperm (of cow possessing desirable characteristic), embryos removed from cow, split and placed in uterus of foster mother.

Oh having re-read the question both cows 'have traits' in that case selective breeding seems most appropriate as my explanation above refers to two cows one with traits and one without, but not to worry you must've picked up marks in your description!

Thanks for your reply! I presume you are correct but my revision guide says that embryonic cloning can produce offspring from a prize bull and prize cow by fertilising the prize (low milk)cows egg with the prize bulls(low milk) sperm before undertaking the embryonic cloning process that you have outlined. Is this correct?
(edited 5 years ago)
Thanks for your reply! To be honest not sure exactly how the question was worded, it might not have specifically said traits but anyway thanks for letting me know that my answer is at least partially correct 🙂

Hi no problem! If the wording was indeed to your favour you may have been completely correct.
Thanks for your reply! I presume you are correct but my revision guide says that embryonic cloning can produce offspring from a prize bull and prize cow by fertilising the prize (low milk)cows egg with the prize bulls(low milk) sperm before undertaking the embryonic cloning process that you have outlined. Is this correct?

Hi yes this is fully correct.

Quick Reply

Latest