The Student Room Group

AQA sociology exam paper 1 2018 I think i failed...

tbh I guess I'm just writing this to feel a bit better and to see if anyone can relate lol. I really feel like I flopped that sociology exam. The thing is, I didn't find it necessarily hard, i just didn't have enough time to finish the paper properly (i answered everything, but tbh I hardly wrote anything for the last 20 and 10 marker because of time which makes me feel so unconfident.) I feel like I have really poor time management when it comes to exams. Plus, for that 30 marker I completely forgot to write about pupil subcultures which I'm so annoyed with.

For my 30 marker I wrote about: labelling, language, cultural capital, diet and health, housing and streaming... Do you think thats ok? I went into extreme detail and included so many case studies and sociologists which is why I feel like I didn't have enough time for the last two questions :frown: AND I FORGOT TO DO A CONCLUSION.

oh, and what did you guys write for the 4 marker in the beginning? I found it nasty tbh but i managed to give a detailed answer to try and make up for it lol.

what did you guys write?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I too have a feeling the grade boundaries will be high for this paper. For the 30 marker, I've written about housing, diet, income, language skills, marketisation, labelling/streaming. I've mentioned about internal and external briefly before my conclusion, external (language speech code)...teacher labels and puts W/C pupils into lower sets or streams (internal) etc. BUT I have not made explicit link back to the question and was more concerned about getting the name of theorists down.

For the 4 marker I wrote about Barlett - Cream skimming and silt shifting as higher performing schools can be more selective and avoid the low achieving students (likely to be W/C) and the MC have higher cultural capital so have access to league tables/OFSTED report so can send their children to best performing schools.
The methods question !!! OMG - I assumed the study must have been conducted in school - then I came out of the exam hall and realised you can't really find students in school if they are truanting. OOps. But don't worry! Also focus on the next one. That's what I'm doing instead of revising for an 3hr45min exam on Friday morning lol.
Original post by bibsss
Hey, I too have a feeling the grade boundaries will be high for this paper. For the 30 marker, I've written about housing, diet, income, language skills, marketisation, labelling/streaming. I've mentioned about internal and external briefly before my conclusion, external (language speech code)...teacher labels and puts W/C pupils into lower sets or streams (internal) etc. BUT I have not made explicit link back to the question and was more concerned about getting the name of theorists down.

For the 4 marker I wrote about Barlett - Cream skimming and silt shifting as higher performing schools can be more selective and avoid the low achieving students (likely to be W/C) and the MC have higher cultural capital so have access to league tables/OFSTED report so can send their children to best performing schools.
The methods question !!! OMG - I assumed the study must have been conducted in school - then I came out of the exam hall and realised you can't really find students in school if they are truanting. OOps. But don't worry! Also focus on the next one. That's what I'm doing instead of revising for an 3hr45min exam on Friday morning lol.

omggggg you have no idea how much at ease I am about that 4 marker now! I wrote the exact same thing about Barlett and the cream skimming and slit shifting thing! thank god LOL. I still don't think I got a C grade because the last two questions ****ED me up. also, i'm guessing the grade boundaries are gonna be highhhhhh unless they're generous to us since we're the second year doing the new spec. Don't worry about the 20 marker, you'll still get marks if you just drop in a few sociologists here and there. Plus we have another 2 papers :smile:
Original post by mariagladysreed
omggggg you have no idea how much at ease I am about that 4 marker now! I wrote the exact same thing about Barlett and the cream skimming and slit shifting thing! thank god LOL. I still don't think I got a C grade because the last two questions ****ED me up. also, i'm guessing the grade boundaries are gonna be highhhhhh unless they're generous to us since we're the second year doing the new spec. Don't worry about the 20 marker, you'll still get marks if you just drop in a few sociologists here and there. Plus we have another 2 papers :smile:

I'm retaking my sociology LOL so I have to get an A also I'm paying for it. I managed to get a B in AS and C in A2, which was very close to few UMS mark to get a B. But last year I went into the exam I didn't know anything about beliefs nor surveillance (30 marker - I wrote 3 lines) and came out with a high C. But last years papers were easier and the grade boundaries for the second paper was roughly 55/80 marks to get an A*. Overall, 70% to get an A*, this year will be higher I'm praying that globalisation and crime doesn't come up (it has 2 years ago and everyone did bad).
Original post by bibsss
I'm retaking my sociology LOL so I have to get an A also I'm paying for it. I managed to get a B in AS and C in A2, which was very close to few UMS mark to get a B. But last year I went into the exam I didn't know anything about beliefs nor surveillance (30 marker - I wrote 3 lines) and came out with a high C. But last years papers were easier and the grade boundaries for the second paper was roughly 55/80 marks to get an A*. Overall, 70% to get an A*, this year will be higher I'm praying that globalisation and crime doesn't come up (it has 2 years ago and everyone did bad).

ohh I see. I really hope you get a good grade! you did well last year considering you didn't feel that confident, so I'm sure you'll smash it this year.

and sameeee omg hate globalisation so much. Hopefully ethnicity will come up fingers crossed. Best of luck!!!
ohh I see. I really hope you get a good grade! you did well last year considering you didn't feel that confident, so I'm sure you'll smash it this year.

and sameeee omg hate globalisation so much. Hopefully ethnicity will come up fingers crossed. Best of luck!!!

You're thinking ethnicity too? I'm thinking of Gender/Media/Ethnicity! Omg imagine if Realists theories of crime came up. Wow. Globalisation came up in 2016 and state crime in 2015.

Good luck to you too!
tbh I guess I'm just writing this to feel a bit better and to see if anyone can relate lol. I really feel like I flopped that sociology exam. The thing is, I didn't find it necessarily hard, i just didn't have enough time to finish the paper properly (i answered everything, but tbh I hardly wrote anything for the last 20 and 10 marker because of time which makes me feel so unconfident.) I feel like I have really poor time management when it comes to exams. Plus, for that 30 marker I completely forgot to write about pupil subcultures which I'm so annoyed with.

For my 30 marker I wrote about: labelling, language, cultural capital, diet and health, housing and streaming... Do you think thats ok? I went into extreme detail and included so many case studies and sociologists which is why I feel like I didn't have enough time for the last two questions :frown: AND I FORGOT TO DO A CONCLUSION.

oh, and what did you guys write for the 4 marker in the beginning? I found it nasty tbh but i managed to give a detailed answer to try and make up for it lol.

what did you guys write?
What about the 10 marker with the item. I wrote about meritocracy helps to sustain capitalism etc.
Original post by Inquisitor1236
What about the 10 marker with the item. I wrote about meritocracy helps to sustain capitalism etc.

I used the item. I wrote about Althusser and the two state apparatuses. The ideological state apparatuses and the repressive state apparatuses. I said how within the education system creates ideologies through labelling, streaming ect and the working class are more likely to fall into these categories. I then said that this maintains capitalism as the working class won't believe that they are capable of moving up in the hierarchy due to being labelled and placed in lower tiers. And because of role allocation (yep i kinda spoke about functionalism here but oh well) they are shifted and sorted into jobs that require manual labour as the working class have less opportunities when it comes to education due to being labelled Manual labour maintains capitalism etc

then I spoke about how the reproduces inequality and legitimises it due to the repressive state apparatus, basically meaning that the working class choose the accept the fact that there is a hierarchy and nothing can be done about it. I can't really remember what I said tbh but I said something like the education system reproduces this as in classes there is a teacher which the students must obey authority to, and this corresponds within the workplace. I just linked it somehow and yeah.

what you wrote was probably right too, i think there was loads of answers for it.
Original post by bibsss
You're thinking ethnicity too? I'm thinking of Gender/Media/Ethnicity! Omg imagine if Realists theories of crime came up. Wow. Globalisation came up in 2016 and state crime in 2015.

Good luck to you too!

Thank you!

omg how did you find the second paper? I found it **** LOL. It was going all good until i saw postmodernism. I literally know hardly anything about it. I hope it went well for you!!!
Reply 9
Oh yeah how did everyone find paper 2? I feel like I was super generic, barely any sociologists for family and mass media...........................lol What did you guys write for the child demography 10 marker?I mentioned childcentredness but my second point I didn't have much time because I still had a 20 marker. The second point was how children are more dependent now..? Since if we live longer, and there are more generations of family alive then they can meet economic needs instead of the children making them part of the dependent population. But I did add for my criticism that this argument ignores the roles of policy such as labour laws.OVERALL... PRETTY SHIGHT.
Thank you!

omg how did you find the second paper? I found it **** LOL. It was going all good until i saw postmodernism. I literally know hardly anything about it. I hope it went well for you!!!

Hey me too! Worst thing is that knowing family diversity and crime will come up I focused too much on couples instead, this won't happen for the next paper, I'll have to revise everything lol. Also these are the previous Qs (* old spec - you shouldn't really rely on them because in 2016 crime prevention came up and it did as 30 marker in 2017 but it was a new spec so... this is for some guidance)

2014: Patterns of green crime (21)
patterns of social class and crime (21)
2015: Right Realists - explanations and solutions (21)
Ethnic difference in crime (21)
2016: Explanation of impact on crime prevention (21)
Patterns of types of state crime (21)
*2017: Crime prevention (30) Subculture (10) functions of difference (6) Ethnic difference (4)

Theory:
2014: Feminism (33)
2015: Theoretical perspectives (for a method/investigation) (33)
2016: Postmodernism (33)
*2017: Conflict v consensus theories -- to our of understanding society (20)
Original post by Farcarpo
Oh yeah how did everyone find paper 2? I feel like I was super generic, barely any sociologists for family and mass media...........................lol What did you guys write for the child demography 10 marker?I mentioned childcentredness but my second point I didn't have much time because I still had a 20 marker. The second point was how children are more dependent now..? Since if we live longer, and there are more generations of family alive then they can meet economic needs instead of the children making them part of the dependent population. But I did add for my criticism that this argument ignores the roles of policy such as labour laws.OVERALL... PRETTY SHIGHT.

Trust me I feel the same way.It was hard to incorporate sociologists and everyone found the paper pretty challenging so hopefully the grade boundaries are lowered for this one loll. but don't worry, but because you found it challenging doesn't mean you flopped!

for the 10 marker on the child demography I also wrote about child centredness!(however you spell it LOL) and for my second point I write about the golden age and how childhood is now valued due to the industrial revolution taking place so that means children aren't used as manual labour workers and they are now seen are vulnerable and important members for the next generation in the family. I just tried to link it with demography and all that.

what you wrote is completely fine and good! so I don't think I would worry.

What are you basing the guess that the grade boundaries will be high on?
Original post by Tom Trybull
What are you basing the guess that the grade boundaries will be high on?

I'm basing it on last years paper tbh and how people found it. it's just a hypothetical guess though. Can't really be sure tbh
I'm basing it on last years paper tbh and how people found it. it's just a hypothetical guess though. Can't really be sure tbh

So you think people found this year's paper easier?
Original post by bibsss
Hey me too! Worst thing is that knowing family diversity and crime will come up I focused too much on couples instead, this won't happen for the next paper, I'll have to revise everything lol. Also these are the previous Qs (* old spec - you shouldn't really rely on them because in 2016 crime prevention came up and it did as 30 marker in 2017 but it was a new spec so... this is for some guidance)

2014: Patterns of green crime (21)
patterns of social class and crime (21)
2015: Right Realists - explanations and solutions (21)
Ethnic difference in crime (21)
2016: Explanation of impact on crime prevention (21)
Patterns of types of state crime (21)
*2017: Crime prevention (30) Subculture (10) functions of difference (6) Ethnic difference (4)

Theory:
2014: Feminism (33)
2015: Theoretical perspectives (for a method/investigation) (33)
2016: Postmodernism (33)
*2017: Conflict v consensus theories -- to our of understanding society (20)

Thank you so much! that's really helpful and nice of you. Btw, I remember you saying that you're retaking and paying for your exams? I've honestly had a change of heart and tbh I really just want to take a gap year and retake sociology since I know i'm capable of a B or above, it's just i've had such a crapppy year lool. I also want to change my Uni course and apply for a high Uni. Do you live in London by any chance?
Thank you so much! that's really helpful and nice of you. Btw, I remember you saying that you're retaking and paying for your exams? I've honestly had a change of heart and tbh I really just want to take a gap year and retake sociology since I know i'm capable of a B or above, it's just i've had such a crapppy year lool. I also want to change my Uni course and apply for a high Uni. Do you live in London by any chance?

Hey, yes I'm retaking my sociology exam. I need an A and now I'm doubting myself but I think crime is my strongest topic in terms of marks I've received from mocks/past papers so hopefully the next paper is easier lol.
You are more than capable, honestly, personally I think sociology is all about memorising and If you do wish to retake I'd recommend already have designed/written answers to example Qs of each topic, which I failed to do, again! There's too much content for everything.

Also I feel like for some people gap year does work however, I feel like I'm lost motivation to study even by taking a third year, but that's just me If taking a gay year helps then I'd say go for it....in that time you could prepare yourself for exams etc.

Also for uni, I've chosen Law and now the first year of modules seem so boring and it's compulsory but not sure how I'll get through it. Also I don't live in London and have applied to Cardiff/Exeter. :smile:
Original post by bibsss
Hey, yes I'm retaking my sociology exam. I need an A and now I'm doubting myself but I think crime is my strongest topic in terms of marks I've received from mocks/past papers so hopefully the next paper is easier lol.
You are more than capable, honestly, personally I think sociology is all about memorising and If you do wish to retake I'd recommend already have designed/written answers to example Qs of each topic, which I failed to do, again! There's too much content for everything.

Also I feel like for some people gap year does work however, I feel like I'm lost motivation to study even by taking a third year, but that's just me If taking a gay year helps then I'd say go for it....in that time you could prepare yourself for exams etc.

Also for uni, I've chosen Law and now the first year of modules seem so boring and it's compulsory but not sure how I'll get through it. Also I don't live in London and have applied to Cardiff/Exeter. :smile:

ohh I see. omg and no don't doubt yourself! you're literally next to the finish line, have positive thoughts. Even if you get a question that you're not fond of, just remember that you'll still smash it regardless! Thank you for your advice. Honestly, I was so hesitant on whether or not I wanted to take a gap year because I got an unconditional offer at goldsmiths uni to study education culture and society. But tbh that's not what I want to do and I don't really want to go there...even though they offered me unconditional. I took the offer since goldsmiths uni is decent but the thing is I know that I can go to a higher uni.. I'd love to do a course at Kings college or Queen Mary, just not sure what degree yet lol. I just kinda want to take a break and work on sociology for a year and get my B/A grade (for my other two A levels i'm really confident in them, and i'm predicted A's so it's calm, it's just i've never had the time to revise for sociology since there's so much content!!!!!! *screams internally* and sociology was DEFINITELY the neglected subject that I did lmao)

and that's amazing that you're going to go to either cardiff or exeter! theyre both really good unis, you should be proud of yourself :smile: I hope you get in! (and you will)

how did you retake btw? did you do it privately or did you join a college? I'm so confused as to how it works tbh. I just want to do it at a centre on the days of my exams and do it independently tbh. Is this what you did or did you join a college?
Trust me I feel the same way.It was hard to incorporate sociologists and everyone found the paper pretty challenging so hopefully the grade boundaries are lowered for this one loll. but don't worry, but because you found it challenging doesn't mean you flopped!

for the 10 marker on the child demography I also wrote about child centredness!(however you spell it LOL) and for my second point I write about the golden age and how childhood is now valued due to the industrial revolution taking place so that means children aren't used as manual labour workers and they are now seen are vulnerable and important members for the next generation in the family. I just tried to link it with demography and all that.

what you wrote is completely fine and good! so I don't think I would worry.

I hope so </3 Not sure how I feel about sociology, since basically everyone found paper 1 and 3 easy so I guess paper 2 is the make or break to split between the A*-A and the rest. In all honestly, I'm a bit worried about the overall grade boundaries since if everyone found 2 of the papers decent then even a lagging paper 2 isn't going to provide overall generous grade boundaries. Considering my entry requirements, sociology pull through honey:adore::adore::adore: What'd you think the grade boundaries will be like?
Original post by Farcarpo
I hope so </3 Not sure how I feel about sociology, since basically everyone found paper 1 and 3 easy so I guess paper 2 is the make or break to split between the A*-A and the rest. In all honestly, I'm a bit worried about the overall grade boundaries since if everyone found 2 of the papers decent then even a lagging paper 2 isn't going to provide overall generous grade boundaries. Considering my entry requirements, sociology pull through honey:adore::adore::adore: What'd you think the grade boundaries will be like?

I honestly think it will be very similar to last year's grade boundaries which were the highest ever in the history of sociology as an A level because this years papers definitely weren't easier than many previous papers even from the old spec which still had low grade boundaries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending