The Student Room Group

Uber driver "kicks lesbian couple out of car for kissing"

A lesbian couple in New York were kicked out of their Uber reportedly after their shared a quick kiss.

After the quick peck, the driver pulled over the car and asked them to get out, telling them what they had did was "illegal"

You can read the full story here

What do you make of this? Have you ever experienced anything like this?

Scroll to see replies

He's an idiotic driver getting offended by a kiss, he has lost his app access, so thats good. It's annoying to see that people can get so up in arms about someone being attracted to another person.
That should be perfectly fine. Uber drivers should be able to take who they want
He's free to have his own opinion but damn, the way he acted was disgusting. Glad he is facing he consequences.
Reply 4
Slightly old news but he's lost his job after this ordeal.
Either they were ugly or he was gay :colone:
Original post by kunoichinin
That should be perfectly fine. Uber drivers should be able to take who they want

The way the app works means they actually can't see anything besides things like rider rating and pickup location. So they already can't 'take who they want' even putting aside the fact that this is highly discriminatory.

The sexuality of their riders is entirely irrelevant to their journey, and unless the driver was being physically or verbally threatened by them, he had absolutely no reason to kick them out.
I wonder if he would have done the same if it had been two blokes built like **** brick houses. I think not. He put his hands on one of the women.
Original post by Seamus123
I wonder if he would have done the same if it had been two blokes built like **** brick houses. I think not. He put his hands on one of the women.

Disgraceful behaviour the women should of taken legal action imo, what a d*ckhead
His car his rules. And besides it's a taxi they should control their behaviour. UBER should be ashamed of how they've handled this
Regardless of how it was done, the general principle is that it's his car, that's like arresting you if you kick someone out of your house who you don't want in. At this rate that'll happen. Sick of personal feelings hijacking your rights.
after watching the video I'm even more wound up. Sure the guy is a foreigner with views that are weird to them but first of all, what trash actually hails an uber? Reserve it on the app like a normal person instead of basically hitchhiking.

And 2, who kisses in a stranger's presence? Keep it to yourself. It's not a cab, it's a private person's vehicle and you should respect their property and views and act decently. *I mean hailing an uber especially in broad daylight is hardly romantic. Why kiss? How inconsiderate to the driver. If you visit someones home for the first time, do you kiss on their couch in front of their face? Ugh. Troublemakers those two.

3rd, these entitled brats blowing the situation out of proportion arguing on the side of the road and recording live acting like victims like typical sjw millenials does my head in. Just leave and report him later if you must. Plus, recording is one-sided, you dont know what happened before hand.

4th..ly, an uber in NYC? Can you say privileged hipster? Who does that in a big city? Public transport is way quicker and cheaper for one way than uber. Weirdos.
(edited 5 years ago)
We are all of different opinions. He had the final call since it was his car, but dayum he should've at the very least not got his ass recorded.

You can do anything you want, but if you let yourself get caught; then you in sh*t.
Original post by LibertarianMP
His car his rules. And besides it's a taxi they should control their behaviour. UBER should be ashamed of how they've handled this

Sorry, but no - he was working for Uber, he should be following their policies, not making up their own. Besides which, a peck is hardly inappropriate behaviour in the first place, I highly doubt he would have done the same for a straight couple.
Original post by shadowdweller
Sorry, but no - he was working for Uber, he should be following their policies, not making up their own. Besides which, a peck is hardly inappropriate behaviour in the first place, I highly doubt he would have done the same for a straight couple.

No driver works for UBER. He represents them. So what UBER did is wrong but then again UBER is a toxic company for pathetic millennials.
Reply 15
these girls were really pretty too. i'm surprised; i thought boys liked watching that kind of stuff.
Original post by Londonsfinest
No driver works for UBER. He represents them. So what UBER did is wrong but then again UBER is a toxic company for pathetic millennials.

Regardless, it's the same answer as I said before, just with a different phrasing. He represents Uber, so he should represent their views. Uber would be well within their rights to cease association with such homophobic behaviour, in my view.

In actuality as far as I can see they've only condemned his actions, and I see no wrongdoing from them there; the riders were not being unreasonable by sharing a peck, and it shouldn't even need saying that he was clearly wrong about it being illegal.
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Regardless of how it was done, the general principle is that it's his car, that's like arresting you if you kick someone out of your house who you don't want in. At this rate that'll happen. Sick of personal feelings hijacking your rights.

It's not like he was an acquaintance giving them a lift as a favour? Sure it's his car in a literal sense. That, however, doesn't mean he can just boot them out when he feels like it when he's on a job, when they've done nothing wrong.
Original post by Joleee
these girls were really pretty too. i'm surprised; i thought boys liked watching that kind of stuff.

it's called morals, not everyone gets a stiffy jus cos two random girls are kissing, not everyone is a wet virgin or a Geordie Shore ****boi, **** me what is society man. I dont agree with the Ahmed dude partly, but I definitely dont agree with him getting SACKED over this, because if Uber kept sacking people over kicking people out of their own cars, Uber would go out of business, they'd have no drivers, only a bunch of self-satisfied former customers. Ridiculous. He should be embarrassed for being online and then, if a patron so chooses to not use him if they recognise him, then ok. He might've been a good driver for Uber, knowledgeable of the place, good rates, fast arrival, safe driver, clean car, etc.
Original post by shadowdweller
It's not like he was an acquaintance giving them a lift as a favour? Sure it's his car in a literal sense. That, however, doesn't mean he can just boot them out when he feels like it when he's on a job, when they've done nothing wrong.

k thats great I wont bother arguing this with you because I know you're (far) left and only being subjective :borat:

Quick Reply

Latest