The Student Room Group

Phrases to Learn for GCSE German Writing?

Got German writing as my last exam next week and I really want to do well. I'm trying to learn my orals again in the hope that I'll be able to use them. Even after using my orals, though, I normally have a bit left to write so any suggestions for phrases that show good linguistic capability (!) would be much appreciated cheers.
With French we were told to show higher levels to use a few idioms and the more complex tenses (so in french it could be the subjunctive but I don’t know about German:lol:)
Relearning the oral answers is so useful, I only relearnt a few for french but ended up being able to put them into my writing:woo:
Best of luck:hugs:
Reply 2
Original post by Toastiekid
With French we were told to show higher levels to use a few idioms and the more complex tenses (so in french it could be the subjunctive but I don’t know about German:lol:)
Relearning the oral answers is so useful, I only relearnt a few for french but ended up being able to put them into my writing:woo:
Best of luck:hugs:

ah cheers hadn't thought of idioms! that's so lucky my friends that took French found it quite hard (AQA)
Original post by jmsk_
ah cheers hadn't thought of idioms! that's so lucky my friends that took French found it quite hard (AQA)

I’m edexcel so that might explain the difference.
although I said that I actually forgot to put them in my writing:colondollar:. Something I also meant to do (but didn’t) was including adverbs; they’re basic but a lot of people (incl me) forget about them!
Original post by jmsk_
Got German writing as my last exam next week and I really want to do well. I'm trying to learn my orals again in the hope that I'll be able to use them. Even after using my orals, though, I normally have a bit left to write so any suggestions for phrases that show good linguistic capability (!) would be much appreciated cheers.

Hi, I did my German GCSE lant year and I'm doing Alevel now. My advise is to learn key phrases for each topic that fulfil the grammar requirement they want, eg at alevel you neef to include a passive phrase which I struggle to include, so I learn a passive and very general phrase for each topic that I can always include. Eg environment - Die umwelt muss geschutzed werden - The environment must be protected. Try doing something like that so you include all the grammar you need to.

Idioms are a really good idea btw.
Reply 5
Original post by Toastiekid
I’m edexcel so that might explain the difference.
although I said that I actually forgot to put them in my writing:colondollar:. Something I also meant to do (but didn’t) was including adverbs; they’re basic but a lot of people (incl me) forget about them!

Ah I see. Okay cheers I'll try and remember a few.
Reply 6
Original post by MaizieAmyr
Hi, I did my German GCSE lant year and I'm doing Alevel now. My advise is to learn key phrases for each topic that fulfil the grammar requirement they want, eg at alevel you neef to include a passive phrase which I struggle to include, so I learn a passive and very general phrase for each topic that I can always include. Eg environment - Die umwelt muss geschutzed werden - The environment must be protected. Try doing something like that so you include all the grammar you need to.

Ah yeah my teacher's long been suggesting this 😅 thanks!
Original post by jmsk_
Ah yeah my teacher's long been suggesting this 😅 thanks!

Glad I could help :hugs:
Reply 8
hey in doing german aswell next week! i think i am most scared for the reading and writing as they require you to know the exact vocabulary
Reply 9
mähen äbte klee?

Nevermind, anyway: use the passive, use adverbs, and don't sound robotic. It's okay and even good to go slightly off topic (as long as it still fits the bullet points), don't let the examiners read another essay on the eye colour of your second cousin.

Here are some quality phrases:
Von mir aus...
Ich bin der Ansicht, dass...
Ich habe die Entscheidung getroffen,...zu...
Original post by crybabynessie
mähen äbte klee?

Nevermind, anyway: use the passive, use adverbs, and don't sound robotic. It's okay and even good to go slightly off topic (as long as it still fits the bullet points), don't let the examiners read another essay on the eye colour of your second cousin.

Here are some quality phrases:
Von mir aus...
Ich bin der Ansicht, dass...
Ich habe die Entscheidung getroffen,...zu...

I didn't know you did german! :laugh: Are you bilingual (dutch or something) or just good at languages?
Reply 11
I didn't know you did german! :laugh: Are you bilingual (dutch or something) or just good at languages?

I'm half-german, and would say I'm pretty good at languages as well. (Hint: the more you speak, the easier it gets). Irrelevant, but I really want to learn Mandarin. Didn't realise you have German GCSE, are you German by any chance?
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm half-german, and would say I'm pretty good at languages as well. (Hint: the more you speak, the easier it gets). Irrelevant, but I really want to learn Mandarin.

I'm also half german! :five:
Being bilingual makes me bad at languages :laugh: because I didn't realize until recently that grammar exists :facepalm:
Yeah, I noticed I've been getting rusty since I haven't been going to my usual lessons (due to GCSEs)
Always a good think to aspire I suppose :smile:
Reply 13
I'm also half german! :five:
Being bilingual makes me bad at languages :laugh: because I didn't realize until recently that grammar exists :facepalm:
Yeah, I noticed I've been getting rusty since I haven't been going to my usual lessons (due to GCSEs)
Always a good think to aspire I suppose :smile:

I did my GCSE in Year 9, but am continuing to self-study. The A-Level didn't really appeal to me, because I had no motivation to study literature etc. I can totally relate on the grammar aspect, being able to speak it sort of naturally makes learning the grammar formally really confusing.

not to be that person but it should read 'die Umwelt muss geschützt werden' :smile:
Original post by lostintrnslation
not to be that person but it should read 'die Umwelt muss geschützt werden' :smile:

No, good of you to correct me :laugh: as I said, I'm out of practice :dontknow:
I did my GCSE in Year 9, but am continuing to self-study. The A-Level didn't really appeal to me, because I had no motivation to study literature etc. I can totally relate on the grammar aspect, being able to speak it sort of naturally makes learning the grammar formally really confusing.

Yeah, the difficult life of being bilingual :laugh:
Gleischaltung
dolchstoss
untermenchen
kristallnakt

only german i know and it came - history
shaizzaaaa, so scared . Its going to be hard
Who ****ing asked

Quick Reply

Latest