The Student Room Group

These A-Levels for medicine??

Basically I wanna take bio, chem and physics but my tutor suggests taking maths instead of physics (apparently it boosts chances??)

If I just pick bio, chem and physics for A-Levels along with A-Level Maths tutoring (like from a private tutor, not the ones at school) would that be okay??

and is chem, physics and psychology a good combo??
Original post by Kiko M
Basically I wanna take bio, chem and physics but my tutor suggests taking maths instead of physics (apparently it boosts chances??)

If I just pick bio, chem and physics for A-Levels along with A-Level Maths tutoring (like from a private tutor, not the ones at school) would that be okay??

it shouldn't change whether or not you have physics or bio. bio chem phys is pretty good. most if not all unis require bio and chem and 1 other so thats fine. and physics will help with BMAT for sure

you could do maths privately but that depends on the individual, personally knowing myself i wouldn't be able to do an additional subject i'd just lose motivation and i honestly dont see the point. plus does your school not allow 4 a-levels?

chem physics and psych is okayyyy, but as i said check entry requirements as some unis require bio and chem whilst others are a bit more lenient- i've nearly finished psychology a-level, last exam on thursday and can honestly say its the most interesting a-level i've taken. i do chem and maths and theres a fair number of unis i can apply to for medicine (but i'm taking a year off to apply)

usually unis require bio chem and one other, others say chem and one of bio phys or maths. i think sheffiled accepts psych as an a-level but i cant remember
Reply 2
my brother is currently studying medicine and I also have many friends studying it, and all of them studied chem, bio and maths. From what I've heard it seems that chem and bio are both necessities, but apparently a handful of universities also like maths for medicine. It might be wise to choose maths to keep university options as broad as possible (if this is true), however, I am sure those choices will be fine of the majority of unis.
Original post by Kiko M

Hello! I'm dropping by and assuming this is off the CIE Examination! Physics A2 compared to Maths A2 is a lot tougher (At least for me and what my lecturer mentioned!) I think that's why he discourages you slightly. Maths AS is basically a revision of GCSE Additional Mathematics, afterall! I think he's just looking out for you

Quick Reply

Latest