The Student Room Group

Should I listen to the university rankings?

Hello! I have to decide between two universities and don't know what to do. The one I prefer is really down on the rankings and the other is in the top 20. Should I choose the university based on its place in the rankings? Please, give me some advice.
Are these general rankings or subject specific ones? I'd pay more attention to the subject specific rankings than general ones.

If the top 20 one is a well known name, and the lower one isn't, that may have some bearing on your employment prospects all other things being equal. However, if you prefer the course at the lower ranked uni, then it may well be a better course for you/your ambitions and goals.

There are lots of things you can do to help your employability as well, such as gaining work experience and contacts in the field you want to go into. Getting good results at uni will also help.

It's three years of your life, so don't go somewhere where you will be miserable!
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Are these general rankings or subject specific ones? I'd pay more attention to the subject specific rankings than general ones.

If the top 20 one is a well known name, and the lower one isn't, that may have some bearing on your employment prospects all other things being equal. However, if you prefer the course at the lower ranked uni, then it may well be a better course for you/your ambitions and goals.

There are lots of things you can do to help your employability as well, such as gaining work experience and contacts in the field you want to go into. Getting good results at uni will also help.

It's three years of your life, so don't go somewhere where you will be miserable!

The universities are Greenwich and Sunderland and the subject is tourism management. Sunderland is ranked on 2nd place by the subject, while Greenwich is on 26th. Also in the general ranking, Sunderland is still before Greenwich.
Original post by lorablazheva
The universities are Greenwich and Sunderland and the subject is tourism management. Sunderland is ranked on 2nd place by the subject, while Greenwich is on 26th. Also in the general ranking, Sunderland is still before Greenwich.

Honestly, neither uni is that well known, and Greenwich probably has more name recognition. London will also have more opportunities to get experience in the industry- so if you prefer Greenwich then that's the reason to chose it!

However, there's also probably a reason why Sunderland is 2nd for the subject.

Ultimately, though, three years is a long time to be somewhere where you're not happy.
Reply 4
Hello! I have to decide between two universities and don't know what to do. The one I prefer is really down on the rankings and the other is in the top 20. Should I choose the university based on its place in the rankings? Please, give me some advice.

Have you visited them? And which course do *you* prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would go with Greenwich, at least you will have a nice time in London, sunderland is a dire place lol. Connections with the tourism industry could likely also be forged, (London does a bit of tourism) more then any other place in europe actually lol.

Go to Sunderland, unless you really like it at Greenwich. 26th ranking for such an obscure subject is pretty poor, I doubt you’ll get anywhere near the quality of Sunderland’s course at Greenwich.
Which university did you go to??? I am stuck in between choosing Greenwich or Sunderland too for biomedical science
Reply 8
Original post by Dilshani8
Which university did you go to??? I am stuck in between choosing Greenwich or Sunderland too for biomedical science

Have you visited them?

Our advice would be to visit both campuses to get a good feel for the place. As mentioned above, three years is a long time to spend somewhere unhappy or in a place that doesn't suit your interests.

The University has over 100 years of expertise in teaching science and our Biomedical course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), the professional body for those who work within the field of biomedical science

Living in Sunderland is also a great experience, it has the perfect combination of city and seaside living and is a friendly, diverse and affordable place for you to live and study. It's the second most affordable city in the UK, according to a 2018 ‘Graduate salaries in the UK’ survey conducted by Prospects Luminate and in the 2018 Liveability Index, Sunderland was named as the best place to live for the under 30s due to low living costs, high job satisfaction, and general happiness and wellbeing.

One of our student bloggers blogged about their experience studying Biomedical Science which you may find useful to read.
You can also check out our Virtual Tour here. It'll give you an immersive view into our facilities and you can also explore some of our extraordinary spaces, all from the comfort of your own home.

Please do reach out if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Our advice would be to visit both campuses to get a good feel for the place. As mentioned above, three years is a long time to spend somewhere unhappy or in a place that doesn't suit your interests.

The University has over 100 years of expertise in teaching science and our Biomedical course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science (IBMS), the professional body for those who work within the field of biomedical science

Living in Sunderland is also a great experience, it has the perfect combination of city and seaside living and is a friendly, diverse and affordable place for you to live and study. It's the second most affordable city in the UK, according to a 2018 ‘Graduate salaries in the UK’ survey conducted by Prospects Luminate and in the 2018 Liveability Index, Sunderland was named as the best place to live for the under 30s due to low living costs, high job satisfaction, and general happiness and wellbeing.

One of our student bloggers blogged about their experience studying Biomedical Science which you may find useful to read.
You can also check out our Virtual Tour here. It'll give you an immersive view into our facilities and you can also explore some of our extraordinary spaces, all from the comfort of your own home.

Please do reach out if you have any more questions :smile:

Thank you for the reply. It sound great and I will check these blogs.
Thank you for the reply. It sound great and I will check these blogs.

No problem!
You know where to find us if you need anything further :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending