The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 Mathematics: Mechanics M2 6678 01 - 15 June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the 2018 Edexcel M2 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 18%
Good :H 30%
Okay :bebored: 24%
Bad :cry2: 18%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@10%
Total votes: 278

Edexcel A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2018 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Mechanics 2
Date: Friday 15th June 2018
Time: Afternoon
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 31

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20(2008)&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for M2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence!

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel AS Core Maths C1
Edexcel AS Core Maths C2
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C3
Edexcel A2 Core Maths C4
Edexcel AS Mechanics M1
Edexcel AS Statistics S1
Edexcel A2 Statistics S2
Edexcel AS Decision Maths D1
Edexcel A2 Decision Maths D2
Edexcel AS Further Pure FP1
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP2
Edexcel A2 Further Pure FP3
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'll post the same tips as I did last year. I'll have another look and add to them at some point:

Edexcel M2 Tips

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
I'll post the same tips as I did last year. I'll have another look and add to them at some point:

Edexcel M2 Tips

How diffiuclt would you rate this module (and M3) to grasp. I hadn't noticed that M3 was so early (16th May), so I need to learn this module within a week, to give myself a month to get comfortable with M3.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by MathQS
How diffiuclt would you rate this module (and M3) to grasp. I hadn't noticed that M3 was so early (16th May), so I need to learn this module within a week, to give myself a month to get comfortable with M3.

I rate Edexcel M2 as the hardest A Level module and then M3 is a step above this. M2 requires good past paper practice to get used to the types of questions that you may not see in a textbook. Me rating it as the hardest doesn't mean much though. If a student is good at mechanics then they might think that M2 is the second easiest module after M1.

Why are you learning it in a week? I'm assuming your ability level is high because most students wouldn't be able to do this.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
I rate Edexcel M2 as the hardest A Level module and then M3 is a step above this. M2 requires good past paper practice to get used to the types of questions that you may not see in a textbook. Me rating it as the hardest doesn't mean much though. If a student is good at mechanics then they might think that M2 is the second easiest module after M1.

Why are you learning it in a week? I'm assuming your ability level is high because most students wouldn't be able to do this.

i deffo find mechanics the hardest fml fp3 is easier :tongue:
Reply 5
mekanix
can some one help me with this q please

m2 edexcel january 2008

After the collision between P and Q, the particle Q collides directly with a particle R
of mass m which is at rest on the plane. The coefficient of restitution between Q and Ris e.
(c) Calculate the range of values of e for which there will be a second collision betweenP and Q.
Hi! I made some predictions - I have no clue how accurate they'll be, but I made them anyway :biggrin:

https://gyazo.com/cd341b1b620707bdd08a470246078038
Reply 8
Original post by plklupu
Hi! I made some predictions - I have no clue how accurate they'll be, but I made them anyway :biggrin:

Interesting predictions. This emphasises how important past paper practice is for Edexcel - the questions are so similar!
Original post by plklupu

Thank you for this! I will definitely use this table and try to do every different type of question, so hopefully there won't be any too nasty surprises in the real thing.
Reply 10
Original post by loginrunner
Thank you for this! I will definitely use this table and try to do every different type of question, so hopefully there won't be any too nasty surprises in the real thing.

M2 has a habit of throwing in surprises even if you've practiced every paper! But the more papers you do, the easier you'll find the standard questions so you'll have more time to think about the harder problems in the exam.
Original post by Notnek
M2 has a habit of throwing in surprises even if you've practiced every paper! But the more papers you do, the easier you'll find the standard questions so you'll have more time to think about the harder problems in the exam.

Yes, that's very true! What topics do you think are more likely to contain these surprise questions, if any?
Reply 12
Yes, that's very true! What topics do you think are more likely to contain these surprise questions, if any?

That's the question I'd like to know the answer to also! Work/energy/power questions are constantly very standard so maybe that topic? But really I have no idea - it could be any of them :smile:
Really need to up my M2 revision/practice, have neglected it for so long :erm: Was confident with it absolutely ages ago but my ability has gone down loads haha
Original post by okayplease
can some one help me with this q please

m2 edexcel january 2008

After the collision between P and Q, the particle Q collides directly with a particle R
of mass m which is at rest on the plane. The coefficient of restitution between Q and Ris e.
(c) Calculate the range of values of e for which there will be a second collision betweenP and Q.

Which way was P going after the first collision? If away from Q, then Q must go back towards P at a faster speed than P is travelling at.

If P was still going towards Q, then Q must either go back towards P or away from P but more slowly than P's speed.

Use momentum and restitution to get an expression for Q's velocity and then use one of the above to write down an inequality.

No probs at all! Honestly if you do June 2010-2017 I think you'll be fine, I don't think they'll be mean with this exam. They were super nice with S3 and FP2 this year, so hopefully the trend continues. If anything this year is gonna be a curveball, I reckon collisions, suvat or CoM - I think the pattern from the past years indicates the rest will be fairly mild, especially impulse and equations of particle motion, which tend to be consistently easy.

Edit: they could also continue with the philosophy of this year's M1 - re-test us all on things that went badly in 2017, which I imagine includes the nastier-than-usual folded lamina and moments questions.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by plklupu
No probs at all! Honestly if you do June 2010-2017 I think you'll be fine, I don't think they'll be mean with this exam. They were super nice with S3 and FP2 this year, so hopefully the trend continues. If anything this year is gonna be a curveball, I reckon collisions, suvat or CoM - I think the pattern from the past years indicates the rest will be fairly mild, especially impulse and equations of particle motion, which tend to be consistently easy.

Edit: they could also continue with the philosophy of this year's M1 - re-test us all on things that went badly in 2017, which I imagine includes the nastier-than-usual folded lamina and moments questions.

What do you mean by folded lamina?
Reply 17
Original post by Protostar
What do you mean by folded lamina?

E.g. June 2017 Q3.
Original post by Notnek
E.g. June 2017 Q3.

Oh :redface: so would the mass in the "folded" section be twice the area?
Reply 19
Original post by Protostar
Oh :redface: so would the mass in the "folded" section be twice the area?

Yep. Although that's not always the best method for folded laminas e.g. this question. The section that's folded isn't a nice shape so you'd get into a mess if you tried to do it the same way.

The best way to do this one is to just think of it as two areas : the triangle ADE and the trapezium BDEC (which you'd have already dealt with in a)) then just find the COM in the normal way and you can kind of ignore the fact that it's folded.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending