The Student Room Group

What is your general impression about Chinese classmates or colleagues?

I am a Chinese and I am interested in your guys feeling for Chinese people, since some of my foreign friends have some stereotype for Chinese people and I just want to know whether this situation is popular sense. Also I am happy to answer you guys any questions about Chinese. Based on my work experience I will give you a objective response. Thanks!
(edited 5 years ago)
Hello 😁,

I have studied at 2 universities over the last 5 years, first university: I lived in student accommodation and due to a lack of space, I was put in the ‘international student’ halls, there were 4 Chinese students, I got to know them and to this day I remember and admire them - they were honest, friendly, intelligent and hard-working people. In my second university, there are also a lot of international Chinese students and I hold the same opinion. Chinese students and tourists are my favourite. 👍🏼.

If anyone has negative stereotypes, they probably have never got to know a Chinese person. Also, don’t worry, at university, most people are intelligent/open minded.

What’s your opinion on non-Chinese people?
Reply 2
I work with a few and teach a bunch. Staff members are cool as ****, but most of the younger members in our dept are. Students are always polite, if not a little reserved. I'd say it takes then longer than the British students to warm to you and begin to open up, but once they do we can have a laugh.

I had a couple of Chinese mates as a kid, lived down the road. They were sound as well.
Cliquey and largely unwilling to practise English by talking to people outside their culture
What do you mean by Chinese? Anyone from anywhere in China, or just Han Chinese in particular? I have a positive attitude towards Manchus, Uygurs and Inner Mongolians, but Han Chinese was slightly different: at first I didn't like them due to history between China and my country but we had some Han Chinese foreign students come over and they seemed really nice and I felt bad for being prejudice towards them, but from interacting with these students I have a much more positive perspective of Han Chinese people. (I have a mixed opinion on the government however).
that's a stereotype. I dont see that at all. I know many "down" assimilated East Asian citizens and foreigners tbh. Many are straight from as VISA holding students and dont know English, same way many foreigners stay around foreigners in foreigner-friendly areas overseas.

I actually see the Chinese and them lot (Korean, other asians) try too hard to fit in as opposed to blatantly being anti social.

Original post by Exceptional
Cliquey and largely unwilling to practise English by talking to people outside their culture
I work with a lot of chinese students and theyre all really nice. I dont study with them or live with them so idk about that

maybe a bit close minded... geography wise
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
that's a stereotype. I dont see that at all. I know many "down" assimilated East Asian citizens and foreigners tbh. Many are straight from as VISA holding students and dont know English, same way many foreigners stay around foreigners in foreigner-friendly areas overseas.

I actually see the Chinese and them lot (Korean, other asians) try too hard to fit in as opposed to blatantly being anti social.

What I described is my observation at my uni which has lots of Chinese students. However, when I studied abroad in Singapore, the Chinese I met were more willing to engage in English so they could just be intimidated by British culture?
What I described is my observation at my uni which has lots of Chinese students. However, when I studied abroad in Singapore, the Chinese I met were more willing to engage in English so they could just be intimidated by British culture?

I doubt theyre intimidated by british culture if they moved there alone. They either are snobs, or cant speak English, or will break their backs to fit in. That's my observation.
What I described is my observation at my uni

is this Imperial? 😂
Original post by Çharizard
is this Imperial? 😂

Nottingham, we get lots of Chinese exchange students from the Ningbo campus
Nottingham, we get lots of Chinese exchange students from the Ningbo campus

Ahh, that explains it.
smart af

Quick Reply

Latest