The Student Room Group

Igcse edexcel 11th june 2018 biology 2b:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mrbubbles123
It was runners, because thats what strawberries use for asexual reproduction. Maybe you weren't taught that :tongue:

Anyone else think that the first paper was actually much harder?

i think the paper 1 was harder lol. i hope paper 2 will pull up my mark since i really want to do bio for a level. i put tubers in asexual reproduction in potatoes for that question lol
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by cr_13
Was it restriction and ligase enzymes for putting the plant pesticide in the yeast cell? And how the hell does one grow yeast cells in a fermenter (to do with spores I presume?)?

yeah the enzymes are right
Original post by leloswany
yeah the enzymes are right

would i get any marks for saying use a restriction enzyme to cut the dna and ligase to join dna together, i didnt read the question properly.
Reply 43
Yaah 2 marks I think
In regards to the question for the importance of light in photosynthesis, i think it was possible to take it in a few ways:

I wrote the fact that you could alter the distance of the lamp, from the elodea plant, with the same light intensity; in order to see the effect on photosynthesis. The production of oxygen would decrease as the distance of the lamp from the plant decreases. (it is further away from the elodea plant which is photosynthesising underwater, hence you can see less oxygen bubbles being produced.)

Alternatively, i think you could put the plant in a dark cupboard, and take a leaf, and test it for starch using iodine solution (which would show a brown/yellow colour, as no starch is present, as it cannot photosynthesise.)
Original post by young_shotter
would i get any marks for saying use a restriction enzyme to cut the dna and ligase to join dna together, i didnt read the question properly.

that should be 2 out of 3 marks
Original post by yoongles
that should be 2 out of 3 marks

thanks for letting me know!
Reply 47
I said move the lamp at different distances to the plant, then after a certain amount of time, having destarched the plant before, one should measure the energy content of the plant in joules (given by one of the previous questions) - greater energy content implies more photosynthesis.
Original post by cieloceleste
i wrote about keeping the plant in a dark cupboard and later testing it for starch

yes same omg i'm so relieved
Original post by mrbubbles123
It was runners, because thats what strawberries use for asexual reproduction. Maybe you weren't taught that :tongue:

Anyone else think that the first paper was actually much harder?

Couldn't stems also be considered because of cuttings?
I don't think so, since yeast are single celled and spores is related to mycelium, which is another fungi structure. Honestly I just put the conditions of the ferment and putting a nutrient medium :'D
Original post by cr_13
Was it restriction and ligase enzymes for putting the plant pesticide in the yeast cell? And how the hell does one grow yeast cells in a fermenter (to do with spores I presume?)?
Reply 51
Guys plz anyone if you can mention all skin questions ?
I thought the exam was so bad and not enough of the specification covered. I focused on everything but plants 😩 I’m so gutted.
Original post by LisaR2016
I thought the exam was so bad and not enough of the specification covered. I focused on everything but plants 😩 I’m so gutted.

Same... I'm so dead inside now. I saw ppl saying how good it was and immediately i know how badly im screwed...
Original post by ahlblbbb
Same... I'm so dead inside now. I saw ppl saying how good it was and immediately i know how badly im screwed...

Same!! Plants I didn’t really bother to revise and as I’m a mature student I did it all myself with science with hazel so I messed up on all the experiment questions!
The only question I know I did ok with was the eutrophication and that was only a 3 marker!
I think at most I got about 12 marks 😥😥😥
Same!! Plants I didn’t really bother to revise and as I’m a mature student I did it all myself with science with hazel so I messed up on all the experiment questions!
The only question I know I did ok with was the eutrophication and that was only a 3 marker!

Don’t worry
Grade boundaries are going to be like 115 for an A* as my biology teachers said that it was a weird pair of papers
Original post by amazingfcb
Don’t worry
Grade boundaries are going to be like 115 for an A* as my biology teachers said that it was a weird pair of papers

I’m worried I’d even get a C, I honestly messed up that paper so bad!
Paper 1 I think I did ok, maybe 50 percent... 😩

Yes!!! I didn't think of those plants at all. That energy experiment I got completely messed up! I just hope I can get a B, that's all I wish.
What did everyone put for the colour change in the tubes for orange to red? And the independent variable?
Original post by cieloceleste
starch and sucrose
what did u write?

I put the same :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending