The Student Room Group

AQA A Level French - Paper 2 7652/2 - 20th June 2018 [Exam Discussion]

AQA A Level French Exam Discussion thread

Thread for discussing paper 2 of the AQA new specification A level French and any revision you do in preparation for it!

The exam:

20th June 2018 (AM)

2 Hours

80 marks and 20% of the A level

Assesses our writing skills and our knowledge of two set texts or films

As this is the first year of the specification, there are very few resources so if anyone knows any useful websites or revision tips please comment them below!

Some Useful links:
Specification
Specimen Paper | Mark scheme | 'Examiner's report' |

AS Specimen Paper (easier than A Level questions but could still be used as a revision tool)

Exam Discussion for Paper 1 can be found here
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi there, does anyone have any advice about revisiting content for the book and the film (I'm doing Un Sac de Billes and La Haine) because i've been planning all the specimen essays for A2 and AS and also the ones for last year and I just keep feeling like I know nothing.
I'm also struggling to analyse rather than narrate the story, and feel really underprepared.
Original post by JeSuisBaguette
Hi there, does anyone have any advice about revisiting content for the book and the film (I'm doing Un Sac de Billes and La Haine) because i've been planning all the specimen essays for A2 and AS and also the ones for last year and I just keep feeling like I know nothing.
I'm also struggling to analyse rather than narrate the story, and feel really underprepared.

ahh i'm in the same boat!! i find it so hard to prepare for what might come up when there's only one example paper.. i think for analysing you just have to keep linking it back to the question, like if the question was a theme you could narrate a little bit and then say how that presents a particular aspect of the theme? if that makes sense :smile:

all i can think to do for revision is watch the film, read the book, make notes on each and write as many practise essays as i can... i feel like that really helps me to feel more confident, i did loads for my english and it helped a lot, also at my college there are literally 2 people in my class so my teacher will have time to go over the paper individually, but I think thats really helpful so yeah my advice would be to write some full practise essays and get it marked and see how you can improve :smile: good luck!!!
if anyone is doing Au Revoir Les Enfants (long shot probably!!) does anyone know the name of the fat kid? (sorry if that's rude i dont know how else to describe him!!) he sits next to julien and calls jean a heretic, and he faints at the start bc he says he's anaemic. i can't find his name literally anywhere and it's really frustrating because I need to talk about him sometimes :biggrin:
Im struggling to revise them too. I feel very anxious for what could come up, especially for Un Sac de Billes! I'm finding Quizlet really useful for essay phrases and quotes, creating essay plans is also a great way to put all your ideas on to paper :smile:
Anyone able to help with an introduction 'template' that can be applied to the film essay or even better specifically to La Haine?Thanks.
Original post by kittyhawk
if anyone is doing Au Revoir Les Enfants (long shot probably!!) does anyone know the name of the fat kid? (sorry if that's rude i dont know how else to describe him!!) he sits next to julien and calls jean a heretic, and he faints at the start bc he says he's anaemic. i can't find his name literally anywhere and it's really frustrating because I need to talk about him sometimes :biggrin:

I think he's called Babinot
anyone got a list of essay questions for bonjour tristesse or la haine? no clue how to revise tbh
Original post by ithinkitslily
anyone got a list of essay questions for bonjour tristesse or la haine? no clue how to revise tbh

Here's this list I've got. Obviously the biggest difference between the AS and A2 ones is that we don't get bullet points this year!

Examinez la représentation de la police dans ce film. Vous pouvez utiliser les points suivants :
le comportement général de la police dans le film
le comportement et les actions de Samir
le comportement de la police envers Hubert et Saïd.
le comportement et les actions de ‘Notre-Dame’.

Examinez jusqu’à quel point les trois personnages principaux sont des personnages réalistes ou des stéréotypes. Vous pouvez utiliser les points suivants :
leurs tempéraments personnels
leurs caractéristiques
leur comportement et leurs actions dans le film
leurs rôles individuels dans le film.

Examinez les similarités et les différences entre Saïd, Vinz et Hubert dans La Haine. Vous pouvez utiliser les points suivants :
comment ils sont physiquement
comment sont leurs tempéraments
leurs actions au cours du film et leur motivation
une scène qui illustre bien leurs caractères.

« Le titre du film La Haine est bien choisi car il reflète exactement le thème principal du film. » Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce jugement ? Vous pouvez utiliser les points suivants :
une explication du thème principal du film
le lien entre ce thème et le titre du film
une scène qui exemplifie le thème principal
le tempérament des personnages principaux du film et leur lien avec le titre.

« Pour beaucoup de critiques, La Haine est un chef d’œuvre du cinéma. » Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce jugement ?

« Les trois jeunes protagonistes de La Haine ne sont que des stéréotypes généraux et le scénario est peu probable. » Dans quelle mesure êtes-vous d’accord avec ce jugement ?
Hey,Is anyone studying L'etranger (Camus) or Un long dimanche de fiançailles? Do you know if there are any sample essays anywhere that I could look at, I'm struggling to structure the essays and make my points clear and concise.Thanks :smile:
Original post by JeSuisBaguette
x

ahhh thank you sm! ah i wish we had the bullet points lol
Original post by languagesgeek
I think he's called Babinot

ahh ty! i wasn't sure, i thought babinot was that small kid who always gets shouted at by the teachers, but it's never really clear who they're talking about since they just go "Babinot stop it" but you don't see who they're talking to!! lol
Original post by Dougal Stagg
Anyone able to help with an introduction 'template' that can be applied to the film essay or even better specifically to La Haine?Thanks.

my teacher always says that it makes a good introduction if you can briefly describe what you think the question means? An example (for another film but just to illustrate) is if you had a question asking about the theme of childhood, you could write a few lines saying what is the meaning of childhood, i.e. innocence, having fun, not having to look after anyone, and then that gives you things you can bounce off of and find examples of kids being innocent, having fun etc.

If it's not something you can define I'd just try to summarise your essay plan in a few sentences if you wrote one out :smile:

Hope that helps!
my teacher always says that it makes a good introduction if you can briefly describe what you think the question means? An example (for another film but just to illustrate) is if you had a question asking about the theme of childhood, you could write a few lines saying what is the meaning of childhood, i.e. innocence, having fun, not having to look after anyone, and then that gives you things you can bounce off of and find examples of kids being innocent, having fun etc.

If it's not something you can define I'd just try to summarise your essay plan in a few sentences if you wrote one out :smile:

Hope that helps!
Do you enjoy French? How fluent would you say you are?
Original post by ProRoadman
Do you enjoy French? How fluent would you say you are?

I really enjoy it! I'm going to do it at university this year:smile: i'm not sure how to say how fluent i am, i could hold a conversation and write a long essay (mostly) without a dictionary, so I guess I'm on my way to being completely fluent, but I wouldn't say I am 100% since I still make mistakes especially when speaking, and get hung up on words I don't know and have no idea how to explain :biggrin:
ahh ty! i wasn't sure, i thought babinot was that small kid who always gets shouted at by the teachers, but it's never really clear who they're talking about since they just go "Babinot stop it" but you don't see who they're talking to!! lol

I thought Babinot was the small kid too. I don't think he's the one you're talking about but I might be wrong. I'm not even sure if he's given a name or not :s-smilie:.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bulbasaur10
I thought Babinot was the small kid too. I don't think he's the one you're talking about but I might be wrong. I'm not even sure if he's given a name or not :s-smilie:.

i don't think he is, i've been through the whole film and the credits searching... i think i've narrowed it down and it's likely either Boulanger or Sagard :/
i don't think he is, i've been through the whole film and the credits searching... i think i've narrowed it down and it's likely either Boulanger or Sagard :/

I think he might be Boulanger actually... so yeah. But I wouldn't risk writing it. :redface: I've seen him described as 'la grosse brute' if that helps.
Original post by Bulbasaur10
I think he might be Boulanger actually... so yeah. But I wouldn't risk writing it. :redface: I've seen him described as 'la grosse brute' if that helps.

Haha true!! I'd feel bad writing that but I guess it is kind of the only thing that separates him from the other boys lol
just spent ages writing this and it all got f****d up because of some stupid pop up on the website, however despite my anger, I am writing it all over again, well not really im not going into the detail i dont have time now, but anyway, to anybody doing au revoir les enfants here is a couple of reallly good links, and to anyone else doing anything ever, go on google.fr, put the results to french only, and search "enter name here" synopsis, look at the pdf and things that need downloading, because theyre normally resources to be used by teachers or students uploaded on school servers, so theyre almost always better than what any book written by an english person summarising it all would never really be able to do the same way. I live in France and all these documents i recognis from past years in school, so yeah

http://www.cnc.fr/web/fr/fiche-eleve?p_p_auth=1TQljXWq&p_p_id=20&p_p_lifecycle=1&p_p_state=exclusive&p_p_mode=view&p_p_col_id=column-1&p_p_col_count=1&_20_struts_action=%2Fdocument_library%2Fget_file&_20_folderId=2557714&_20_name=DLFE-34103.pdf

and gimme a sec ill find the other one I lost it thanks to this wonderful (NOT) system of pop ups

https://cdn.reseau-canope.fr/archivage/valid/N-9296-13835.pdf

theyre by the same company/organisation thing whis is the national institute of cinema or something along those lines, and theres also the cresits for whoever was looking for character names etc

hope this helps!

good luck to us all! 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending