The Student Room Group

Gender is like your hands

You can be left handed or right handed. You can also be ambidextrous, perhaps with one of your hands being slightly stronger. You can also have no hands if you've been in a horrible accident.

You can be male or female. You can also be both, perhaps with one side being slightly stronger. You can also have no gender if you've been in a horrible accident.

Scroll to see replies

You can be male or female. You can also be both, perhaps with one side being slightly stronger. You can also have no gender if you've been in a horrible accident.

You can have no gender after a horrible accident.......like I'm in a car crash and suddenly I have no gender?
Up until that point I liked your reasoning
Or you can also have no particular gender even if you haven’t been in a horrible accident, because that just happens to be how you are. This is the hole in an otherwise very good analogy - you can live a happy, healthy, and productive life as an agender or nonbinary person, whereas doing that with no hands would be more difficult.
Original post by ThomH97
You can be left handed or right handed. You can also be ambidextrous, perhaps with one of your hands being slightly stronger. You can also have no hands if you've been in a horrible accident.

And also right hand is more dominant than left hand 😉
Reply 4
you don't even know you have a gender until someone tells you you do. it's a useless concept; i wish we could scrap it all including non-binary, cis etc. i have better things to identify with.
Reply 5
Or, we can just get rid of the concept of gender all together then there'd be no need for such awkward comparisons?
Horrible accident lool! As in the ding dong or the cleft got injured loll
Reply 7
I'm yet to see a reasonable explanation on how 'gender' differs from personality. As far as I'm concerned it's just another made up term for attention seekers.
Gender isn't equal to sex, it's not that simple and just two is very restrictive and has no options for those who don't follow the norm. It's not as simple as counting to 2
youre full of ****
Original post by Joleee
you don't even know you have a gender until someone tells you you do. it's a useless concept; i wish we could scrap it all including non-binary, cis etc. i have better things to identify with.

What would you identify with then? How would men then know that women are women and vice versa? And how would you know whether or not you and your partner were able to conceive?(biologically that is)
yes it is your hands two hands two genders whoda thunk it
Original post by kunoichinin
Also hands have fingers so genders have 10 fingers too yay!!! F*ck off woth ur ret*rded white british sh*t anology attention seeker

Im not white I am a slav
Original post by Dheorl
Or, we can just get rid of the concept of gender all together then there'd be no need for such awkward comparisons?

well gender and sex are biological not conceptual sooooooooooooooooo no
Reply 14
Original post by Korean_Beatings

Sex is biological for sure, gender, on the other hand, doesn't even exist.

Original post by MrPyjamaMan162
What would you identify with then? How would men then know that women are women and vice versa? And how would you know whether or not you and your partner were able to conceive?(biologically that is)

Usually you can tell that someone is male or female by taking a cursory glance at them or hearing their voice for a second.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by MrPyjamaMan162

huh? you know that biology and gender are two separate things, right?

you can tell i'm a woman by looking at me. i look like a woman. never been confused for anything else.
Reply 16
Original post by Korean_Beatings

Really? Which part of my biology determines my gender?
Original post by Dheorl
Really? Which part of my biology determines my gender?

Ur willy. Gender = Sex.
gender is connected to genitals/sex. It's simple. You're a boy if you have a penis, you're a girl if you have a snatch, get over it.
Reply 19
Original post by kunoichinin
Ur willy. Gender = Sex.

So if they're exactly the same thing, we still reach an end point where gender is completely useless, because we already have a word to describe it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending