The Student Room Group

What age should racism be excused?

So when Camila Cabello was caught being racist at 15, everyone said “she was a kid and everyone mistakes” which i strongly disagree with as 15 is definitely old enough to know calling Black people slave is racist. Even Justin Bieber situation. When will we stop using the teenager excuse? 11 and over, i will never accept it.
mayb she was just stupid. but i agree
Reply 2
i don't know Camila Cabello, but the answer is NEVER. you should be teaching your kid from the time they're born that racism is unacceptable.
Reply 3
Original post by faloodeh
mayb she was just stupid. but i agree

... and racist!
Reply 4
Children aren't born racist. It's learnt behaviour.
Reply 5
Original post by Joleee
i don't know Camila Cabello, but the answer is NEVER. you should be teaching your kid from the time they're born that racism is unacceptable.

The girl who left fifth harmony. And YES!!!
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Children aren't born racist. It's learnt behaviour.

Did I say that?
All I know is that, if there's an age where racism is excusable, it is only excused for the child and instead the blame is on the parent.
Age is not an excuse, a kid picks it up but it should be enforced that it's bad and not a nice thing to say.
I'm talking about under 8, if she was 15 and being racist she should own up and apologise, it doesn't mean she is a racist but age is not an excuse.
She was obviously impressionable, and/or just picked it up from someone or somewhere, but it's not excusable to simply say 'oh I was young'..
At the same time she shouldn't be persecuted over something she said at 15, because none of us are the same we were when we were 15.
She should be persecuted if she's not apologising.
Reply 9
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
Age is not an excuse, a kid picks it up but it should be enforced that it's bad and not a nice thing to say.
I'm talking about under 8, if she was 15 and being racist she should own up and apologise, it doesn't mean she is a racist but age is not an excuse.
She was obviously impressionable, and/or just picked it up from someone or somewhere, but it's not excusable to simply say 'oh I was young'..
At the same time she shouldn't be persecuted over something she said at 15, because none of us are the same we were when we were 15.
She should be persecuted if she's not apologising.

Picking it up from somewhere is not an excuse. 15 year old you know what you’re doing and you know your intention. She apologised but what does that mean? Nothing. She only apologised because she got caught. And she let her fans photoshop her black band mate being lynched and beaten. But of course, keep making excuses for racists:frown:
Original post by Anonymous
Picking it up from somewhere is not an excuse. 15 year old you know what you’re doing and you know your intention. She apologised but what does that mean? Nothing. She only apologised because she got caught. And she let her fans photoshop her black band mate being lynched and beaten. But of course, keep making excuses for racists:frown:

Why are you arguing with me?
I literally started with 'age is not an excuse'?
Reply 11
So when Camila Cabello was caught being racist at 15, everyone said “she was a kid and everyone mistakes” which i strongly disagree with as 15 is definitely old enough to know calling Black people slave is racist. Even Justin Bieber situation. When will we stop using the teenager excuse? 11 and over, i will never accept it.

it's subjective so make your own mind up

we idolise people too much also. If you like the music, you shouldn't let her racism detract from that.
I think it should never be excused, but if someone no matter their age has said bad thing and has since grown and no longer has those views(people change), things the said before as a child shouldn’t really be brought up to score points-
Doesn’t mean you accept what they’ve said, and it should be treated accordingly at the time and if the person hasn’t changed- but if The person is really a better person now, I don’t see the point in dragging up things they did before and deeply regret.
Original post by UMunR
it's subjective so make your own mind up

we idolise people too much also. If you like the music, you shouldn't let her racism detract from that.

oh so we should make these racist people so f*cking rich and forget about that their racist just because we like their music? Wow
Reply 14
oh so we should make these racist people so f*cking rich and forget about that their racist just because we like their music? Wow

yes

If I like a product I buy it. You reward the production of their music when you buy a product. I choose services I like over moral arbitration about supporting bad people. Kevin Spacey is a paedo but I still love the usual suspects

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending