The Student Room Group

Imperial College London’s low satisfaction rate, debunked!

Calling all Imperial alumni, current students, tutors, future applicants, academics..

Why do you think Imperial has a relatively low satisfaction rate compared to other UK universities? Although this may vary by subject, the trend appears to be quite consistent to put Imperial low within the satisfaction metric. Is it truly because of the London factor, .. or the amount of workload? If you think it is, then why won’t people from Oxbridge simply rate Oxford/Cambridge down because it’s hard? Or maybe, Oxbridge students just generally think that they’re already at the best institutions (therefore, have a tendency to be self-sufficient with it); with literally no other institutions to compare with (at least in the UK). Also, of course they don’t wanna let their prestigious unis go down a slot in the league tables. Oh wait, is it culturally/morally wrong to talk bad about Oxbridge? Whoops.

“They got supervisions/tutorials, so they might as well feel more supported than their Imperial friends,”

If so, does that mean that Imperial doesn’t support their students as much as Oxbridge do? Do you think there will be improvements in the future?

:charm: :charm: :charm:

PS. The lack of social life there has been proven untrue for quite a long time, it actually depends on what kind of person you are and the type of people you’re surrounded yourself with.

Highlights: Stefan Grimm death prompts questions for Imperial president. (unrelated topic, but may as well give us some good points) https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/stefan-grimm-death-prompts-questions-for-imperial-president/2019747.article
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
When I went to the Year 12 Lecture event thing at Imperial in February they did discuss that there is a fair bit of pastoral care, so I don't really get it. Actually, having checked Complete University Guide, quite a few of the London universities don't have great student satisfaction. LSE particularly.
Original post by Sinnoh
When I went to the Year 12 Lecture event thing at Imperial in February they did discuss that there is a fair bit of pastoral care, so I don't really get it. Actually, having checked Complete University Guide, quite a few of the London universities don't have great student satisfaction. LSE particularly.

Indeed, but I’m particularly interested to Imperial’s performance, since it had ranked relatively low compared to other London unis (QM, KCL, UCL, even London Met tagging @Kyber Ninja) in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, for example, according to CUG.
Original post by Çharizard
Indeed, but I’m particularly interested to Imperial’s performance, since it had ranked relatively low compared to other London unis (QM, KCL, UCL, even London Met tagging @Kyber Ninja) in Biology, Chemistry and Physics, for example, according to CUG.

Nice try, London Met doesn't offer chemistry. You're getting reported again, this time for misinformation on London Met
Original post by kyber ninja
nice try, london met doesn't offer chemistry. You're getting reported again, this time for misinformation on london met

BROOOOO :’D

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Çharizard
BROOOOO :’D

Spoiler

@Doonesbury is there?
Reply 6
Original post by Kyber Ninja
@Doonesbury is there?

Yes. Eejits can report their own posts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

The amount of times I had to read that word to realise what it meant lol
It's a very study hard environment. Not only that but the students have to be very independent. You're lecturers really don't give a toss if you're studying or not.

Oxbridge scores high because of the supervision system.
Universities with tough courses/marking criterion tend to suffer lol in the student experience. Im going to gather imperial can be a tough uni to do well at.
Original post by Kyber Ninja
The amount of times I had to read that word to realise what it meant lol

Original post by Doonesbury

Posted from TSR Mobile

same, it made me feel like one lmao
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Universities with tough courses/marking criterion tend to suffer lol in the student experience. Im going to gather imperial can be a tough uni to do well at.

Fair point. I found that some unis with ‘tough’ courses usually suffer in these 2 criteria (Unistats):

1) The criteria used in marking have been clear in advance.
2) Marking and assessment has been fair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending