The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dkb73
My deadline is on the 7th of June haha, probably due to when I last received my last decision.

True, I guess for me location does still play a large role in my decision. I have also received mixed feelings about this from my friends who study there. As you are quite right, being in St Andrews doesn’t mean you are stuck there and can thus travel to Edinburgh if wished. But do you know why some people might find it ‘boring’? Is it due to clubs, shops etc? I personally am fine in a quiet city and don’t see why there’s much fuss over it.

Also, I wanted to ask about student diversity. As an Asian international student, I’ve been told that the uni has a lot of posh Westerners and some people have told me that to try to discourage me. There are many international students there right?

ahh i never knew UCAS had a special deadline for people who received their offers late. interesting.

Regarding st andrews being boring - when i was on this website 5 years ago, someone said to me "in st andrews we make our own fun" which to me that sounded really bullsh**y. But with st andrews, the more you put in the more you get out. if you actively take part in lots of the societies then you will have an absurdly busy social life! if you sign up to all the societies in Freshers Week but ignore their emails and only attend the odd event, then you will have to rely more on being invited to flat parties.

one thing i will add is that we have more student pubs/bars per person i think of anywhere in the UK... and the only difference between a bar and a club is having a dancefloor. if you are really big on clubbing then st andrews is not for you, i would recommend somewhere like Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds or Manchester. but the student union in st andrews counts as a club and is normally the starting point for Friday nights :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by dkb73
My deadline is on the 7th of June haha, probably due to when I last received my last decision.

True, I guess for me location does still play a large role in my decision. I have also received mixed feelings about this from my friends who study there. As you are quite right, being in St Andrews doesn’t mean you are stuck there and can thus travel to Edinburgh if wished. But do you know why some people might find it ‘boring’? Is it due to clubs, shops etc? I personally am fine in a quiet city and don’t see why there’s much fuss over it.

Also, I wanted to ask about student diversity. As an Asian international student, I’ve been told that the uni has a lot of posh Westerners and some people have told me that to try to discourage me. There are many international students there right?

oh and in answer to your other question

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/international-student-table-2018-top-200-universities

St Andrews is 13th in the world (6th in the UK) for % of international students
Reply 9842
Original post by CollectiveSoul
ahh i never knew UCAS had a special deadline for people who received their offers late. interesting.

Regarding st andrews being boring - when i was on this website 5 years ago, someone said to me "in st andrews we make our own fun" which to me that sounded really bullsh**y. But with st andrews, the more you put in the more you get out. if you actively take part in lots of the societies then you will have an absurdly busy social life! if you sign up to all the societies in Freshers Week but ignore their emails and only attend the odd event, then you will have to rely more on being invited to flat parties.

one thing i will add is that we have more student pubs/bars per person i think of anywhere in the UK... and the only difference between a bar and a club is having a dancefloor. if you are really big on clubbing then st andrews is not for you, i would recommend somewhere like Nottingham, Bristol, Leeds or Manchester. but the student union in st andrews counts as a club and is normally the starting point for Friday nights :smile:

oh and in answer to your other question

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/international-student-table-2018-top-200-universities

St Andrews is 13th in the world (6th in the UK) for % of international students

Thank you! Sorry another question - what about graduate prospects?
Original post by dkb73
Thank you! Sorry another question - what about graduate prospects?

tbh but st andrews job prospects will always be superb if you get work experience during the summer holidays. It depends on your course though - Imperial college london has the best graduate prospects of any university in the UK because it's 100% science degrees and no arts or humanities.

Work experience doesn't have to be an Internship at an investment bank or corporate law firm, even working in a restaurant or bar will show employers that you have the real world experience and customer service to match your education. But to be honest most of my friends at St Andrews ended up doing masters degrees at universities like UCL, Kings College London, Columbia, Yale and Edinburgh, so there's that as well
Hi. On the 2018 Applicants Facebook page there's tickets for The Miles Freshers Pub Golf event and tickets are on sale now - do most freshers go to this event and is it worth getting tickets?
Original post by Mol_ly
Hi. On the 2018 Applicants Facebook page there's tickets for The Miles Freshers Pub Golf event and tickets are on sale now - do most freshers go to this event and is it worth getting tickets?

I've literally never heard of this before. Is there a link you can give us so I can see if I recognise who's selling the tickets?
Original post by Elle97
Anyone here from an MLitt course or about to start one in September?

Yup, I'm going to be doing Security Studies in September! What are you studying?
Original post by la_banane_verte
I've literally never heard of this before. Is there a link you can give us so I can see if I recognise who's selling the tickets?

https://www.facebook.com/events/1372648849446875/?ti=ia

Here:smile:
@Mol_ly

Hey, I've put St A as my firm offer for 2018 entry and I saw your post on the freshers golf event.
I don't have Facebook yet (getting it after exams) and was wondering if there is a deadline for the tickets / how you pay etc.
Do you think you will go? x

Also, what have you applied for? :smile:
Hope A Levels are going well
Original post by abc_123_
@Mol_ly

Hey, I've put St A as my firm offer for 2018 entry and I saw your post on the freshers golf event.
I don't have Facebook yet (getting it after exams) and was wondering if there is a deadline for the tickets / how you pay etc.
Do you think you will go? x

Also, what have you applied for? :smile:
Hope A Levels are going well

Hi! It doesn't say that there is a deadline for the tickets, but the first round of tickets on sale have already sold out, and last years tickets sold out four weeks before the event. They cost £9-£11 and you can order them by the link on the Facebook page - hope this helps! It seems to be very popular and looks fun, so I think I might buy a ticket!
I have applied for History, just hope my A levels are good enough haha:smile: What have you applied for? Good luck with the rest of your exams! x

Hmmm, looks like a waste of money and also a bit dodgy. I don't understand what 'club' they think they'll finish in because there are no clubs (except the Union which will have it's own events, and the Vic which isn't really a club, more like a bar which sometimes has a small dance floor). You can do pub golf for free, and loads of clubs and societies will do pub golf at some point in the semester. Tbh, I suspect that whatever event the Union puts on on that night will be much better and many more people will be at it.
Hmmm, looks like a waste of money and also a bit dodgy. I don't understand what 'club' they think they'll finish in because there are no clubs (except the Union which will have it's own events, and the Vic which isn't really a club, more like a bar which sometimes has a small dance floor). You can do pub golf for free, and loads of clubs and societies will do pub golf at some point in the semester. Tbh, I suspect that whatever event the Union puts on on that night will be much better and many more people will be at it.

Thank you! I think I'll stick to the Union ran event then:smile:
I've received an offer for Philosophy at St Andrews, but I would like to switch to International Relations and Philosophy - Only thing is, IR is AAA and Philosophy is AAB, which I think is what I'll get, so, is this even possible at any point?
Original post by internetpersone
I've received an offer for Philosophy at St Andrews, but I would like to switch to International Relations and Philosophy - Only thing is, IR is AAA and Philosophy is AAB, which I think is what I'll get, so, is this even possible at any point?

The pre-requisites to do IR modules is AAA so if you don't meet the prerequisites, you won't be able to sit any of the modules since it is oversubscribed already.
Original post by Capricancer
The pre-requisites to do IR modules is AAA so if you don't meet the prerequisites, you won't be able to sit any of the modules since it is oversubscribed already.

What if I get A*AAB, with an A in further maths, which is also possible atm? I can't see any specifications of particular subjects you have to do, would this work?
Original post by internetpersone
What if I get A*AAB, with an A in further maths, which is also possible atm? I can't see any specifications of particular subjects you have to do, would this work?

Pre-requisite(s): In taking this module you must have aaab at higher or aaa at A-Level or ib38 or equivalent and you must be a first year student in the faculties of arts and divinity.

Yes, if you have three A's at A-level in any subjects you can sign up for IR as long as you're in the right faculty. If your offer is for MA (Hons) Philosophy then you're in the right faculty :smile:

I would be aware that in the past there has been a ballot for places on IR1005 because it's so damn popular that there's not been a lecture theatre big enough for all the people who wanted to do it, but I couldn't find anything about whether they're doing that again this year.
Pre-requisite(s): In taking this module you must have aaab at higher or aaa at A-Level or ib38 or equivalent and you must be a first year student in the faculties of arts and divinity.

Yes, if you have three A's at A-level in any subjects you can sign up for IR as long as you're in the right faculty. If your offer is for MA (Hons) Philosophy then you're in the right faculty :smile:

I would be aware that in the past there has been a ballot for places on IR1005 because it's so damn popular that there's not been a lecture theatre big enough for all the people who wanted to do it, but I couldn't find anything about whether they're doing that again this year.

Brilliant, just worried about possibly getting a B in Economics
How many people do you know got into St Andrews after missing their offer?

Asking for a friend lol
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
How many people do you know got into St Andrews after missing their offer?

Asking for a friend lol

if you get at least AAB you might be safe, if you get ABB then no chance
if you get at least AAB you might be safe, if you get ABB then no chance

Even if my offer was A*AA I could still get in with AAB?
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending